Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Have I been burgled?

(27 Posts)
Moid1 Tue 24-Jun-14 11:24:56

Last night - I had my purse, was looking for some change for DS1.
Left house at 7.20pm to take DS1 to match, DS2 upstairs on iPad.
Back by 7.35m. Sure I had left back door locked, key in lock on the nside, but it was ajar. Maybe I didn't, maybe DS2 went outside (unlikely).

This morning can't find my purse, I definitely didn't take it out of the house. Xbox and iPad still here.

Cancelled the credit card I don't use and spoken to bank, no new transactions. All very odd, will have to quiz DS2 when he gets back. My brain says that I have left it somewhere in the house but where?

Hoppinggreen Tue 24-Jun-14 11:30:10

This happened to me.
I came down to find the door with the key on the inside and the door ajar.
They had just grabbed my bag off the kitchen table and touched nothing else.
Apparently if you leave the key in the lock they use thin pliers or even the outside of a biro to open it from the outside.
Sorry but it sounds like your purse has been nicked

TheIronGnome Tue 24-Jun-14 11:30:56

Did you ask DS2 if he'd been outside?? Where were the back door keys when you came back? It's highly unlikely but possible. Purses go missing all the time in my house... I'd keep looking but be a bit more careful re back door.

If you were burgled, and did leave the back door locked with keys on the inside how would they have got in?

headlesslambrini Tue 24-Jun-14 11:33:24

Walk up and down yr road and look in bushes etc. If its been nicked they will probably take any cash and dump it as quick as they can.

Moid1 Tue 24-Jun-14 11:38:02

I'm looking suspiciously at the workman in the road outside, digging up something. They were there yesterday and back today.

Haven't asked DS2 yet, only just noticed.

Moid1 Tue 24-Jun-14 11:39:47

Headlesslambrini - they will be very disappointed, there was NO CASH in it, not even 5p! Good idea of looking in bushes.

CorusKate Tue 24-Jun-14 11:41:00

Seriously doubt the workmen would be involved.

Moid1 Tue 24-Jun-14 11:42:25

I know CorusKate, it's funny how you get all suspicious!

CorusKate Tue 24-Jun-14 11:44:01

smile

Hope you find it.

HayDayQueen Tue 24-Jun-14 11:46:08

Happened to me, they came in the back door one evening, realised we were watching tv in another room, grabbed my bag and took off.

Only about £2 in the bag, but they had my keys and all of my cards.

So cancelled the cards, had a friend park their car behind our car in the drive, and the next morning changed all of the locks in the house, and the key code and lock of the car (THAT was expensive!!! - insurance only covered a replacement key, not a replacement lock)

Found the bag several houses down, dumped behind a car in their drive. Coins gone, cards there, keys missing.

2 days later found the keys outside the back door, they had come back and tried to use them to get in the little bastards.....

Moid1 Tue 24-Jun-14 11:56:32

Just checked no keys gone. They would have heard DS2 upstairs on his iPad no doubt watching noisy utube video.

My purse was in kitchen, I know that for certain as I was looking through it to scrape together some change for DS1.

ContentedSidewinder Tue 24-Jun-14 12:03:01

I think you have been burgled.

Where we used to live the police were actually going round the roads we used to live near and opened people's front doors if they were unlocked.

They would then knock on the door to alert the owner to the fact they could have easily been a burglar and could have taken anything from the hall usually including keys and the car on the drive.

Always lock your doors and never leave your keys in the lock.

Moid1 Tue 24-Jun-14 12:36:34

Thanks, have now cancelled all cards, Nectar cards, driving licence. No transactions have been made on my cards.

Needed a new purse anyway, it was getting a wee tatty. Have removed all keys from locks inside the house. Maybe we need to put a proper gate on the side entrance. Aaah well, DH away so will have to go the bank to get some cash!

TheIronGnome Tue 24-Jun-14 13:10:03

Wow! Well you learn something new every day! I never knew leaving keys in the lock was bad for that reason. I've never done it, but that wasn't why.

WilliamShatner Tue 24-Jun-14 13:18:42

This time of year, when it's nice weather and back doors and windows are left open or unlocked for easy access to the garden, there are opportunist thieves who prowl gardens and are looking to take things within easy reach and small things that are easily concealed upon their person.

It happened to my aunt and uncle who accidentally forgot to lock their patio doors. The police advised never leaving handbags on top of the kitchen counter and to take your handbag up to bed at night.

Moid1 Tue 24-Jun-14 19:20:36

So, I wasn't burgled.

DS2 (11) decided to hide my purse. Absolutely no idea why he did it, nor does he. He is a bit of 'surreal' child. He was totally happy, he hadn't had a row with me or big brother. I am really pissed off with him, he wouldn't have any idea of what a pain that was. He put my purse in the shoe rack, 'thought I'd find it'.

MissMilbanke Tue 24-Jun-14 19:22:18

Oh dear

At least you can sleep easy tonight

CorusKate Tue 24-Jun-14 19:29:01

he wouldn't have any idea of what a pain that was

He knows now, though, right? grin

Moid1 Tue 24-Jun-14 19:33:32

He does, but he is a bit of a pain kid.

Not sure what punishment, if any, I should give. It was annoying, mischievous, think he was just a bit bored. Role on secondary school.

CorusKate Tue 24-Jun-14 19:49:19

He could "help" you with some of the paperwork and hassle involved with all the cards you've had to cancel, maybe.

earlyriser Tue 24-Jun-14 20:04:29

Think I'd be hiding his iPad for a while, maybe make him 'cancel' (ie delete) all his games/apps, then he has the hassle of loading them all up again grin

Fluffyears Tue 24-Jun-14 20:15:16

My mum had her car stone by an arsehole who walked in front door. She went to bed and my brother was watching a film and had door unlocked as he was nipping out for a smoke every so often. They both heard someone in hall but each thought it was the other one. My mum nipped to local shops next day and noticed car was gone. The keys were hanging up in hall, he obviously wandered in just to see if he could pick up anything worth nicking in the hall.

Little bastard took her pride and joy (bought with money my dad left her when he died) and drive it till petrol ran out (full tank unfortunately) then burnt it out. Mindless destruction as it was a lovely wee car.

Door is now locked, keys are in a keys age and the key to that is under her bed at night. Always lock your doors.

Fluffyears Tue 24-Jun-14 20:16:19

Should say keys had been hanging up and were then missing with the car.

TitsCrossed Tue 24-Jun-14 20:23:36

Many years ago I lived in a ground floor flat. The chubb lock was wonky so didn't work, just the Yale lock was on. We were burgled twice before we realised what was happening! The Yale lock was opened in the blink of an eye from the outside using minimal tools in broad daylight. They just grabbed whatever was on the side (camera, purse etc) then closed the door behind them. We got the chubb fixed and always used it after that.

mrsdicko90 Tue 24-Jun-14 22:06:44

When my mum was dying with cancer,her and my dad was in the livinr room when some lads came through their bedroom into the kitchen. (Bungalow (

They went through my mums bag and toke her purse. Thing is she has 3k in cash in a kitchen drawer, 3 laptops and a Wii in the cupboard next to kitchen ready for her last Xmas for the grandkids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now