Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Gallbladder-less people over here please!

(53 Posts)
funkypigeon Tue 24-Jun-14 23:32:46

Having my gallbladder out in about a month. Have heard a few stories from people ranging from "it was fine" to "out of action for ages"

Please could you share your stories about how you felt after the op and what I can expect!

I was out of action for about a fortnight, and that was with full blown open surgery, none of this keyhole nonsense! smile Light duties for a bit longer.

The pain relief must've been good, though, because the day after my surgery I was asking the nursing staff if I could help make the beds! Strangely enough, they said no.

I am in the "it was fine" camp. My only issue was that they wanted to throw me out when I wasn't done catching up on sleep (it had been a very very hard few weeks beforehand (not gallbladder related) and I was running on empty - they had to wake me up to give me the pre-med blush)

..but yes the OP was fine, and I didn't really need the two weeks off work afterwards.

Not OP, op ( as in operation). Stupid know it all iPad.

funkypigeon Tue 24-Jun-14 23:40:34

Ha! Must've been good smile

I'm having keyhole and the surgeon mentioned doing it as a day case as well, so in and out.

Scousadelic Tue 24-Jun-14 23:41:16

I was fine, a little bit tender for a few days but took a few painkillers and no probs. Mine was keyhole but it was inflamed to they had to make a small cut to widen the hole it came out through, my GP then informed me that the report used the word "incision" and, as because of the nature of my job, I had to take 6 weeks off!

I have not had the intolerance to fatty food since the op that I was warned about but have found I'm a bit more prone to acid indigestion so my biggest hardship if that I can't cope with dry wine the way I could!

Good luck with the op. I'm sure you'll be fine

funkypigeon Tue 24-Jun-14 23:43:23

Yes I expected him to say about a week off work so I was a bit hmm at two weeks. Though wouldn't mind two whole weeks off work grin

funkypigeon Tue 24-Jun-14 23:44:37

Thanks, this is very helpful

Keyhole here. First time I had had a general too, which left me feeling groggy and weepy for 2/3 days as well as sore from the op. Had sore shoulder for a few days too, apparently from where they inflate the abdomen with C02 for the surgery. Felt a lot better on about day 5 post op, but def needed bed rest and childcare in place (am sahm) for the first week after surgery. Was doing everything as normal after 2 weeks, but was exhausted in the evenings for the next month or two. Pretty much completely back to normal after 2, 2.5 months post surgery. Good luck!

funkypigeon Tue 24-Jun-14 23:47:25

Ah, going yes that's something I'd heard about, the shoulder referred pain, not pleasant.

HowsTheSerenity Tue 24-Jun-14 23:49:09

You rang?

My supposed day surgery turned into a 6 day hospital stay due to the copious amounts of pus etc that erupted out of my abdomen during the lap. Joy.

I had a week off work as well I think. Mainly due to the referred shoulder tip pain. Mine lasts two weeks or so. That in itself is just abnormal.

Pennastucky Tue 24-Jun-14 23:54:24

Had keyhole a couple of years ago. Didnt feel much pain at all afterwards. Spent a few days resting at home and was back at work after 5 days. Within a fortnight I was completely normal, and haven't ever suffered since!

funkypigeon Tue 24-Jun-14 23:54:51

Poor you hows

Sonographer and surgeon today said that I'm "full" of stones.

And made a point of telling me that I am a classic case of the three Fs. Fat, female and fertile.

I prefer Female, fertile and fair grin

SinglePringle Wed 25-Jun-14 00:06:24

Bad Exeprience Alert!!

Actual surgery was totally fine. Minimal 'shoulder' pain and very well healed / almost disappeared scars (keyhole).

But I was very ill and re- admitted 3 days later. I was the colour of French mustard...a stone dropped out when they removed the gallbladder and became lodged in my bile duct.

I honestly thought I was dying (which technically I was but people tend to take you quite seriously when you're mustard coloured and get you back into hospital PDQ so the actual chances of my dying were minimal but, you know, for a day or two there it was ALL about me!) and I've never ever felt so ill but it was very treatable once diagnosed - took another couple of days but they gave me good drugs - and I recovered in a couple of weeks.

