Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

My house burnt down :(

(38 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Tue 24-Jun-14 16:55:18

The other weekend.

We're in a hotel trying not to kill each other. I'm so fed up.sad

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Tue 24-Jun-14 16:56:50

Oh bloody hell! How did that happen OP?

Smilesandpiles Tue 24-Jun-14 16:57:12

OMG I'm so sorry.

What happened? What started it? Are you all ok? Can anything be saved? Are you insured?

Tiptops Tue 24-Jun-14 16:58:05

That's terrible OP. I hope nobody was hurt. Do you have insurance? Little comfort I know, but at least the practicalities can be sorted that way.

SocialMediaAddict Tue 24-Jun-14 16:58:32

Bloody hell. At least no-one was hurt.

Orangeanddemons Tue 24-Jun-14 16:59:25

Tumble dryer in garage.

We're all fine, but it's very traumatic. I just want to go home...

MammaTJ Tue 24-Jun-14 16:59:52

In a place beginning with P??

Smilesandpiles Tue 24-Jun-14 17:00:09

Jesus. Would the insurance even cover that?

elQuintoConyo Tue 24-Jun-14 17:00:42

Oh shit.

Is everyone ok?

Could anything be saved?

grin

tobiasfunke Tue 24-Jun-14 17:00:46

That's awful for you. Will you have to stay in a hotel for long?

thefirstmrsrochester Tue 24-Jun-14 17:00:55

So sorry, you must be tearing your hair out. Your insurance company need to look at more appropriate accommodation for you, hotels for anything other than business or holidays are dire. You need proper family living space. And you need emergency payments for clothing, food, toiletries etc. really sorry this has happened.

MarshaBrady Tue 24-Jun-14 17:01:02

How terrible, and horrible for all of you.

cakesonatrain Tue 24-Jun-14 17:02:21

Holy crap. At least you're all ok. Were you in the house when it all kicked off??

LumpySpacedPrincess Tue 24-Jun-14 17:06:09

That's awful. sad

Thank goodness you are all okay.

Under very different circumstances I once lost all my physical possessions. When you get your head round it you realise it is just stuff and it's people that matter.

Keep strong op.

Groovee Tue 24-Jun-14 17:11:46

So sorry OP. Hope you can get some temporary accommodation soon x

Mitzi50 Tue 24-Jun-14 17:12:25

How awful! I had to move out for 18 mths following a flood - the insurance company put me in touch with an accommodation agency. We were even able to rent furniture. Look carefully at how much alternative accommodation cover you've got. Mine was £25k which sounds a lot but renting around here is expensive and I had furniture rental, storage for stuff that was salvageable, removal costs in 2 directions, plus the hotel costs for the first couple of weeks. Had the building work taken much longer the cover would have run out.

Orangeanddemons Tue 24-Jun-14 17:21:56

It's in a place beginning with S.

We have rented a house that was supposed to be available immediately, paid the deposit, but now not available until next Thursday. I've had a go at the estate agents but got nowhere.

We are covered up to 20k for accommodation, the house is1000 per month, but unfurnished. I was ok until today. Went in to work, and tried to do something, but just could not focus on anything.

Dd being terrible, and no escape as all in the same room. Am currently having to put up with dh watching football and dd listening to minecraft at the same time. It's not much fun

ToeFluff Tue 24-Jun-14 17:34:40

What a rotten situation, have u got any headphones? Try and drown them out with your own music!

If you are in a fix for furniture, have a look on freecycle and gumtree. Granted it prob won't match but I know a couple of people who found themselves in similar situations and managed to furnish the whole place for free, then replaced as and when they could afford it with new.

Keep your chin up take a deep breath and know it won't be forever. And if that fails..wine!!

Sissyinthesummertime Tue 24-Jun-14 17:39:07

Oh no, how terrible for you all. I know it's hard but just be glad that everyone is OK. Were you all at home when it happened?

If you are in the north west, happy to help out if you need anything?

Mitzi50 Tue 24-Jun-14 17:40:32

So sorry OP - it is incredibly stressful being squashed together - I hated not even being able to make a sandwich. Is there any way you could go on a last minute holiday til next Thursday?

My advice FWIW would be to pay for your own loss adjuster especially if it is going to be a big claim.
winecake

Orangeanddemons Tue 24-Jun-14 17:43:27

Can't go on hols,

All the cleaning people are coming from Wednesday through to Monday, so we have to go through everything we want to keep.

I've escaped to hotel reception for some peace. I just want to cry but dd is always around so can't.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Tue 24-Jun-14 17:48:06

Op i was in exactly your situation 2 years ago! We lost absoloutly everything through fire and smoke damage it is devastating. It took us 11 months to get back into the house. Please please take an inventory of EVERYTHING thats in the property. And photographic proof. Try disposable camera as the static build up in the house ruined 3 digital cameras for us. You will also need to be like hawks with the insurance company they will try to down cost everything. Clothes ect you will not get new for old price which is a shit but for example only 70% of the actual cost. Pm me if you need!

Orangeanddemons Tue 24-Jun-14 17:51:26

We have a new for old policy.

The inventory is going to happen when everything is taken away to be cleaned. Which starts tomorrow.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Tue 24-Jun-14 17:52:02

Get the insurance company and your loss adjustor to order the rental furniture you need for move day on friday. Go and buy bedding etc but get a file and keep every single receipt, these costs will be reurned eventually.

Oh, how awful for you - I can't begin to imagine what you are going through. Are you on Facebook? The freecycle groups on there seem active nowadays - do you have family or friends who can keep an eye out and post on your behalf for items? MN local boards?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now