Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What is your ideal holiday?

(34 Posts)
gutted2014 Tue 17-Jun-14 18:14:13

I met up with a very close friend this afternoon, who has just got back from a holiday. She was telling me all about it & obviously had a wonderful time. She went to Sharm-el-Sheikh (sp?) for a fortnight, all-inclusive with her DH & 2 DDs aged 4 & nearly 2. While they were there, they stayed in the resort the whole time, went to the pool every day & ate food they would eat at home in the hotel restaurants. Occasionally their DD1 went to the kids' club. The temperature got up to above 40 degrees every day, some days above 45. To me, this does not sound very appealing at all!

DH & I love self-catering holidays, often on a campsite in Europe with a swimming pool. We spend a couple of hours at the pool most days & in the bar playing pool etc & we also enjoy a wander into the nearest village or supermarket or perhaps castle or museum (not so easy with the age our DC are at the moment (5,3, 4 months), we find). We try to eat in a local restaurant once or twice during our stay & sample local dishes. We usually only go for a week, but if we go for 2 weeks, we tend to stay in 2 or 3 different places. I know this holiday would not appeal to my friend at all grin Once the DC are bigger (all 8+), we would like to do some activities on holiday & travel further afield than Europe.

So, I was just wondering, as the season is upon us, what floats your boat, holiday wise? I find it fascinating to see what other people like and maybe to get some cheeky ideas for the future grin

GeorgeHerbert Tue 17-Jun-14 18:28:53

My best holiday was in Corsica. One week in a little apartment and one week camping mostly in mountain refuges. Sea, mountains, lovely food. Best holiday with ds was a little place in Greece. Very simple, safe beaches, cheap tavernas, swimming bike riding and some nearby culture.

Turquoisetamborine Tue 17-Jun-14 18:54:11

My best holiday was the dozens of times I've been to Thailand. A week with my mam in Bangkok enjoying the city then a week in a beach resort relaxing and eating delicious food. Heaven.

Best holiday with DS has been a fortnight in Florida. He absolutely loved it and it makes me happy seeing him so happy.

iwantgin Tue 17-Jun-14 18:55:52

A city break with DH. Somewhere warm enough not to need a jacket.

No DC.

That'll do me. grin

WestEast Tue 17-Jun-14 18:57:47

Greek Island hopping, no big plans, just an arrival and departure point and make our way there stopping off in different places, plenty of boat trips, sleeping on beaches and popping up tents. Bliss. Oh and I'd take the BF.

Frogisatwat Tue 17-Jun-14 18:58:40

You sound a little superior OP. Holiday snob!

Spurious Tue 17-Jun-14 18:59:42

Something for everyone.

Last year in Lake Garda was pretty special, stayed in a great hotel with lovely buffet breakfast ( everyone happy ) , big pool with a fair few families about ( DD happy ), football every evening in floodlit pitch at hotel ( DS happy ), tennis courts ( DS happy ), we hired a car and did some trips up mountains, across the lake, to other resorts etc ( DH and I happy ) and lots of lovely dinners out in interesting local resorts at fab restaurants ( everyone happy ).

I like comfort, no so camping, I don't want to cook or clean on holiday so no self catering or cottage and I don't want to be scampering about for food when the children wake up early so breakfast incl is a must for us. I don't like being tied to a place for eating etc so just breakfast suits too. But with all the sports facilities of what you'd expect at a big hotel. It's not easy to find!

dietcokeandcadburys Tue 17-Jun-14 19:08:00

Where I'm going this summer - Spain. We go there all the time but it's great and I don't think I'll ever get bored grin Especially as we're staying here in August <tries to not get too excited>
www.havenonearth.co.uk/country/spain/costa-brava/begur/property-031D-detail.html

LumionaMoonsplash Tue 17-Jun-14 19:18:37

I like sun, sleep, wine and a pool. I also like city breaks if they're not too cold. I like the freedom of a self catering lodge in the country. I like Orlando theme parks too.
I don't like camping though.
We're doing the house up and saving this year so I'm fantasizing about holidays regularly.

gutted2014 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:18:58

Yes, a short break with no DC sounds good too grin (although I'm clinging on to my last baby, so it may be a few months yet blush)

Lake Garda also sounds lovely, although to me that just shouts camping! I can see why a lot of people prefer not to & sometimes it can be a bit like washing-up with a different view grin DH & I love the flexibility in not having to be back at a certain time to eat, or being able to change our minds on what to eat, though.

