Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I have just eaten some risotto which had been out of the fridge for 10 hours

(20 Posts)
almapudden Wed 25-Jun-14 23:02:48

Thanks for the moral support everyone!

PickleSarnie Wed 25-Jun-14 21:54:20

Thank goodness you're alive! !!! I was getting worried there :-)

BrianTheMole Wed 25-Jun-14 21:49:48

Good luck op wink

almapudden Wed 25-Jun-14 21:47:50

I feel fine so far...

I didn't reheat it. It was a butternut squash and pancetta risotto.

Will try to survive until the morning :/

Lambstales Wed 25-Jun-14 20:46:40

How's the loo?

Bunbaker Wed 25-Jun-14 20:27:24

Some facts about pre-cooked rice:

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Unless the rice is cooked properly, the spores can survive, and if you then leave it standing at room temperature for any length of time, the spores can germinate into bacteria. These will then multiply and may produce toxins that cause all manner of nasty side-effects. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins, so the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

Rice is best served when it has just been cooked, anyway, but if that's not possible, cool it as soon as you can (within an hour) and keep in the fridge for no more than a day.

Lambstales Wed 25-Jun-14 19:59:55

I'll eat old rice up to two days even in this weather but risotto..... I'm not sure.
Mushroom may be okay, you do need to tell us what type OP.

Reheating doesn't kill off rice bugs. You have to cool it rapidly to stop them breeding.
But, yeah you'll live ;-)

WineSpider Wed 25-Jun-14 19:53:46

Did you heat it up first?

I left some chicken out of the fridge overnight last week, ate it the next day and didn't die. I did nuke it in the oven first though just in case.

BikeRunSki Wed 25-Jun-14 19:51:00

If not, don't make any plans til the week end.

BikeRunSki Wed 25-Jun-14 19:50:09

Hmm. I poisoned DH with rice that had been in the sun all day once. If you make it through the night you'll be ok.

CharmQuark Wed 25-Jun-14 19:49:39

Did it contain mussels or prawns before you ate it lukewarm without reheating?

I know someone who hospitalized half her wedding guests with prawn and crab vol au vents left to sun themselves.

And also of rice death .

Feeling queasy ?

Bunbaker Wed 25-Jun-14 19:48:22

I have had food poisoning from rice. I felt awful for about 24 hours then was fine.

A lot of people don't realise the implications about storing cooked rice incorrectly. I wouldn't have eaten the risotto BTW.

grocklebox Wed 25-Jun-14 19:44:45

People have in fact died from rice poisoning.

But you'll be fine.

Jen1610 Wed 25-Jun-14 19:29:37

Uh oh

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Wed 25-Jun-14 19:28:09

Leave a note so that anyone who finds the body will know not to finish off the risotto before calling 999

SpeckleDust Wed 25-Jun-14 19:28:04

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that although you can get sick from the toxins in old rice, no one has ever died from rice poisoning. And a lot of people in the world have eaten a lot of rice over a lot of years.

You'll be fine.

ChateauCollapso Wed 25-Jun-14 19:23:51

The next few hours could be critical!! Especially if prawns were involved wink

PickleSarnie Wed 25-Jun-14 19:05:25

Quite possibly. Hope it was nice and worth it?!

grin

I'm sure it'll be fine. Did you heat it up before you ate it? I reckon that kills any germs (although I am also a girm believer in the highly unscientific 10 second rule so I wouldnt listen to me)

almapudden Wed 25-Jun-14 18:42:48

and sitting in the sun all afternoon. Am I going to die a horrific death by food poisoning?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now