Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Do you agree that this woman should serve time in prison after two fatalities?

(32 Posts)
odowdandproud Tue 24-Jun-14 00:34:03

In Canada a woman stopped her car on the highway to help some ducklings cross safely. She did not pull in, leave her hazards on and she left the car door open.

A father and 16 year old daughter on a motorcycle collided with the car and were both killed on impact. He was also speeding.

The woman driver now faces life in prison.

I'm so torn on this.

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/22/newser-woman-who-stopped-for-ducks/11235367/

cathpip Tue 24-Jun-14 00:52:25

Some time in jail for careless driving but not life, that seems a bit excessive. The father who died should also take some responsibility, if he had not been speeding the outcome could of been a lot different.

Xcountry Tue 24-Jun-14 00:55:45

Shes a halfwit - one of the kind I meet in a daily basis but prison? perhaps not. I don't think she should be allowed to be in charge of a vehicle EVER - too thick for the responsibility, but prison? I don't think she is a bad person or set out for this to happen. She is just thick and prison doesn't make you grow common sense.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 24-Jun-14 00:55:48

Difficult one.

Definitely a consequence for dangerous driving- but would the impact have happened with out his speeding? If not then her consequence shouldnt be for 'death by dangerous driving'. Is it possible to tell whether it would have happened without his speeding?

BrianTheMole Tue 24-Jun-14 00:56:30

I agree with cathpip. Life is very excessive for such a sad, if careless mistake, on both sides.

Such a horrible case. Although there was no intent to cause death, unfortunately there was reckless behaviour.

Canada and the US do seem to have harsher sentences for people who cause death by dangerous driving for example which I usually agree with but I doubt such a long sentence is needed here as the victims family have expressed forgiveness and she seemed very remorseful sad

How they can be considering life when there isn't a shred of premeditation is just nuts.

foadmn Tue 24-Jun-14 01:24:27

its ridiculous behaviour. road safety takes priority over ducks.

HowsTheSerenity Tue 24-Jun-14 01:39:40

I don't think life imprisonmemt is the answer. She isn't a criminal in the worst sense of the word. She made a huge mistake and people died. She needs to be charged but not to the extent that she is. The father/daughter also should have either been paying more attention to the road/travelling slower/left more distance between them. It's sad that they died though. Ut the incident can't be blamed solely on the woman.

Morloth Tue 24-Jun-14 02:49:58

Excessive penalty.

Really fucking stupid behavior though.

GirlOverboard Tue 24-Jun-14 03:09:09

Stupid woman. But she hasn't actually been sentenced yet and she's not realistically going to get life is she? It's just the maximum possible sentence. I think about 5 years would do.

KarlWrenbury Tue 24-Jun-14 03:55:35

Was the bloke not looking where he was going? I don't get this at all

KarlWrenbury Tue 24-Jun-14 03:58:06

I don't get the intention bit. Surely that's vital to prove murder?

ikeaismylocal Tue 24-Jun-14 06:18:48

I don't see why it would be in the public's interest to put her in prison at all I would think a lifetime driving ban would be more sensible. I don't think she is a danger to tge public and I think that the horrendous consequences of her actions will have taught a lesson.

lazydog Tue 24-Jun-14 06:33:28

I don't think she should be imprisoned for life, or even necessarily at all, but I think a lifetime ban from ever driving a motor vehicle sounds like a damn good idea. Utterly incomprehensibly stupid! Why the hell didn't she pull instead of parking in the fast lane?!! Fact remains, however, that there could easily have been a broken down vehicle legitimately obstructing that lane, and the motorcyclist should have been able to stop within the distance that he could see, ahead...

lazydog Tue 24-Jun-14 06:34:30

*pull in

IrianofWay Tue 24-Jun-14 06:37:54

Eh? What would have happened if there had been an accident in front of speeding man or a broken down vehicle? He'd have hit that just as hard as the duck ladies car. She was stupid but so was he. Excess speed was the main issue here.

Morloth Tue 24-Jun-14 08:57:11

I think she will be sent to jail as a terrible warning.

Don't fucking stop on the motorway unless you have to. It is dark, cars are going fast.

Some dangers in these situations are unavoidable. Stupid people stopping to help fucking ducks shouldn't be one of them.

Motorways here are 110km/hour. In the dark, a car stopped in the middle of the lane? I don't have to be speeding to be dead.

rallytog1 Tue 24-Jun-14 09:02:04

Wow. She wasn't very clever, but any road user should always be able to stop within the distance they know to be clear. The motorcyclist obviously wasn't able to stop within the distance he could see. There could always be an obstruction in the road around any corner.

Throwing the book at her for it would be awful.

Such a sad thing all round.

WilliamShatner Tue 24-Jun-14 09:11:00

I drive home at night. Sometimes there isn't much traffic or none at all on the A roads but when I reach the motorway there are usually big lorries and the odd nutter speeding to get home to bed!

Because it's stretches of countryside I've pondered on what I would do if I saw an animal on the road such as cattle and the safest thing would be to pull over and put on hazard lights and phone the police.

I wouldn't want to risk my own life by being in the road nor would I wish to endanger anyone else's life.

The fact she did not apply her hazard lights is utterly stupid and irresponsible.

I'm an animal lover, but there comes a point when your concerns for the creatures mustn't override common sense or your responsibilities and duty of care to anyone else.

I would say that a jail term is needed as she deliberately acted without thought or care and ignored the danger that she presented to others but I think being jailed for life is excessive.

If she killed one of my children though, I would probably feel different.

A sad lesson in taking personal responsibility and suffering the consequences of her actions.

Itsjustmeagain Tue 24-Jun-14 09:14:45

she should face a tough penalty for dangerous driving but as the motor cyclist was also speeding he is also to blame he obviously didnt see her in time to stop so even if she had been moving (slower than him) the same accident could have happened so I don't see how a life sentence is justified.

She was stupid stopping she really was but he was equally as stupid speeding with his child on a motorbike.

CocktailQueen Tue 24-Jun-14 09:20:50

So she left her car in the slow lane of a motorway, where people would expect cars to be doing 60mph, left door open, no hazards???? Insane. Road safety comes before ducks (and I'm an animal lover too).

The motorcyclist shouldn't have been speeding though, but would he have been able to avoid her if he'd been doing 60?

Terrible stupid mistake but with no malice at all. Oh dear.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 24-Jun-14 09:42:51

Every 'bike rider should be taught to anticipate what's ahead and adjust their speed accordingly. And his own DD as pillion, what a sad story. But yes the motorist was a fool.

I know Canadians drive on the right, I don't know how many lanes were involved but sounds like she stopped in the fast lane -deliberately, not a breakdown - and left the car there with no flashers on and her door open. Completely barking. She deserves some custodial sentence but as it happened four years' ago I suppose they'll take that into account.

beccajoh Tue 24-Jun-14 09:49:35

The motorcyclist has already paid the ultimate price for his actions.

She's bloody stupid and her actions have been part of the reason someone died, but I'm not sure life imprisonment is the way forward.

Xcountry Tue 24-Jun-14 13:56:07

Just to point out the motor cyclist would maybe have been able to stop within distance if he realise this was a stopped vehicle because it had its hazard lights on. I accept what you say about it could have been a breakdown or anything but in these situations you need to put your hazards on to signal you are not actually a moving vehicle.

How many times do we see it here though? Last month some halfwit was killed where I live for pulling over on the side of a motorway with no hard shoulder to answer her phone - no hazards, not even an indicator just pulled into the side a bit??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now