Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I just watched Watership Down with the DC...

(98 Posts)
HonoraryOctonaut Tue 24-Jun-14 19:00:24

WTF shock

Blood covered bunnies, dead bunnies, bunny fights! I didn't expect that!

Monopolice Tue 24-Jun-14 19:02:27

You fool grin

ClaimedByMe Tue 24-Jun-14 19:03:28

Did you cry? I can't watch it now because it will still make me cry

HonoraryOctonaut Tue 24-Jun-14 19:06:45

I didn't cry, I was distracted trying to explain to my 3 year old why the bunnies were fighting, I should've realised by the first 5 minutes really when the sun turned the other animals into predictors and killed all the baby bunnies shock

I got confused with The Animals Of Farthing Wood I think , I was expecting friendly chatty animals but got the animated version of Saw instead!

Nomama Tue 24-Jun-14 19:06:53

Really? Admit it you didn't read the book, did you smile

I am old enough to have been to see it at the flicks. Sis went with her friends and a couple of mums, she fell asleep before the blood and gore, her bessie made screamed the place down. Neither mum had read the book, but had seen the video of Bright Eyes on Top of the Pops!!

Did the DC enjoy it? Were you the only one traumatised by it ? grin

MrsMikeDelfino Tue 24-Jun-14 19:09:32

I could have told you to step away as that'd be a bad idea and I've never even seen it!
DH, on the other hand remembers watching it as a child and was traumatised. grin
You only have to hum the Bright Eyes tune at him and he closes his ears and runs away lol evil

ShakeYourTailFeathers Tue 24-Jun-14 19:11:02

You have to watch Tarka the Otter now, just to really finish you off

<traumatised>

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Tue 24-Jun-14 19:15:32

Then watch Animal Farm.

A nice trio of films that you really shouldn't watch without a posh brandy by your side.

HonoraryOctonaut Tue 24-Jun-14 19:18:09

Nope, never read the book blush

We've been to the park today and on the spur of the moment I decided to pick up a DVD and some snacks so we could have a peaceful afternoon, saw bunnies and thought awww that'll be a sweet film hmm

Ds is 3 and ds4 is 16 months, DS3 is a bit shell shocked I think, I've had to put Mickey Mouse on to hopefully put the decimated bunnies out of his head before bed. He wants to know why Peter Rabbit is hurt.

iklboo Tue 24-Jun-14 19:23:31

Saw this as a child. Auntie took me & her son to see it as a 'treat' to make up for her & his dad (temporarily) splitting up. We were traumatised, sobbed all the way home & had nightmares for DAYS!! shock

Tabby1963 Tue 24-Jun-14 19:29:49

Don't, whatever you do watch Plague Dogs. The ending had me howling when I went to see it at the cinema grin many years ago.

Here it is if you want a cry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oBS40NhMgE

A bit of background. The two dogs have escaped from a laboratory. Snitter (the little one) had metal plates put in his skull due to being experimented on and Ralph (the black one) has a mortal fear of water because he was put in a tank of deep water and left to struggle until he sank to the bottom. Then they'd fish him out and do it again, timing him (fuck knows why).

They often talked about the Island of Dogs where they could at last be at peace. Snitter persuaded Ralph that this island was just over the water... Oh dear, crying again.

Burren Tue 24-Jun-14 19:32:48

I thought every British person (you animal-loving types, you) knew this film was pretty grim. I've never seen it myself, but I remember finding the novel quite dark as a child - especially the myxomatosis bit and the Efrafa part. And the end, where Hazel leaves his body lying by a ditch because he doesn't need it any more... waah.

MilkandCereal Tue 24-Jun-14 19:34:52

The Animals of Farthing Wood is rather dark at points too. If not on the scale of Watership Down.I wouldn't show it to a three year old.

HonoraryOctonaut Tue 24-Jun-14 19:43:32

I'm adding it to my list of 'never to be watched again' films along with Bambi and Good Night Mister Tom, thank you for the film recommendations I will definitely avoid them

I used to love Farthing Wood when I was little, I don't remember much about it really, I've probably blanked out the dark bits, I looked for it on amazon for my sister and I to watch but they only seem to have it on VHS.

We saw Alice in Wonderland for the first time today too, what a head fuck that is! I would imagine you need to be high to really get that film. Between that and WaterShip Down I think I had better stick to Cbeebies for a while.

Bolshybookworm Tue 24-Jun-14 19:51:08

You were lucky to escape seeing Watership Down as a child. Just hearing "Bright Eyes" makes me well up (I'm not even joking!). It was far too gruesome for a children's film, BUT on the plus side, it did spark a lifelong interest in nature conservation.

Next time, get them Totoro (sweetest kids film ever)!

specialsubject Tue 24-Jun-14 19:53:40

clearly your veg patch has not suffered from a plague of the things this year!

good book, though. But not kid fodder!

BigfootFiles Tue 24-Jun-14 19:55:22

You haven't heard the "Totoro is the god of death" theory then, Bolshy?

In a similar vein, don't watch The Bridge to Terebithia expecting it to be like Narnia!

TiggyD Tue 24-Jun-14 20:01:24

Been up Watership Down many many times. Never seen a rabbit.

Yes EllenJane, I got sideswiped by that one too! Bawled my eyes outhmm

Bolshybookworm Tue 24-Jun-14 20:06:17

Noooo! Don't tell me such things, Bigfoot! He's a lovely, cuddly troll!
Bit confused though- if he's the god of death, wouldn't that suggest that the girls mother was going to die (she clearly returns home in the credits)?

Nomama Tue 24-Jun-14 20:08:25

Oh lord, I'd forgotten they made Plague Dogs too. Must read that again. I did Shardik a while ago....

Oh, and don't read Maia expecting it to be sweet, or about animals shock

Adams never did write a sweet book (Te Tuna is extreme), but he may have time....

BigfootFiles Tue 24-Jun-14 20:11:21

Well, this summarises most of the points in favour of that theory. You can make your own mind up. wink
www.tofugu.com/2013/08/15/conspiracy-theory-totoro/

seasidesally Tue 24-Jun-14 20:13:33

oh god bawled my eyed out at the cinema watching WD,was about 8-9

i refuse to ever watch it again

agree tarka the otter is on a par,was so shocked at the end wasnt expecting that,it was great up until then

ShakeYourTailFeathers Tue 24-Jun-14 20:16:14

oh god my Mum SOBBED at Bambi when she took me to see it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now