Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Uniform - Asda or M&S?

(40 Posts)
birdofthenorth Wed 25-Jun-14 11:41:08

DD starts school in Sept. I see M&S have an offer on for uniform at the mo but Asda is still cheaper. Does it really make a difference? Does the M&S stuff wash and wear better? Apparently it has "stormwear technology" which sounds a bit ridiculous...

Yes in my experience m&s stuff washes better. e.g ds's white shirts are still white yet the asda ones that are newer and washed in the same load are a kind of murky off white.

the trouser and skirt material is much thinner and the pinafores much thinner too.

previously when dd had asda gingham dresses, I put them in the charity bag as they were see through and you could clearly see dd's knickers, the cheaper m&s 2 pack were not see through and washed much better.

majority of ds and dd uniform comes from the school but the bits I can buy elsewhere I buy from m&s now, and don't bother with the lower priced stuff.

If m&s kit was rubbish and washed the same I would obviously go with the cheaper asda range,

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Wed 25-Jun-14 11:46:23

In my personal experience m&s is better, I have trousers that were so good DS1 wore them, then DS2 and they were still in good enough condition to donate to school as spares.

The polo shirts are also good.

Asda stuff is ok, but I find doesn't last as well, or stay in shape as well, though it's fine.

Personally I think Asda uniform is good. DD is in reception and has lots of uniform from there. It washes well and has kept its shape, I also found that I care less when her Asda t shirts are stained than her more expensive ones!

I wouldn't bother with their tights though, had lots that have lost their elastic or have ridiculously baggy ankles.

I think M & S is better quality for their skirts & trousers, but have also used Asda for the polo shirts. As Asda is so cheap, it's easy to replace stuff if it gets ruined/lost at school though.

CarCiKoTab Wed 25-Jun-14 11:49:07

M&S is better, I bought stuff from Asda when DS1 first started school within 2 weeks the hem on the trousers had dropped making them look tatty. I bought M&S and well blow me down they last him the rest of the year definitely pays to pay that little bit more!

CarbeDiem Wed 25-Jun-14 12:04:24

I used to buy from both but found the M&S trousers much better.
BHS trousers were of a very similar quality too.

birdofthenorth Wed 25-Jun-14 12:23:29

Thanks all, sounding a lot like digging deeper will pay off...

steppemum Wed 25-Jun-14 12:34:07

ds and dd1 have had asda trousers and dd2 asda pinafore (very cute style) they are fine, very hard wearing, wash well etc.

gingham dresses - I buy from different places, I will only buy cotton and most supermarket ones are not cotton. Last year asda did a very nice style that dd2 loves. M&S tend to be more traditional styling, full skirts etc.

white polos. I have had them from everywhere over the years. I do find the M&S ones hold their shape and colour better, they also feel softer.

But spaghetti sauce doesn't come out of anything, so if you have a mucky kid, and end up buying lots of new ones through the year, it makes no difference.

Top mn tip - keep one polo hidden and only use it for concert/school photo etc

MiaowTheCat Wed 25-Jun-14 12:37:18

Having helped with hundreds of getting changed for PE sessions over the years - I'd say the M+S stuff looks like it stands up to wear a bit better than the Asda stuff, but obviously you need to balance that out against the cost of replacing stuff as well and the fact one's higher priced than the other to start off with.

I consistently found Asda pinafores a pain in the arse to help kids get changed with though as they're really slender cut and if kids had had a go themselves first they'd quite often got themselves quite nicely stuck in them!

Oh feck I need to go uniform shopping for DD1 now - having got her into a pre-school that has a uniform... was hoping to put that one off for another year or so!

LetItBeMe Wed 25-Jun-14 13:06:51

I had used asda but then bought next because of the slim fit trousers they do. I'm converted now. It's worth the extra cost because it looks good for much longer.

Vintagebeads Wed 25-Jun-14 13:12:58

I have got M&S for years but no more.
I think they have changed the quailty in the white polo shirts were really thin and rubbish.
I always got them as they were long in the body but they really are not as good as they were.

Vintagebeads Wed 25-Jun-14 13:13:48

I might check next if they do a slim fit trouser thanks fir that.

steppemum Wed 25-Jun-14 13:39:44

BTW - I like cotton polos, and not all supermarket ones are cotton (I'm looking at you sainsburies)

and I think that they do wash and wear differently depending on if you tumble dry or not.

these were the gingham dresses dd used to have not fully cotton as I prefer, but soft and washed well. we have to buy dd's uniform from the school and school supplier now and stripes not checks. www.marksandspencer.com/2-pack-polycotton-easy-to-iron-dress/p/p22291580

AliMonkey Wed 25-Jun-14 18:59:50

M&S here too although I always try to buy everything for the next year when they are doing their 25% off. Better quality and washes well enough to pass on to others when grown out of. For DD I buy their standard polo shirts; for DS I buy the basics type as he is so messy and I don't find the Stainaway helps on most of it.

Galena Wed 25-Jun-14 19:53:19

DD has all the supermarkets - I decided I'd go for cheap to replace rather than long wearing... Asda and Sainsburys washed best and still look fine (and both do jersey pinafores which are lovely and soft). Tesco were ok, Aldi were awful. For gingham dresses, Matalan and Sainsburys fitted her short, round shape better than the others.

I'll be restocking from Sainsburys or Asda probably (I love the fact that Sainsburys have sweatshirt style cardigans which Asda don't, but hate that you can't order it online.)

DS and DD have M&S trousers and skirt (M&S do adjustable waist and extra length for my ultra slim tall DS)

M&S blazers -ok , but the Next are nicer

Polo shirts - M&S shrunk in length about 3" angry

I bought Tesco blouse/shirt packs as they both wear ties, so need a button up to collar not the open neck

M&S dresses didn't suit my DD, the waist was in the wrong place and the buttons stopped there but John Lewis had a zip front A-Line, a button front that had a longer open area and the skirt/top in gingham without the tacky bric-a-brac.

Passthecake30 Wed 25-Jun-14 20:45:58

Next for slim fit trousers for ds

M&S for dd

Supermarket polo shirts and school logo jumpers

Passthecake30 Wed 25-Jun-14 20:47:10

70isa what's tacky bric a brac have I got any

MrsShortFuse2 Wed 25-Jun-14 20:47:58

M&S, Next & John Lewis are the premier league.

Supermarkets not as good.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 25-Jun-14 20:50:41

We've had Tesco stuff this year which has worn very well. I always put a spoonful of vanish in with the white shirts. M&S socks last well though (when they have them in stock).

Our ds's have worn shorts all year this year (their choice) which has saved me a fortune! None of the school trousers that I've bought (M&S, asda, next, Tesco, trutex) have lasted long without coming home with holes in their knees. You may not have the same problem with your dd!

Sirzy Wed 25-Jun-14 20:51:12

DS has been in M and S uniform all year for pre-school. The trousers and polo shirts are in good enough condition they will keep going when he starts at school in September. I got him shoes from there last September and the only reason he won't be using them to go to school in is his feet have gone up a size

FishWithABicycle Wed 25-Jun-14 20:55:03

I bought some M&S, some asda and some sainsburys at the start of reception. 9 months later and it is all looking equal worn and scruffy, not much to choose between them.

spiderlight Wed 25-Jun-14 20:55:43

Maybe M&S have changed their suppliers/fabrics, but last year DS started the year in M&S trousers and the hems on every single pair came down on the first or second wear and they were all through at the knees by Christmas. I've never seen such cruddy quality in school clothes. This year he has had a mixture of Next and Tesco trousers and they've all lasted brilliantly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now