Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

To want to shout 'its not Cbeebies HAITCH D'!

(154 Posts)
Talisawasnotsupposedtobethere Wed 25-Jun-14 08:38:36

There is an ad on Cbeebies at the moment for some programme and the voice over is done by a child. At the end the kid says 'on Cbeebies and Cbeebies Haitch D'.

AIBU to think that it wouldn't have killed them to just make sure that the child said it correctly? Or maybe they did it on purpose because its 'cute'? Why such low standards BBC? Eh? Eh?!

I do realise this isn't the most pressing issue in the world right now, but everytime I hear it it pisses me off and I just wanted to know if anyone else feels them same or if I am alone on this?

Talisawasnotsupposedtobethere Wed 25-Jun-14 08:43:36

Aaaaaand I have just realised this is Chat not AIBU.

I'll get my coat.

I've not heard it, but i agree! Yanbu!

ConfessionsInTheMoonlight Wed 25-Jun-14 08:57:41

I havn't seen it but I agree, I hate when people say haitch!

PickleMobile Wed 25-Jun-14 08:58:52

How should you say H?

Lagoonablue Wed 25-Jun-14 09:00:52

A itch

Lagoonablue Wed 25-Jun-14 09:01:05

AITCH.

Fevertree Wed 25-Jun-14 09:06:36

Argh!! I hate 'haitch' it makes me cringe. I've not heard it but am in total agreement with you OP

TooSpotty Wed 25-Jun-14 09:08:16

I agree too, but I fear we're losing the battle. Haitch D is used by lots of announcers, not just on CBeebies.

kinkymouse Wed 25-Jun-14 09:10:52

My DH refuses the fact that he is wrong and I am right with his numpty haitch speak.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 25-Jun-14 09:15:24

I say aitch but it always irritates me that the letter H does not have it's own sound in the way it's pronounced.

Don't even get me started on W.

EverythingIsAwesome Wed 25-Jun-14 09:30:32

I say haitch.

TooSpotty Wed 25-Jun-14 09:32:24

W is double-v in other languages. It comes down to how the letters u and v used to be printed in England. It does seem weird, doesn't it?

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Wed 25-Jun-14 09:34:06

Where was the child presenter from? In NI both Haitch and Aitch are acceptable.

TheCatsBollocks Wed 25-Jun-14 09:34:27

Teacher friend has a son named Henry. She always says " it's Henry with a Hatch "

Is that so.

KnackeredMuchly Wed 25-Jun-14 09:35:31

The show is Australian so he shouts it in an Australian accent, although it's chat... yabu wink

HowMuchMoreWee Wed 25-Jun-14 09:36:54

DS's teacher insisted on correcting him, and the rest of the class, anytime they said aitch, to haitch.

I had to go in and be embarrassing mum and see the head of year head to have words. shock

BuilderMammy Wed 25-Jun-14 09:37:59

In Ireland haitch is correct.

YABU.

peppinagiro Wed 25-Jun-14 09:42:22

YANBU.

We had some fearsome teachers at our primary school in the 90s who would make kids stand at the front through lunch to shame them if they committed a faux pas like 'haitch' or 'ff' for 'th'. In South Wales that was a real battle to pick, I can tell you.

wigglesrock Wed 25-Jun-14 09:42:34

Well if my children were watching it and they heard "aitch" not "haitch" they'd ask why it was being said wrong. Mind you I feel your pain I still haven't got over the baby name thread when Anna was rhymed with spanner.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 25-Jun-14 09:46:26

Anna does rhyme with spanner in my accent.

Do you say it "arn-a" then? I've heard people say it like that down south but where I live, it's just "ann-a"

wigglesrock Wed 25-Jun-14 09:51:21

No, I say AN NA and spanner SPAN NER

funnyossity Wed 25-Jun-14 09:52:16

In my accent Anna rhymes with spanner and most people say haitch. In Ireland it is haitch as BuilderMammy says.

We are native speakers of English and these variants are not being said "wrong" (or even wronglywink). If you speak otherwise that is fine but it would be very ignorant perhaps even a little arrogant of you to impose your pronunciation on others.

MasterFlea Wed 25-Jun-14 09:57:13

You'd hate me. I say Haitch. Twas how I was thaught. But then I'm not british.

It's the whole scone/scone thing again.

I now live in Finland and in their language, if you see a letter in a word you say the letter. They miss out on these kind of arguements. So Anna is An-na. You'd like it here OP. Only one right way to pronounce a word.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Wed 25-Jun-14 10:00:45

Do you say it "arn-a" then? I've heard people say it like that down south but where I live, it's just "ann-a"

So do you say "spanna" without the r sound? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now