Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Microwave scrambled egg?

(32 Posts)
BeanyIsPregnant Tue 24-Jun-14 14:20:03

Help! My dd loves scrambled egg but I hate making it in pan, it's like bloody concrete to get off sad

I think you can make it in the microwave but how?! I need a 2 egg scrambled.. Recipe?!

ShatnersBassoon Tue 24-Jun-14 14:22:58

I just melt a bit of butter first, put the eggs in, whisk well, add pepper, whisk again, then cook in short blasts taking it out and whisking until it looks almost done. By the time you dish it up, it will be done.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 24-Jun-14 14:23:43

ps - I use a fork, not an actual whisk.

Easy peasy.

Get a bowl - shallower bowls will cook more quickly.

Crack your 2 eggs into the bowl, and whisk. Add whatever seasonings you like, milk, butter if desired.

Microwave for 1 minute. Stir.

Put back in micro for short intervals - you do need to use some judgement, but I often put back in for 30 seconds, look at it again and see if it needs another 10 seconds or more. Depends on how creamy/ set you like it. Just remeber you can always goe another blast, but once you've gone too far it's too late.

bettybyebye Tue 24-Jun-14 14:24:06

Break 2 eggs into a Pyrex jug (or similar), add a splash of milk and whisk. Pop into the microwave for 1 minute on high, et voila! Might need little less/more time dependent on your microwave but you can keep opening to check how it's doing

BeanyIsPregnant Tue 24-Jun-14 14:26:00

Oh fantastic! Is it as nice as 'proper' scrambled egg? :/

murphys Tue 24-Jun-14 14:26:28

Don't overcook it though. Cook it till its firm but still shiny.. as it will continue to cook a bit once you take it out the micro.

MaloryArcher Tue 24-Jun-14 14:28:06

It's doable but a crime against eggs.

Turns it into foamy spongey tasteless shite.

Not a patch on proper buttery scrambled egg made on the hob. A wire scourer cleans the pan no problem.

ThereIsIron Tue 24-Jun-14 14:30:14

A good dob of melted butter in the pan, and stir sparingly, and they won't stick. Taste better too.

Optimist1 Tue 24-Jun-14 15:01:22

I change the microwave power level to the one below highest for making scrambled eggs. Use a balloon whisk every 30 seconds, and stop cooking when they're still quite sloppy - as other posters have said, they do continue cooking for a little while. Microwave scrambled eggs are every bit as tasty as pan-cooked IMO.

squoosh Tue 24-Jun-14 15:02:57

Buy a non stick pan. A lot easier than fannying around with a microwave.

hiddenhome Tue 24-Jun-14 15:03:32

Add some grated geese for extra flavour and protein smile

Billoddiesbeard Tue 24-Jun-14 15:06:06

It's the only way I make scrambled eggs. It doesn't taste any different to pan made IMO. Don't over cook though or you will end up with a tough,rubbery travesty of scrambled eggs! speaks from experience smile

KnackeredMuchly Tue 24-Jun-14 15:09:28

Buy a non stick pan, still use a fork and replace pan every 2-3 years. So easy and tasty - do not microwave!

KellyElly Tue 24-Jun-14 15:11:14

I always make it this way. Put eggs in and whisk - add milk and salt and pepper - cook in short bursts and add some grated cheese near the end before the last burst. It tastes lovely and just as nice as from a pan with less arsing about with the washing up.

CalamityKate1 Tue 24-Jun-14 15:14:28

Buy a small but decent non stick pan and use a silicone spatula. The pan will come so clean that it'll only need a little wipe with a soapy cloth.

squoosh Tue 24-Jun-14 15:15:25

I make scrambled eggs every single morning in a pan and it is no hassle at all!

Put Tefal pan on low heat
Add a knob of butter
Add eggs
Season
Give a half hearted stir ever so often
Eat

Then watch in amazement as eggs remains are wiped from pan with next to no physical effort. An elderly field mouse would be strong enough to clean a non stick pan.

GarlicJuneBlooms Tue 24-Jun-14 15:18:40

I microwave eggs all the time! For 'scrambled' scrambled eggs, I add oil (as dairy free) and water - about a teaspoon of each per egg, though I don't measure them. Whisk with fork. Nuke 30 secs. Whisk again. Nuke again. Repeat as required smile

If you whisk your egg and cover the dish with a plate, the egg puffs up into a sort of cake, which I also love.

Kewcumber Tue 24-Jun-14 15:25:19

MIcrowaver here too particularly as I don;t want a pile of butter in my eggs.

WHisk egg with milk (I like my scrambled eggs very light and fluffy so I add a fair bit of milk).

MIcrowave for 60 seconds stir edges into middle
Another 30 secs if very runny

Then stir again and let heat in teh cooked eggs finish the rest off.

Anyone who sayd microwave eggs are rubbery is overcooking them

Kewcumber Tue 24-Jun-14 15:26:12

Galric I like the puffy up souffle-y texture too!

Lovely and soft and fluffy

RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock Tue 24-Jun-14 15:29:34

hidden home GRATED GEESE gringringringringringringringringringringringrin

ReadyToBreak Tue 24-Jun-14 15:30:39

I prefer microwaved scrambled eggs blush

2 eggs
2 teaspoons of butter
Splash of milk
Salt & pepper

I never cook them right through so they never have a chance to get rubbery.

Trick is to take them out before they're fully cooked through and by the time you've served them up they're done perfectly.

I've ruined two frying pans (both non stick) by attempting to do them on the hob.

cornflakegirl Tue 24-Jun-14 15:31:01

I hate overcooked scrambled eggs, so I do much shorter blasts in the microwave. Wouldn't do anywhere near as long as a minute for 2 eggs. If you do really short blasts and keeping whisking (with a fork) then they end up soft and only just set, like in a pan.

(I reckon it's probably about the same effort overall as in a non-stick pan.)

Kewcumber Tue 24-Jun-14 15:32:54

I have a very wimpy microwave - the power makes a bit differnce to cooking time of eggs

OnlyLovers Tue 24-Jun-14 15:40:46

I think it's OK, but they're nicer done in a pan with butter. IME cleaning a microwaved bowl of egg isn't that different from cleaning a pan.

You also have to keep an eye on it and whisk/stir it frequently. I know of what I speak. I've made egg rubber several times. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now