Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

When were the best years of your life?

(95 Posts)
PuddingandPie1 Sat 21-Jun-14 13:22:34

Mine were the last 5 years before I retired. My children had gone through university and into decent jobs that they seemed to be enjoying. They were also in stable long term relationships.

I had reached the top of the career ladder as a Principal of a Further Education college and my wife's business was developing as she had always hoped it would.

I'm still fairly new to the retirement stage of my life but, finally, coming to terms with the death of my twin 50 years ago was a big step for me.

The worst time? - the first two years as a Head of Dept when I had significant problems with "an idle waster" in my team!!

rockdakazbah Sat 21-Jun-14 14:28:18

The two months before DS1 was born and the 6 months after were the best for me. We had just moved back to my home town and just round the corner from my parents. I saw my mum very day and DS1 saw her every day of his life for his first 6 months. She became really unwell after that and died shortly after so I'm eternally grateful for that time we had and am so glad we made the decision to move home.

7Days Sat 21-Jun-14 14:31:27

I think I'm having them now, 3 healthy happy preschoolers, loving DH, healthy parents & IL's. Enough money, and time for a bit of fun and treats.

I want it to stay like this forever, but the days are just passing so fast

Molotov Sat 21-Jun-14 14:34:26

There is a saying that I like to live by: These are the good old days

I've had a few 'best times' of my life and I'm only 31. So, there must be more to come smile

TheCheckerdyHorse Sat 21-Jun-14 14:35:57

They lie ahead.

Mordirig Sat 21-Jun-14 14:38:55

I am hoping they happen in about 15 yrs time when I can go travelling/holidaying with DH and not have small children running around my feet trying to sabotage any st mall nice thing I try and do for myself.
I love them, but I find it too hard when they are this small.

Molotov Sat 21-Jun-14 14:44:15

I'm not lying! I didn't say that every day is the best day, just that I like to remember that each phase of life has it's good parts.

MyMelody Sat 21-Jun-14 15:06:41

i think she meant the best days lie ahead, not that you were lying grin

MyMelody Sat 21-Jun-14 15:09:00

I like the saying 'these are the good old days', also one that goes something like 'you will never again be as young as you are today' basically seize the day type thing

NickNackNooToYou Sat 21-Jun-14 15:10:06

Hopefully they are yet to come, I have the odd good day looking forward to good dayS smile [optimistic]

kinkytoes Sat 21-Jun-14 15:11:01

My favourite year was the year I went travelling in Australia. Now I've had ds this is the best time! Hopefully the years ahead will be just as fantastic grin

MrsBungle Sat 21-Jun-14 15:11:27

All of my fantastic care-free twenties. I had a wonderful 10-12 years of uni, travelling, living with mates, going out. Brilliant time. I'm still having a nice time now in my 30's being married with young children but in a very different way.

lurkingaround Sat 21-Jun-14 15:17:16

My thirties. I had no kids for most of them, and I had a ball. Travelled, adventured lived laughed loved etc, with no money worries at all. I have kids now, and I'm besotted with the kids, (husband's alright too grin) but life is definitely harder now.

Thumbcat Sat 21-Jun-14 15:22:46

Now. DS is 6, life is good and we're all happy and healthy. I suspect these are the days that I'll look back on nostalgically when I'm old. Having said that, I hope we'll have plenty more 'best years' ahead of us. DH and I intend to have lots of fun when the mortgage is eventually paid off.

Molotov Sat 21-Jun-14 15:45:34

Oh no, I didn't take Chekerdy's post personally smile I just wanted to clarify my point in my second post.

victrixludorem Sat 21-Jun-14 15:49:09

The last 6 years: DC at secondary school, DH earning a decent whack, pension pot full, time to make friends, have hobbies, and work only at stuff I want to do rather than because we need the money.

victrixludorem Sat 21-Jun-14 15:49:39

until about a week ago when my whole life was turned upside down.

catgirl1976 Sat 21-Jun-14 15:50:58

19 - 23. Without a doubt were the most fun.

Although obviously, having DS now is the greatest time ever and I wouldn't swap it for the world. But it's a lot harder work than being a young, carefree student partying all the time. smile

ICanHearYou Sat 21-Jun-14 15:58:29

I think they are still to come.

Bassetfeet Sat 21-Jun-14 16:25:13

My thirties absolutely . Young mother and working hard as we all do.
But illness and lack of vigour seemed a long way off . Optimism reigned to change things .
I have a tiny photo of us as a family taken by passing walker on a Lakeland fell top . Plus adored dog. We are weatherbeaten and squinting into the camera . Looking forward to our fish and chips back in the caravan .

I say today that photo was the roof of my life moment when all connected and life was sweet. I cherish it .

EatShitDerek Sat 21-Jun-14 16:27:32

I'm still waiting for the best years as the worse are still going grin

ShatnersBassoon Sat 21-Jun-14 16:53:54

Infant school. It was pure fun.

lecherrs Sat 21-Jun-14 17:25:51

University days without a doubt.

Doing a dossy arts degree with only 2 days a week in lectures, that left lots of time for drinking, partying and meeting blokes. Towards the end of that time I met my DH.

No worries, no stress, I loved studying and my subject (I still teach it today) and generally I had a great time smile

Life now is good, and I do enjoy life and feel very lucky with my lot, but I do work long hours, and have lots of juggling to do.

Icelollycraving Sat 21-Jun-14 17:57:50

Mine were when I was 18-19 up to about 22. Then the year between engagement & getting married (I was 36). Work was great,dh & I worked our arse off to save. I really enjoyed planning my wedding,although it was small & abroad.

ShouldHaveMarriedTimDowling Sat 21-Jun-14 18:03:38

My 20s. In London. Free. With a roof over my head, a job, friends, curiousity and joy.
And my 40s which have just started grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now