Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I want to do some volunteering, maybe a companion for elderly people, if you volunteer can you give me ideas please?

(15 Posts)
LittleMisslikestobebythesea Tue 17-Jun-14 17:52:54

I currently volunteer as a reader in school which I enjoy, and I would like to do something else.

It would need to be in school hours ideally, couldn't be weekends as I work then.

I wondered if there was such a thing as a companion for an elderly person or something?

I am open to ideas and would like to hear about different ideas if you are happy to share.

Thank you thanks

EatShitDerek Tue 17-Jun-14 17:54:58

www.do-it.org.uk/

I found my volunteer place on there

FruVikingessOla Tue 17-Jun-14 17:57:59

How about contacting Age UK (used to be Age Concern, I think?) about volunteering www.ageuk.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/?

FruVikingessOla Tue 17-Jun-14 18:01:21

Or, if you like gardening there is a charity called Thrive www.thrive.org.uk/ where you can do volunteer work.

AuntieStella Tue 17-Jun-14 18:03:19

SSAFA have volunteers who do this. As they support those who did National Service, and their widows (as well as regulars and reservists) the vast majority of the over 70s are eligible. They are a seriously unsung charity that provides much more support than is often recognised.

EverythingIsAwesome Tue 17-Jun-14 18:03:27

Im a HomeStart volunteer, we work with families with children under 5 who need some form of support. I always do it in school hours, they even arrange the training to fit in with schools.

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Tue 17-Jun-14 18:15:48

I will have a look at those links, thank you

Everything I was a Homestart volunteer but I found it to hard emotionally. I didn't think it would be easy, and I had an honest chat with my coordinator and thought it wasn't for me, which is a shame. I really wanted to help, but found it too difficult.

alzheimer's society might be another place to look at

bubblesaregreat Tue 17-Jun-14 18:20:00

I second Age UK. I use to work for them (when it was Age Concern) and we always needed reliable volunteers who could spare a couple of hours a week. They often a befriending service and carers support (amongst many other things) and both are fantastic.

The befriending service means housebound people have someone popping in for a chat once a week. In many cases this person was the ONLY person that our clients saw apart from a carer stopping by to check they are OK.

The carers support service also usually meant sitting with a client once a week for an hour or two and giving their carer and chance to get out of the house and do something for themselves. Looking after someone with something like dementia/long term illness is often relentless and a break makes a huge difference.

Hope you find something you enjoy smile

CMOTDibbler Tue 17-Jun-14 18:20:31

My mum has a befriender through AgeUK who comes for an hour every other week, who takes her out in the wheelchair for a push round the park, or out for a coffee. Just enough for my dad to have a break, and mum to get some stimulation

Timeandtune Tue 17-Jun-14 18:22:11
Timeandtune Tue 17-Jun-14 18:23:02
LittleMisslikestobebythesea Tue 17-Jun-14 18:42:58

Yes I like the sound of visiting someone once a week for a couple of hours, to just give them some company. We get a lot of regular elderly customers in work (retail, chain with a food hall and cafe) and I always make time to chat to them, as I wonder if I'm the only person they will interact with that day or even that week, makes me sad

theeternalstudent Tue 17-Jun-14 18:51:52

Our local council organise walking buddies where you are matched with an older person to go out for walks with.

Or the Red Cross who offer a service to those just discharged from hospital where they take people for their shopping or they do the shopping. Sometimes it involves some light housework.

Most care homes look for volunteers to help out with trips and entertainment during the day.

Dementia friends has just had a big push. This can involve anything from pouring tea at dementia cafes to befriending.

Will post more as I think of them.

CMOTDibbler Tue 17-Jun-14 18:53:12

Littlemiss - for my dad who cares for mum (has dementia) and is very frail, the kindness of the staff in their local supermarket is pretty much his only RL interaction everyday. I am massively grateful to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now