Lost 12lbs too, so win win!!

MilkandCereal Wed 25-Jun-14 00:12:47

Not my story,but my mother had this operation five years ago. She was,as expected, a little woozy after the anaesthetic,but went home the next day. She had very slight tenderness in the abdomen for four or five days,and that was it. She's had no problems since.

funkypigeon Wed 25-Jun-14 00:28:05

Shine a light single!

Your post did make me laugh though, sorry! French mustard....

SheherazadeSchadenfreude Wed 25-Jun-14 00:28:17

I was kept in hospital to stabilise me following a particularly vicious attack, and was there for the best part of two weeks. Surgery was then booked for two weeks hence and I was signed off sick. Had op and signed off for another two weeks, but went back sooner due to boss complaining that I had been off for too long. hmm

It was life changing - no more throwing up, no more pain (although I occasionally get what the doctor referred to as phantom gall bladder pain). I can't drink as much as I used to - sometimes it is no problem, and I can have several cocktails, other times I have thrown up after one glass of wine. Not great with fatty foods either. It's genetic - no-one over 30 in my extended family has their gall bladder.

Keyhole surgery 18 years ago this week (private hospital so I lay in bed watching Wimbledon) 3 days in hospital - the worst bit of the recovery was having the drains removed.

Signed off work for 6 weeks, fully recovered in about 10 days so had a lovely summer, relaxing at home.

No long term problems. I'm pain free, can eat (too much) and drink what I like.

mathanxiety Wed 25-Jun-14 02:10:06

I think I must have a genetic case too -- same story of stones at a young age. It took longer than normal to be diagnosed. My operation was supposed to be a straightforward keyhole job but the surgeon found a stone in my bile duct (hence the godawful pain I suppose) and pushed it through, taking a few more hours than predicted. All the same, I stayed in that night, the next day, the following night and was sent home the next morning. I took DD1 to her baby gym class within the week and was driving within two weeks. At four weeks I took DD1 alone on a transatlantic flight.

The first week was rough. I had the shoulder pain in the hospital and also threw up (reaction to anesthesia) and popped a couple of stitches. The worst bit was arriving home from hospital (dragged myself up stairs to our apartment) to find exMIL had ignored DD1's poopy nappy and left it for me. I don't know why I just shrugged and got on with it but I did. I thought I would die. The pain decreased with every day however.

rideyourbike Wed 25-Jun-14 04:28:16

It's the 4 f's...fat, female, fair and 40! I was 33 when I had mine out and a skinny mum of twins who were 5 weeks old. I had the op on a Thursday (keyhole), home on Friday, back to full mum duties the following Tuesday smile. Felt awful before, so painful and so much vomiting, and I went yellow. All fine now x

LadyCybilCrawley Wed 25-Jun-14 04:35:59

Emergency trip to A&E at 2 am - thought I was having a heart attack - key hole same day surgery two days later - back at work next day - easy peasy lemon squeezy

Squeakyheart Wed 25-Jun-14 04:57:44

See I was told the five F's fat, female, fertile, forties and fasting. I was doing the 5:2 diet at the time to lose weight in order to be treated for infertility so the first and third stung a bit!

Am on waiting list for removal!

cazzyg Wed 25-Jun-14 05:02:23

Keyhole surgery and I was in hospital overnight but only because my op was done late on in the day. I had 2 weeks off work and recovery was simple. Bit sore and tired for a few days

I did have some complications a few weeks later when TMI alert my pee turned orange, shite turned white and my skin, well I looked like a Simpsons character. And the pain - I've never experienced anything like it. 10 days in hospital while they removed stones from my bile duct and my liver and kidneys recovered. Watch out for that afterwards - 1% chance. Can be avoided by doing a cholangiogram at the se time as your op.

SinglePringle Wed 25-Jun-14 07:00:05

...and my pee was the colour of stout!

But seriously, never regretted the operation for a single second.

Good luck with yours.

RainbowsStars Wed 25-Jun-14 07:19:29

Keyhole surgery, no problems, back at work 2 days later. No intolerance to fatty foods since the operation and I've been able to slim down to a size 12.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now