Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Tell me about dummies

(25 Posts)
Toadsrevisited Wed 25-Jun-14 20:42:53

Am now using a dummy with 5 month old DS. I didn't want to, usual reasons- thought they were ugly and unnecessary. Silly really. He refused it in the depths of 3 months colic but today accepted it- teething and exhausted. Am I using it correctly though? I sterilised it in boiling water and cooled it. He is using it to get to sleep- do i take it out once he's asleep or not? Are there any other things I need to know to use it safely?

Mrsjayy Wed 25-Jun-14 20:49:52

Dummies are safe why dont you think they are not , does hecspitvit out when he is asleep I would leave it, when he is crawling about you dont need to sterilise it, I used to give dds hers for sleeping or whingey and never let her talk with it in,

Blankiefan Wed 25-Jun-14 20:52:22

We have a gazillion dummies (one you're in, you're in!) and chuck them in the steriliser with the bottles. If it gets dropped tho, I just run it under water (I'm not buying that it "helps baby's immune system " if you "clean" it but licking it before putting it back in... hmm

DDs falls out once she falls asleep so I leave it out. She will grab for it if she wakes in the night to help her settleherself, so I'd say let it fall out but leave it in the cot. Try not to let him have it during the day as he needs to be able to babble.

Mrsjayy Wed 25-Jun-14 20:53:49

Urgh licinng it to put t back in makes me heave,

Mrsjayy Wed 25-Jun-14 20:54:13

Licking obviously

Samedaydifferentusername Wed 25-Jun-14 20:54:59

Dummies are actually recommended by FOundation for SIDS as slightly reducing instances of SIDS in babies. I think they say that the risk is reduced even when the dummy falls out while sleeping.

Just sterilise like other things.

They are great for teaching self settling.

Only big downside is getting them off them, dd is 2.5 and still uses hers for sleeping.

frames Wed 25-Jun-14 20:58:20

I did feel judged when dd had hers in on tube home in school uniform. She still naps with her thumb in on the cushions at after school club at her grand age. They work. Folk will think you are common. The peace is worth it.

Mrsjayy Wed 25-Jun-14 20:59:39

Dd still had hers at 3 for bedtime it had gone by her 4th birthday, dd2 had hrr sookie blanket till she was 8

elQuintoConyo Wed 25-Jun-14 21:03:45

DS still has one at night, or if we are out and about in the pushchair/in the car and he's super grouchy.

He started with it at about 3 months, just at the end of his colic.

I don't feel I've ever been judged (ie maybe I have but don't realise), and I have never judged anyone else for using one, even on an older-looking child.

For me, it's such a small thing in the grand scheme of things smile

missknows Wed 25-Jun-14 21:04:22

How long do you all keep yours for as we use avent ones and the leaflet says to discard after 4 weeks. We buy 4 at a time and my husband insists on throwing them away 'because it says so'. I even told him they probably write that to make you buy more but he doesn't care.

MargotThreadbetter Wed 25-Jun-14 21:05:59

They are great when they're tiny, but DS is now 21 months and still loves his dummy - I hate the damn things now! God help me if I forget it when we go out hmm

Toadsrevisited Wed 25-Jun-14 21:07:19

That's how I feel frames. I am at the end of my tether and it works, so sod appearances quite frankly. DS is exclusively breastfeed so I'm not used to sterilising you see.

MargotThreadbetter Wed 25-Jun-14 21:08:48

missknows just give them a tug before you wash and sterilise them. They'll be fine! Your little one will be merrily flinging them out of the pram at some point and you'll be replacing them constantly then grin

frames Wed 25-Jun-14 21:11:52

We lost so many, changing wasn't a problem. We had clip to try to help reduce the rate at which we lost them. We used NUK. Dd got use to that brand as was had NUK bottle fed then had their sucky cup spouts too. Stopped steralising once we stopped using formula,and then dummies got brushed at same time as teeth.

missknows Wed 25-Jun-14 21:15:18

I didn't understand sterilising either but ended up buying a dummy tree steriliser from Amazon. It was about £8 and is fab. Has 6 branches to hang dummies on and a marker on the lid to show you how much water to use then pop in microwave for 1 min.

I leave the dummy in the cot as baby only uses it for sleep but change it each day and night so only need to sterilise them every 2 days.

thatstoast Wed 25-Jun-14 21:17:39

Why would you need to replace them every month? It didn't even occur to me to read the dummy 'instructions' so DS has had the same ones for about 4 months.

MrNobody Wed 25-Jun-14 21:20:34

I gave DD a dummy until the age of two. By then it was just for sleeping with.

Even though we used the orthodontic ones, she still went a bit buck toothed. I only realised this when looking back at old photos. Her teeth have sorted themselves out now though.

I used to sterilise them by boiling them all in a pan of water for a few minutes. Then transfered them to a clean box. I remember carrying around spares in the cases the dummies were bought in.

I'd use a dummy again if I had another DC. It would depend on how desperate I am I think!

MrNobody Wed 25-Jun-14 21:22:25

I always used a fresh dymny after brushing her teeth too!

elQuintoConyo Wed 25-Jun-14 22:59:31

Oh, DS ^^ is 2.6.

He also has a favourite bear which he is glued to.

I have a rabbit I've had since my first Christmas. I stopped sleeping with her at about aged 32. I'd shared the bed with her and DH for nearly ten years by then blush shock grin

She lives high up on a shelf out of DS' grubby, sticky-fingered reach.

DS has a stack of frickin stuffed toys and has shown zero interest in any of them. I'm sure his noonoo bear won't be going to secondary school with him grin

adsy Wed 25-Jun-14 23:04:56

missknows do younot have access to a pan and boiling water?!

missknows Thu 26-Jun-14 03:57:29

Of course I do but the dummy tree is far easier ands quicker and it's handy, clean storage too.

KatyN Thu 26-Jun-14 07:34:52

My boy was in nicu at birth and the nurses asked what we felt about a dummy. As everything else we had hoped for hadn't gone to plan, we said we were open to their recommendations. I have never seen someone move so fast!

They are really good for learning to suck. My chap doesn't use one as a silencer, he just holds it to the side and shouts. He's 2.5 and it's for sleeping and bedtime calm down.. Generally when he's in his pjs he can have one.

No hurry to get rid. It brings him too much joy.

K

Zadocthepriest Thu 26-Jun-14 21:09:03

Both older children had dummies, saved my sanity. Sterliised like bottles, stopped when using trainer cups. Swapped dummies for Barbie/Action Man at 3.5 years, no problem. Also, if I wanted the child to have a nap, gave dummy. If not the right time to sleep, no dummy. Total control!

Number 3 would have nothing to do with dummies....now 18 and still sucks her thumb in public! (even with 2 years of hospital orthodontic treatment)

Zadocthepriest Thu 26-Jun-14 21:11:36

And you can't sterilise a thumb!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now