Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

If you asked your 10yo and 7yo whether they wanted to go to Disney or Turkey where would they choose?

(28 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Wed 25-Jun-14 19:35:37

We can't afford a holiday this year, so I said I'll try and get them to Disney Land, Paris after Christmas instead.

DD1 asked yesterday if we could got to Turkey next summer instead. I said maybe, but it's one or the other, Disney or Turkey.

Dd2 asked today if we are going to Turkey and not Disney. She'd rather go to Turkey. To the same hotel we stayed in last time. With her dad. She won't go unless he can come too.

I'm concerned that this is not their idea.

MsVanRein Wed 25-Jun-14 19:39:24

I only have a baby DS so don't know what he would say, but I would rather go to Disneyland and I'm 24!

I know DP's younger siblings and cousins - all between 5 and 15 would choose Disney too as we just talked this past weekend about holidays!

youbethemummylion Wed 25-Jun-14 19:47:25

Turkey over Disney everytime unless it was Disney in Florida that is.

Luckymum87 Wed 25-Jun-14 19:49:37

Disney everytime!

BallyGoBackwards Wed 25-Jun-14 19:50:55

I have a 12 year old and a 10 year old. We have been to Disney Paris twice and we have gone to the same hotel in Lanzarote for the last two years. I know if I gave them the choice between the two places now, they would both pick Lanzarote (purely for the resort we stayed in) They loved it smile

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 25-Jun-14 19:54:31

Maybe I am just being overly suspicious.

It just seems odd that they were both overjoyed at the thought of Disneyand now changed their minds in favor of somewhere we used to go with ex.

Dd1 never mentioned him, but dd2 has specifically said that she will not go to Turkey if he can't come, she'd rather not have a holiday.

DottyDot Wed 25-Jun-14 19:55:08

Turkey, definitely... which is why we're going to Turkey this year (ds's are 12 and 10) and not Disneyland Paris - they would much rather go somewhere with loads of water slides where they can get ice cream all day (all inclusive) so I'm not wasting the money on Disneyland to take a load of grumpy photos of them stood next to Mickey Mouse grin

BallyGoBackwards Wed 25-Jun-14 19:56:18

Ah well that may sway it for her. Would it ever be on the table that he MIGHT go with you??

DottyDot Wed 25-Jun-14 19:56:48

Ha! I've just asked them to confirm this and they got instantly worried I was cancelling the Turkey holiday in favour of Disneyland Paris...! grin

Redtartanshoes Wed 25-Jun-14 19:59:47

Ds (7) has been went to Disney at Xmas, Turkey last summer and we're off back to Turkey next week.

I just asked him, he said Turkey. Like Dottys' I think it's the pull of slides, all inclusive pool fun all day without walking miles, queuing for hours and being cold.

He did love Disney don't get me wrong, but once they get to a certain age it's all about slides and ice cream and kids clubs.

The hotel we stayed at in Turkey was amazing. Ultra all inclusiveness, inc pop corn and candy floss for the kids to watch the evening entertainment

when I was a kid, my parents and grandparents clubbed together to give us a special holiday to Disney in Florida. my very excited grandma told my 7 year old brother about the trip, and he burst into tears and said he wanted to go to Scotland! we had a brilliant time at Disney, and my brother talked about it obsessively for months after we got home.

Maybe they don't really know what will be at Disneyland, so wanting what they know (including you and your ex being on holiday together)??

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 25-Jun-14 20:09:36

We go to Turkey every bloody year though. I wanted something different <sigh>

I am not against ex coming with us per se, as long as he is paying for himself and understands that we'd be in separate rooms. He was invited to Disney on the same premise, but he claimed he couldn't afford it. Obv Turkey would be AI, so he'd only have to pay for the holiday itself and then try and sponge off me for all the extras which his mum would more than likely help him with.

Taz1212 Wed 25-Jun-14 20:11:18

Mine would choose Disney over Turkey. However, we gave them the choice between a beach holiday or London this summer and my strange children chose London represses longing to be lying on a sunny beach hmm

17leftfeet Wed 25-Jun-14 20:14:46

My DCs were offered Disney in Paris and said if it wasn't America it wasn't Disney

So we went to fuertaventura instead and had a whale of a time

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 25-Jun-14 20:16:44

Fuertaventura might be an option, at least it wouldn't be bloody Turkey. I love Turkey and we have friends there. The kids have friends there because we go to the same place, same time each fucking year but wanted something different this year.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Wed 25-Jun-14 20:20:22

Turkey over Disneyland Paris but it was Florida they would pick Disney. I don't think it's surprising DC are picking Turkey. They probably preferred the pools, slide, ice creams etc over a mini break at Disneyland Paris.

MamaPain Wed 25-Jun-14 20:22:33

Probably Disney because we went to Turkey and they didn't like it because it was a bit racist.

brdgrl Wed 25-Jun-14 20:24:10

Maybe they like it because it is the same every year?

DottyDot Wed 25-Jun-14 20:27:37

yes mine also like a particular caravan park in North Wales because we've been there most years since ds2 was a baby and they know it inside out, down to their favourite sand dunes to slide down!

PenguinBear Wed 25-Jun-14 20:40:08

Disney! 14yo said disney too! as would I grin

Canthisonebeused Wed 25-Jun-14 20:58:04

Turkey

weekendninja Wed 25-Jun-14 21:14:40

Are you happy to holiday with your ex? I wouldn't. I would rather not holiday at all if the ex and I were not on fantastic terms.

How long have you been separated?

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 25-Jun-14 21:24:52

Not happy as such, but the thought doesn't fill with me dread. I'd rather it was just me and the girls but if they are happier with him coming too I don't think it would make a great deal of difference to my enjoyment of the holiday.

I might insist we do Disney after xmas like planned and then can go with ex to Turkey in 2016 if they still want to, maybe it's just taht they're not quite sure what to expect that is putting them off.

weekendninja Wed 25-Jun-14 21:39:20

Could they be engineering an opportunity for you both to get back together, and if so would this give them false hope?

Why not scrap the Turkey/Disney idea and try to think of a place all three of you would like to visit? Maybe you could do a weekend some other time with your ex?

If it's just down to where I would prefer to go, Turkey would win any day of the week. I hated Euro disney.

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 25-Jun-14 21:47:37

No, dd1 would hate the idea of us getting back together.

Dd2 would not be bothered as long as he moved here and not us back to him. Dd2 appears to believe his hoarding and mess issues would be left behind, if he moved house, like they were when we moved. She's not understanding that he is the issue, not the house.

I'll sit down and talk to them both when we are ready to book somewhere and we'll come up with something together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now