Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do you report yourself for a crime?

(122 Posts)
BoldBlackCherry Tue 24-Jun-14 15:25:55

Just that really, I committed a crime and would like to own up to it so ex dp can't threaten or blackmail me anymore. I have no idea where to start - do I call a police station directly or will 101 be better?

I have no childcare at all for my 2 dcs, will they get taken off me while I'm interviewed etc? Will I have to be taken into the station or is it possible to give a statement at home?

I've never had to do this before so I'm sorry if I sound stupid

I would call 101 - they will be best placed to advise you.

littleducks Tue 24-Jun-14 15:28:53

I think you go to the police station and hand yourself in. Might be best to see a solicitor and then go in with them?

LadyLemongrab Tue 24-Jun-14 15:29:05

Gosh, I imagine it depends on the seriousness of the crime.

If you're really going to walk into a police station then I'd strongly advise NOT taking the kids with you.

And while you're there confessing to your crime, report your ex for blackmail.

mrsbucketxx Tue 24-Jun-14 15:29:39

has he got evidence against you doing this.

sounds like a nasty piece of work.

blackmail is illegal please report him not you.

wineoclocktimeye Tue 24-Jun-14 15:30:11

Might be worth a trip to the CItizens Advice Bureaux first for some legal advice.

Go to the station. If you get arrested then you don't have to worry about being seen by anyone. Report your dp for blackmail while you're at it.

RedPony Tue 24-Jun-14 15:32:21

I think it depends on how bad the crime was as to what will happen to your dc's. If it's just a small crime then they will probably come out to you to take a statement etc. But for something more serious you would likely be taken to the station and I think social services would sort out temporary childcare. I hope everything's ok op and well done for owning up thanks

BoldBlackCherry Tue 24-Jun-14 15:33:25

I have no idea if he can prove it or not but I've spent the past couple of weeks worried sick that the police are going to turn up any minute and it's starting to upset me now. I'm not sleeping well with worry, I'm terrified my kids are going to get taken away and he keeps threatening that dd2 will soon be going to live with him full time and to be honest I am absolutely sick of the threatening childish texts from him so I thought I'd own up, take what I get and then he has nothing to use against me.

I'll give 101 a call, unfortunately I can't afford a solicitor

FiloPasty Tue 24-Jun-14 15:34:06

Obviously you don't have to share but what is the crime? A solicitor may then be able to advise thanks

I would arrange some childcare and go to the station. And well done on taking this step.

Coldfish Tue 24-Jun-14 15:34:30

What sort of crime is it? What happens will totally depend on that.

Coldfish Tue 24-Jun-14 15:35:32

By the way, what he is doing is blackmail of sorts. That is a crime in its own right.

You will be assigned a solicitor op. Is there anyone that can go with you? Why not just leave the fucker, do some volunteer work and rest safe in the knowledge that if he blabs he'll get done for blackmail and withholding information.

Without knowing what you have done it is difficult to know what to say. Are you sure you have committed a crime or is your ex threatening you until you are convinced you must have done something wrong? Things aren't a crime just because your ex says they are IYSWIM.

weatherall Tue 24-Jun-14 15:38:36

Go and see a criminal defence lawyer!

You will get one free appointment or you may be eligible for legal aid.

If DP is blackmailing you that is a crime. Report him to the police. Tell them what he is accusing you of but don't admit anything without a lawyer's advice and presence!

You can't be convicted just on dp's word that you committed a crime.

It is highly unlikely DCs will be removed- unless it is a sexual offence against a child or similar severity.

Please don't make any rash decisions.

BoldBlackCherry Tue 24-Jun-14 15:39:38

It's fraud.

I took a payday loan out in his name for him,(he asked me to, he didn't know how) I paid it back and they gave me the option to renew it. I did renew it for another £400 but didn't tell him. I used it to pay the rent and he found out when they sent a letter saying a payment had been missed. blush blush blush

I'm such an idiot. I should never have renewed the loan it was just an easy £400 and I was in a massive hole.

It's the first crime I've committed in my life I've never been in a police station before sad

What weatherall said but with bells on. What if they keep you in custody? They'll end up with him anyway. Don't give him leverage. Go to a law centre.

MontserratCaballe Tue 24-Jun-14 15:42:58

Poor you OP.

Can you tell us what you have allegedly done? If it was over 2 weeks ago, then that suggests your P is not serious and simply trying to upset you or blackmail you (a crime in itself).

Is there independent evidence or just his word? If the latter then that is probably less serious.

Coldfish Tue 24-Jun-14 15:43:50

Hold on minute...

He instructed you to take out a loan in his name?

Did he sign for it?

Did he specify the date and amount, or was that left to you?

Seems like he has done some less-than-careful accounting here, doesn't sound criminal to me.

sleepyhead Tue 24-Jun-14 15:45:00

Have you paid him back?

Pay back your ex, or the pay day loan company, or whoever is trying to collect the money at the moment, at a rate you can afford and then draw a line under it.

BoldBlackCherry Tue 24-Jun-14 15:45:11

I done the whole thing online, it was with quick quid and took minutes for it to go into the joint account. He knew all about the first one but like I said I renewed it without him knowing, I just had to fill out an online form and it went into the account

Oh op. Breathe. If your ex is willing to blackmail you over something so small then fight fire with fire I say. Arrange to pay him back say over 10 months at ten pound a week. If he says no then tell him to do his worst. I guArantee he'd be more in trouble than you.

MontserratCaballe Tue 24-Jun-14 15:45:43

OK, not great but many people have done much worse.

What is the loan company saying? Are they still offering you / him the option to pay back? Are you in a position to pay?

I would go to the CAB first.

If you were to go to the police station, they would be unlikely to keep you in custody even if they did charge you as you are likely to be a good candidate for bail, as you went voluntarily.

Hope you get it sorted.

sleepyhead Tue 24-Jun-14 15:46:44

He had no chance. NO chance of proving that he didn't take out the loan himself. It went into a joint account that he had access to?

It wasn't a smart thing to do, and it was dishonest (although presumably benefited him if it was paying the rent) but I wouldn't go to the police about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now