Greek island hopping - love it, maybe when DC are older smile

Corsica sounds like my kind of place & holiday smile

I also think, turquoise that anything that makes the DC happy goes a good way to making the parents happy, too smile

Frogisatwat (!) You sound a little rude. I never said my type of holiday was best, just that it appealed to me best, as my friend's type of holiday appeals to her best. Everyone is different, which is why I'm interested in finding out what other people are like.

Kruger park.

Chocotrekkie Tue 17-Jun-14 19:24:10

Orlando - disney and universal and shopping.

Only1scoop Tue 17-Jun-14 19:25:20

I'm also not keen on all inclusive compounds.

West coast of Ireland ....beautiful deserted beaches there splashing in rock pools with dd ....riding cycling etc....

Barbados for some sunshine....

Road trips through USA....Canada....

foxdongle Tue 17-Jun-14 19:25:51

lots to do and see, nice weather and food, waterpark/pool for dcs.
we have just come back from a cruise - really fab as you go to different places and there's plenty to amuse dcs too .
One of our best holidays was Toronto.
we are looking at a twin centre holiday for next year-possibly USA/Caribbean.
wouldn't go camping or on holidays with a lot of driving though.

gutted2014 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:26:37

Exit what/where is Kruger Park please <nosy>?

Only1scoop Tue 17-Jun-14 19:29:09

S.A

Preciousbane Tue 17-Jun-14 19:30:16

Camping never in a million years.

Hotel or self catering villa with a car so we can get out and about.

Have done some road trips in the states, especially like going to smaller places.

dietcokeandcadburys Tue 17-Jun-14 19:30:27

I hate staying in hotels on summer holidays - only short city breaks. For me, going to the supermarket/market and picking up some fresh ingredients to cook a local dish with is all part of the holiday. I hate being almost 'dictated' by hotels on what time you eat breakfast and dinner, I'm rarely up before 10 which seems to be the time breakfast ends! Can't stand all inclusive either, much prefer to my own thing now the kids are teenagers, although I can see the appeal with younger children.

My best holiday was Costa Rica. We travelled all around, stayed in some first class hotels, did lots of activities and also spent time at the beach and having massages. Perfect

Yep. South Africa.

Safari light.

SheherazadeSchadenfreude Tue 17-Jun-14 19:42:29

Hotel. By the sea. On my own.

craftysewer Tue 17-Jun-14 19:45:28

Self catering in a lovely cottage/house/apartment with my DH. Access to good restaurants, visits to historical buildings, somewhere nice to have a walk in the evening and a good pub.

kaytola Tue 17-Jun-14 19:48:31

Orlando. Disney, Universal and Kennedy Space Centre. Fabulous!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 17-Jun-14 20:10:20

Both of the holidays you describe in the OP sound good to me. I just love holidays grin.

My ideal would be somewhere between the two I think. A lovely, family friendly hotel somewhere warm (although 40 degrees may be a little too warm), probably all-inclusive or at least half board to keep the spending money costs down. Personally, I like to try local/different food when I am on holiday but I do also appreciate more child-friendly options (i.e. chips etc.) being available for picky DCs.

I would want a nice swimming pool with plenty of sunbeds for everyone but I wouldn't want to spend all day EVERY day there. I would feel very guilty to go to a different country and not even explore the local town/village/sites a couple of times.

Talisawasnotsupposedtobethere Tue 17-Jun-14 20:36:40

I love all kinds of holidays!

My ideal holiday I guess would merge them all - so maybe camping somehwere like the Alps/pyrenees for a few days with lots of walk/climbs etc, then a city break to take in lots of sights eg. Rome/Venice, then maybe a Disney type place and then finally a few days in an all inclusive - don't leave the hotel - stick the kids in the kids club - sit by the pool all day long with a cocktail and a book - holiday resort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now