Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

things which make your life easier?

(17 Posts)
bleurghblah Tue 24-Jun-14 17:12:23

Pregnant with my second and really struggling. Am trying to declutter and organise everywhere but am looking for tips, items to buy and general advice as everything seems to be so difficult for me at the moment.

things like buying an extra one of everything so you don't run out of anything, washing blacks and colours together as it doesn't make a difference, batch freezing pasta and sauce cooked together, anything really.

any tips gratefully received

foadmn Tue 24-Jun-14 17:17:55

lots of big plastic boxes and drawers to store things. the plastic chests of drawers are wonderful because you can see where everything is but its still 'away'.

put away in big boxes or underbed storage anything you aren't using - clothes, equipment, anything you can't throw, give to charity or sell. ditch as much as possible.

Turquoisetamborine Tue 24-Jun-14 17:21:59

Frozen veg. I am the queen of this, I love it. I have emery thing from sliced peppers, portions of spinach, bags of ready to steam in the microwave mixed veg. You can get all sorts. All nicely prepared and chopped for you. The quality of it is fine and we eat more veg because I don't have to stand peeling and chopping.

I still buy potatoes, onions and salad stuff obviously too.

Itsjustmeagain Tue 24-Jun-14 17:27:27

putting food in the slow cooker because i have the energy in the morning but not the evening.

cooking massive pans of food in the evening (or in the slow cooker!) enough for that evenings meal plus lunch the next day so I have a nice healthy lunch ready to warm.

cleaning the bloody white kitchen floor by putting two clothes in my feet and skating round (never will i use a mop again).

chopping veg in a food processor rather than with a knife

doing a tidy of each room every morning (once its clean it only takes a few minutes per room) take two boxes or baskets one for rubbish and one for things that either belong upstairs or downstairs (wherever you are) and sorting each basket when you finish the floor.

Itsjustmeagain Tue 24-Jun-14 17:28:03

just realised that makes it sounds like i am mopping blood off the kitchen floor - i am not....i just hate it grin

Itsjustmeagain Tue 24-Jun-14 17:29:40

oh and a major major thing! getting a 12 kg washing machine (so I do fewer loads) which has a 15 minute cycle. I do the kids uniforms on a 15 minute cycle each night to freshen them (they have two sets each but by this time of year they are pretty much down to one decent set!)

harrietspy Tue 24-Jun-14 17:31:36

A box for odd socks in the sock drawer.
Shoes by the front door, keys in a bowl. Keys on a carabiner from Muji so I can clip them to the strap of my bag and never have to hunt for them. (Wish I'd done that when the dc were tiny!)
Swimming bag etc hung by the washer/dryer so things can be put away when dry.
Evernote app.
Always charge phones overnight in the same place.
Internet grocery shop.
Frozen bread and milk so you've got some for emergencies.
Make sure there's always a frozen pizza, jar of pesto and a box of eggs.

There's a friendly and long running 'towards minimalism' thread in Good housekeeping that might be of interest. smile

aylesburyduck Tue 24-Jun-14 17:32:41

Plan your meals for the week. I don't bother deciding what to have for breakfast but I plan lunches and dinners for DP and I. I don't have to think about food then and it helps with the shopping....

...which I now do online. I click and collect from Tesco, and I have saved heaps because I don't wander aimlessly up and down the aisles buying random crap grin

WipsGlitter Tue 24-Jun-14 17:38:15

I was going to say starting work at 9.30! Has seriously lowered my stress levels!

Otherwise, meal planning.

something2say Tue 24-Jun-14 17:42:11

My one would be a working shopping list. One column for food items, another for non food. The list is in a book and every time I think of something or run out of something, it goes on the list and gets bought next shop.

Good luck! X

WaffleWiffle Tue 24-Jun-14 17:45:29

Get a tumble drier (if you don't already have one).

Time all washing cycles so that the tumble drier finishes at a time you will be available. (ie not during the night, during the tea-time rush etc)

Empty the tumble drier and fold clothes immediately.

Then there will be no need to iron 80%+ of your washing!

smile

NotCitrus Tue 24-Jun-14 17:51:52

Do at least one online shop now. Then you can do one really quickly by just running down your list of "favourites" and ticking away.

Some bacon in the fridge - keeps for months but practical ly anything can be turned into a meal if you add chopped bacon.

Spare key and money and nappies and clothes in your buggy - so on tough days just sling child in buggy and get out of the house.

NotALondoner Tue 24-Jun-14 17:56:17

You can freeze cooked pasta in sauce???

Allalonenow Tue 24-Jun-14 17:56:22

Frozen mashed potato is a great time saver, as is frozen risotto.
Keep a in few store cupboard staples such as long life milk, sardines, tuna, cous-cous, gnocchi, so that you can always knock up a quick meal.
Keep a running shopping list.

Best of luck

bleurghblah Tue 24-Jun-14 18:03:43

These are all really good! thank you all. I especially like the spare keys and nappies in the buggy for the times you need to GET OUT.

And the bloody kitchen floor.

Yes I buy plastic takeaway containers and batch cook tomato sauce with every different veg I can think of and then add cooked pasta and cooked meatballs. You can freeze and then about five-seven minutes in the microwave.

We have also recently bought more iphone battery packs and chargers

umiaisha Tue 24-Jun-14 18:03:45

Mine are/were

- Formula milk cartons
- Slow cooker
- Well stocked freezer & those steam in the bag vegetables
- Dishwasher
- Flash/dettol wipes
- Shellac nails - hours saved watching paint dry
- Frozen chopped onions

aftereight Tue 24-Jun-14 22:24:23

Slow cooker
Bulk buying birthday cards and gift wrap
Using a tumble dryer and folding instead of ironing
Cleaning whilst chatting on the phone
Dettol antibacterial spray and kitchen roll to clean most things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now