Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What breed of dog should I get?

(77 Posts)
SummerHatOn Tue 24-Jun-14 20:38:20

Have wanted a dog for aaaaaaages and finally in a position to get one.

Can't stand little yappy things, but also don't want to be paying enormous food bills for a great big beast. Ideally I'd love a collie, but I don't think I could give it quite the attention and amounts of walks needed.

Part of the reason we haven't got one already was long working hours. This isn't such an issue anymore, but DP and I both work part time/ varied hours so there will be some times its left alone.

We will most probably go to a rescue centre, so I'm not overly fussed on breed (would be happy with a mutt), but some ideas would be very welcome - am sitting here googling images!!! I know of at least one collie rescue centre - do they have them for other breeds?

My research so far tells me: I can't stand slobbery dogs, I don't like the whippet look and I don't like corgis (googled them after the Mcvities advert)

-- No offence to anyone who has the above type of dogs, just my opinion and I'm sure you love your dog! --

ChoudeBruxelles Tue 24-Jun-14 20:40:33

Spaniel? Still needs loads of exercise though. Not as intelligent as a collie

Morethanalittlebitconfused Tue 24-Jun-14 20:41:46

Cocker Spaniel
Bulldog (old time)
Labrador

YolandiFuckinVisser Tue 24-Jun-14 20:44:28

Staffie?

Imsuchamess Tue 24-Jun-14 20:46:47

Labrador mine is great with young dc and not slobbery he is energetic though and does need a lot of exercise and he moults.

spindlyspindler Tue 24-Jun-14 20:51:02

Jack Russell? Very rugged for a smallish dog.

LEMmingaround Tue 24-Jun-14 20:51:05

Golden retriver? Italian spinone? Both quite big though.

Mist rescues have collie crosses and staff crosses. Id be inclined towards the staff. They are great dogs.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 24-Jun-14 20:52:50

Labrador.

SummerHatOn Tue 24-Jun-14 20:53:12

DP has said Labrador, good with children would also be a definite must - thanks.

Bulldog doesn't do much for me- all those wrinkles and do they have stained breathing or am I thinking of a different dog?

Hadn't thought of a Spaniel but they look gorgeous, and have found there are rescue centres for them.

Thank you

TheWhispersOfTheGods Tue 24-Jun-14 20:55:07

Collies need to work - it's a problem with working dogs, they need to be 'thinking', that is what makes them aggressive and destructive. I'd advise against a collie, and usually you can only take them to a working home or an 'experienced collie' home. I've never met a happy non working collie, DHs grandparents keep collies and they are awful.

I love gundogs, they need stimulation but not as much as a herding dog like a collie. Need a fair amount of walking and to be let run, and like people around - I want a pointer but tbh, we will never really be in a position to get one as we will never be home all/most of the time.

Spaniels are good but a bit needy, they don't like being left.

Terriers I believe are generally good, don't need too much walking (once a day is fine I believe) and are reasonably self sufficient.

Most of this comes from breeding club research online btw, so happy to be corrected

I REALLY want a red setter but in no way can cope with one so will settle for looking longingly at pictures on the Internet grin

Angelto5 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:01:43

Labradoodles are a lovely breed. Intelligent & loyal.

joanofarchitrave Tue 24-Jun-14 21:02:09

BE VERY CAREFUL BEFORE YOU GET A TERRIER or a jack russell as they can be horribly aggressive and need a LOT of training, but I guess a terrier cross could be OK not ours though

I always understood that whippets/greyhounds can be very good if you have a secure garden, as they need a two minute walk twice a day or something?? But I knew someone who got a rescue greyhound who was so traumatised and nervous that the rehoming failed sad

SummerHatOn Tue 24-Jun-14 21:03:39

I agree TheWhispersOfTheGods, I don't want a dog that wouldn't be happy and as much as I love collies, I know I can't have one.

Am more than up for the walking - come rain or shine, just that it will have to be left for part of some days.

SummerHatOn Tue 24-Jun-14 21:04:56

Angelto5 - I have had my eye on labradoodles since they 'came out'!

Morethanalittlebitconfused Tue 24-Jun-14 21:04:57

Greyhounds are the giants of the lapdog world.

Loving, loyal, need minimal exercise and just want to curl up on your lap for a cuddle. Love them!

SummerHatOn Tue 24-Jun-14 21:06:18

Aunt has recently had a bad experience with a terrier really not settling into the family so that has put me off that.

commonorgarden Tue 24-Jun-14 21:06:50

Ah, I was going to say Greyhound but then saw you don't like the whippet look. Greyhounds are not quivery like whippets, very affectionate and easy going indoors.

If not, I'd go with a Staffy too. Lots of choice in rescues; many will have been in foster so you'll get a good picture of their personality in a home.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Tue 24-Jun-14 21:09:43

I want a greyhound now.

Look at those faces

Follyfoot Tue 24-Jun-14 21:10:18

If you decide on a lab, there are plenty of labrador rescues out there who would match you up with the right dog for your family smile

SummerHatOn Tue 24-Jun-14 21:11:27

ok - you might be persuading me on the greyhound with those pictures!

Morethanalittlebitconfused Tue 24-Jun-14 21:13:18

Go on. Be a devil. Have a mooch round a greyhound rescue centre

SummerHatOn Tue 24-Jun-14 21:13:27

Have been googling staffies as lots of you have suggested them, but sorry I can't see it!!! I'm sure they are lovely dogs. Is it really shallow that I only want a cute one - or is that actually why anyone has a dog - just different opinions on cute???

ancientbuchanan Tue 24-Jun-14 21:14:01

Our jrt is affectionate beyond belief but he has to have company. It's fine if the company is asleep, and he's ok left for a bit, but he is a busy and active dog who needs things to make him think. Otherwise he would get aggressive, I expect.

The Labrador rescue soc is always desperate for people as there are too many who think s lab is a couch potato and are wrong.

I love staffies. They smile so entrancingly at you..and they are brilliant family dogs.

SunnyL Tue 24-Jun-14 21:14:15

Get a mutt. I've got a lab x retriever x collie. She's beautiful and unique and has a lovely nature. Even better is her insurance is half the price of pure breeds.

commonorgarden Tue 24-Jun-14 21:14:19

Lola is my current favourite (no more room chez garden though). Unfortunately. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now