Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

what words can your 13mo say?

(43 Posts)
Frusso Tue 17-Jun-14 21:04:21

Just that really. Do they have any recognisable words or just babble? Do they babble?
What should I be expecting at this age?

sebsmummy1 Tue 17-Jun-14 21:06:55

My son is 18 months and still babbles really. We do have Mama and Dadda and something that sounds like 'what is this?' and ca ca ca (imagine that shrieked like a parrot. But otherwise no real discernible words.

PickleMobile Tue 17-Jun-14 21:07:23

Dd is nearly 15 months. She can say 'No!' Very clearly! blush. She says daddy to everyone and every now and again I can coerce a mamam out of her. The rest is constant babble. She's quite good at animal noises though, she can do a meow, buzz like a bee and moo like a cow so far!

PickleMobile Tue 17-Jun-14 21:08:52

Sebs what I think is dd's 'what's this' sounds like shit when she says it!

foadmn Tue 17-Jun-14 21:09:19

Mine was a bit unusual. She could hold full conversations with strangers at that age. example - baby comes to me in a restaurant, having been off talking to people at another table. "How old am I, Mummy?" "You are thirteen months - one year and one month old." And she went off to tell her new 'friends'. smile
Aspergers. Hyperlexia. She could read as well, recognising written words from nine months.
Sits back and waits for a load of people to drop by and say I'm lying, as they usually do on mn.

www.babycentre.co.uk/a5170/your-13-month-olds-development
scroll down and there's a bit on talking.

ThursdayLast Tue 17-Jun-14 21:11:39

DS is 14mo and says absolutely nothing distinguishable.

Frusso Tue 17-Jun-14 21:13:15

I believe you foad dd1 was similar (as), dc2 didn't talk until gone 3 and is pretty much still pre-verbal (asd)

I'm looking at Dc3 and wondering what is actually the norm?

omuwalamulungi Tue 17-Jun-14 21:13:29

He will say "Dada" or "Daddy" and when he's happy he says "Ding". Always ding.

The rest of the time he is babbling, sometimes its babble you can recognise as attempts at words and is directed at us. The other day he went out of the room for a second and when he came back the babble was just like "haha! I went out there but now I came back!".

My friends 17mo old really has a lot of words but his favourite word is "Cockroach". We live in Africa, this does NOT go down well in restaurants!

Azquilith Tue 17-Jun-14 21:13:57

A few, mama, dada, ta, choo choo, woof woof, brum brum, more, up, duck

Frusso Tue 17-Jun-14 21:16:51

Love cockroach!

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Tue 17-Jun-14 21:19:21

foad I believe you too. DS2 and 3 were also slightly unusual. Neither spoke until they were 4 but knew there letters at about 15 months and were really, really good at puzzles. Weird but true.

AntinousWild Tue 17-Jun-14 21:20:25

My friend's 13 month old says 'pogo stick' and 'no'. grin

There's such a range of normal isn't there? At 13 months my dd was very chatty, sentences, easy to understand.

DS could say about 30 words, mainly animals and names of people (mama, dada, grandad etc) with some commands like up, down, drink and of course yes and NO NO NO.

My eldest niece couldn't say anything.

Youngest niece said mama, dada and cat.

All utterly normal and you wouldn't know which was which now.

ChristopherRobin Tue 17-Jun-14 21:20:51

My 14mo mainly babbles, although she's just recently started to communicate more with actions as well as babble so I can understand what she is trying to say. I think she can say 'on' (holding out shoe) 'more' (food) 'dog' as well as mumma, dada, nana etc.

Muffliato Tue 17-Jun-14 21:25:13

My 13 month old ds can say dada, mama, baba and this.. he points at everything and goes ' thissss' he's very cute but a tad annoying by th 10th thisss of the day.

DeepThought Tue 17-Jun-14 21:25:26

It's such a wide range isn't it?

DS1, not much til age two, DS2, full convos at 14 months, my friend's baby was speaking well before 12 months, in fact his birthday party mostly consisted of him bellowing Look!Ballons! and More Sausage Ta.

MsFiestyPants Tue 17-Jun-14 21:28:25

DS is 18 mo but has big brother so doesn't speak unless he has to!

Says daddy mummmm ted (dog) keys, tweet, cheers, ta, darce, nan, inny... But mainly babble if you didn't know what he was saying you wouldn't IYKWIM

Annunziata Tue 17-Jun-14 21:29:03

Mamma, papa, nonna, hiya and no. She also says 'onetwothreeeeee' at the bottom of the stairs and she has her own names for the cat (chichi) and her brothers and sisters.

MiaowTheCat Tue 17-Jun-14 21:33:35

Varies -

DD1 had dadda, mama, cat, dog and yes by that time (no came later and by heck when it came it made its presence known)... late as hell walking and only just beginning to crawl "properly" at that point instead of commando crawling. Basically she went for the "gobshite to get other people to get things FOR me" approach.

DD2 - walking before her 1st birthday - but only really has dada, something that resembles "hiya" and is used in that context and "'ista" (sister) - lots of "singing" but not the stream of different consonant babble her sister had at that age - still really at the ba-da-ga stage and ca has just appeared this week.

Fairly consistent for the pair of them DD1 did communication and number/letter type development well ahead of gross motorskills and DD2 is the reverse.

babybythesea Tue 17-Jun-14 21:36:16

DD1 at 13 months could say bye, fish, book, milk, mumma, dada, yes, no and a few others.
DD2,14 months at the moment, can say absolutely nothing. Babbles endlessly with lots of intonation, giggles, hand gestures - she is clearly under the impression that she shares witty and insightful observations - but I can't distinguish a single word.

cakesonatrain Tue 17-Jun-14 21:38:47

DD is nearly 15 months, and has 20+ words. She's gaining one or two a week so I guess at 13 months she had at least 10?

Dadda
Mamma
Hiya
No
Dinosaur (pronounced Di-door)
Nose
Eyes
Mouth
Shoes
Duck
Quack quack
Are the ones that have probably been around that long.

She is a much better mimic than her big brother was at that age. DS babbled non-stop but only just about had 20 words at 18 months, but at 2.10 now has hundreds and uses good sentences.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Tue 17-Jun-14 21:42:39

baby your DD sounds an absolute delight smile

jimblejambles Tue 17-Jun-14 21:44:58

Dd is 13 months and just babbles although she is trying to say peppa pig. Ds1 had a few words at this age and ds2 had hardly any words until he was 2

Rowboat Tue 17-Jun-14 21:45:10

Normal is such a wide range. I think by that age dd had about 20 or so real words including mama and dadda, the name of her favourite toy, dirdies (birds), bubble, ball, quack, "bathtime", hello, yes, no, s'at?(what's that?) etc. But mostly babble with appropriate intonation.
I knew kids at that age with next to no words but are now on a similar level to dd at nearly 3.

sebsmummy1 Tue 17-Jun-14 21:45:18

Miaow that's interesting as my son walked before the age of one and is now very steady on his feet and climbs stairs, slides, runs full pelt etc. I did wonder if he might have concentrated in his motor skills to the detriment of his communication.

ShineSmile Tue 17-Jun-14 21:46:43

Only Mama, dad, daddy and babbles, seems to understand coat, duck, book etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now