Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Would you go to Southampton this Friday?

(47 Posts)
milkncookies Mon 23-Jun-14 22:17:50

Wanted to take DC to Paultons / Peppapig World as a very special treat, 6 hour round trip - but this here is the forecast sad and on bbc site it's here if you click onto 'Friday'
Thoughts? Experiences? thanks

CinnabarRed Mon 23-Jun-14 22:19:27

Peppa Pig world is awesome!

But I'd think twice with that forecast.

Have you told them yet? Could you decide nearer the time with a more accurate forecast?

milkncookies Mon 23-Jun-14 22:33:41

Haven't told them. Looking online you have to book at least a day in advance I think? So we could wait a couple of days.

Am pretty gutted - taken the day off work, made allowances for the expense, it's either now or maybe October that we could next go. Thought the forecast may have improved but it looks worse than it did when I checked it last week.

Glad to hear you think it's good though! Is it not do-able in the rain then?

Augustwedding Mon 23-Jun-14 22:34:39

It's all outdoors, not much fun in the rain!

leadrightfoot Mon 23-Jun-14 22:41:24

Don't know which way you would go to Southampton but don't forget it's a Festival of Speed @Chichester so traffic round there will be more shocking than normal!

milkncookies Mon 23-Jun-14 22:42:00

Ah pants. Do they close all the rides when it's raining?

PopcornFrenzy Mon 23-Jun-14 22:49:27

raincoats and wellies, my DS' dream day grin

milkncookies Mon 23-Jun-14 22:51:20

See, that could be do-able popcorn ! Although not so much if it's all shut up confused

Really can't decide. Plan B was Cadbury world which is a bit crap by comparison and not nearly as good value for money.

I think it will be more heavy showers than a continuous downpour. As the forecast stands I'd plan to take waterproofs and go smile

Festival speed traffic though can be challenging!

PopcornFrenzy Mon 23-Jun-14 22:54:16

Think of all the muddy puddles! I live about 30 minutes from the place and have never been, DS is frightened of anything dressed up so we're waiting til he's a bit older, do update and tell us what you think (if you go)

milkncookies Mon 23-Jun-14 22:57:08

Yea - OhYouBadBadKitten popped by!

I feel a bit dense at 'festival speed traffic' though confused it's glastonbury this week, isn't it? Although that's South West to us (Midlands) as opposed to Southampton which is straight down / South. You may well mean something completely different though! grin

Heavy showers all day then do you reckon - cold or with some sun?! (Can you tell I'm trying my best to convince DH it's honestly a good idea…!)

Jinglebells99 Mon 23-Jun-14 22:59:51

I don't think I would panic yet about the weather forecast as it could easily change before Friday. A couple of weeks ago I booked tickets for an outdoor show. Just after I booked, forecast was heavy rain and thunder and it remained so for the next few days. But on the actual day, it rained heavily in the morning and there was a storm, but it cleared away and by the afternoon, it was a beautiful sunny day smile

milkncookies Mon 23-Jun-14 23:07:08

Thanks, keep checking in the hope it will change - even just to 'drizzle' would be sufficient! Bed calling thanks

Susiesue61 Mon 23-Jun-14 23:10:52

We went to Blackpool on a wet day. It was really quiet and the kids went on and off the rides with no queues till they got cold. It was great smile

erin99 Mon 23-Jun-14 23:15:34

Ages for the forecast to change, the weather often arrives a day or so late.

I wouldn't have thought Chichester traffic would impact Paultons that much.

MsBug Mon 23-Jun-14 23:21:36

It's not going to rain this weekend because I am going camping.

So there.

Weather forecasts are pretty unreliable at the moment. I live in Southampton and Festival of Speed traffic won't affect us at all, certainly not over by Paultons.

I'd leave it as late as possible to book, and then possibly toss a coin!

Kerberos Mon 23-Jun-14 23:26:32

Chichester traffic won't affect you coming down from Midlands. You will be well away from it.

However, Paultons is a desolate place in the cold but you might be OK if it's just a bit wet. I'd probably go for it and bring lots of wet weather gear. If it was cold and wet then no way!

Temps are looking to be mid-high teens at present, heavy showers still, though the worst may skim north of you.

TeenAndTween Tue 24-Jun-14 09:22:09

There are (at least were) some indoor areas at Paultons, an area with trampolines and another soft play bit at the peppa pig bit. But generally not much shelter. Some things close eg the giant slides.

Not watching the forecast, too stressful as school summer fair on Saturday. I would go there with a forecast of intermittent showers, or possibly light drizzle, but not heavy downpours.

Stickerrocks Tue 24-Jun-14 09:29:07

It's easy to dodge the showers at Paultons, especially within Peppa Pig World. Any sign of rain tends to keep the hoards away and most of the queuing areas are undercover for the rides across the park. They've really made an effort this year to have more all weather areas such as the cinema, picnic shelters etc. I live a mile away and they were queued onto the motorway on Sunday when the weather was good, but the crowds disappear at the first sign of rain.

Sidge Tue 24-Jun-14 09:34:14

I'd go anyway and just pack accordingly - waterproofs and maybe a set of dry clothes left in the car.

The bonus is if it's showery the crowds stay away and there's less queuing. There are sheltered areas if there are showers, and the rides are only closed if it's very wet, windy or frosty.

Have fun!

when we went it was very showery. We bundled DD up in her wet weather gear and we had a fabulous time. It was really quiet so she got to do all the rides she wanted without queuing and then at lunchtime the sun came out, but it was still quiet. I'd go!

happygirl87 Tue 24-Jun-14 15:15:46

We also went in rain, had a fab time and avoided queues! I say go for it!

strawberryjam Tue 24-Jun-14 15:24:39

I live very close by, they forecasted rain today originally, it is currently very hot with no real clouds in the sky, so plenty of time for the forecast to change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now