Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Would you find toddlers playing outside at midnight odd?

(18 Posts)
BeachyKeen Tue 17-Jun-14 17:25:32

I live in a town house, with 10 ft high privacy fences on either side. This means I can hear my neighbours, but I can't see them. I have not met them, and have only once seen a person leaving their place. They are not English speaking, and in the last year of living next door, there have been no sign of children.

For the last two weeks, I have been hearing small children/toddlers playing outside of theirs from about 10:30 pm until about 1:00 am, roughly every third night.
I don't normally mind the shrill sounds, laughs, bangs and shrieks children make while playing, but it does seem strange in the middle of the night!
It sounds as though there is one around a year old (not speaking, just babbling) and another 2 or 3 that sound about three years old.

I know it isn't my business why they are up, but it does leave me wondering!
Can someone suggest a rational (or irrational!grin) explanation?

Piratejones Tue 17-Jun-14 17:28:09

Do you live next door to the Addams family?

Yes, it is a bit odd, just out of respect for other neighbours I wouldn't let my children play in the garden after 9.

PrueDent Tue 17-Jun-14 17:32:59

It is odd and inconsiderate but I'd guess they're holidaying visitors from whichever country your neighbours are from originally.

I'd guess they are either suffering badly with jet lag or the parents have decided to keep them pretty much to their home time so as not to upset theire body clocks too much and to make things easier id they have to return to school immediately after returning home.

mawbroon Tue 17-Jun-14 17:33:36

They are not English speaking. Do you know where they are from?

Could they have visitors from a far away time zone and the toddlers' body clocks mean they are awake at that time of night?

Or is it the being outside bit that you would like an explanation for?

mawbroon Tue 17-Jun-14 17:33:55

X post Prue!

boxprince Tue 17-Jun-14 17:34:59

Yes it's odd...maybe they are struggling to sleep with the heat.

Tvseemstobemyhobby Tue 17-Jun-14 17:35:09

Could it be anything to do with Ramadan? It's fasting time now isn't it? I know the children won't be fasting but perhaps the family have totally rejigged their schedules in line with when they can eat and have more energy to play with/care for their children and encouraging them to sleep during the day. I can't imagine caring for mine with no energy.

Failing that other than them hiding the kids and being on witness protection I can't explain it.

SolomanDaisy Tue 17-Jun-14 17:35:17

Jet lagged toddlers. Hopefully they'll settle down soon!

mawbroon Tue 17-Jun-14 17:37:37

I'm not a 100% sure, but I don't think Ramadan has started yet.

PrueDent Tue 17-Jun-14 17:37:57

Great minds mawbroon grin

BeachyKeen Tue 17-Jun-14 17:38:02

I don't mind them being outside, I am just curious!
I think, but am by no means certain, that they are Indian. I was wondering about the 'body time clock' thing too, but usually that adjusts in a few days.

BeachyKeen Tue 17-Jun-14 17:39:26

And I am in Canada, if that makes any difference.

fledermaus Tue 17-Jun-14 17:41:56

There was a thread recently about children's bedtimes being cultural. In hotter countries children tend to nap later in the day and stay up later.

PrueDent Tue 17-Jun-14 17:48:53

I think you're looking at at least 9 hours time difference between Canada and India. More probably. That's pretty extreme for littlies. As a teen the time difference between America and the UK had me awake for hours during the night and grumpy as heck during the day. I was old enough to respect others in the house and read quietly but if I'd been a toddler i'd've struggled.

SolomanDaisy Tue 17-Jun-14 17:55:45

We had friends from the US staying with us (in Europe) recently and their two had a couple of hours awake in the middle of the night for the whole week.

BeachyKeen Tue 17-Jun-14 19:23:22

I don't know that jet lag could last so long, so maybe that is it.

or they are vampires!

They're Transylvanian and they're coming to bite your neck. The one who babbles can't speak because of her huge, pointy teeth. Don't have nightmares, do sleep well grin

citruslemon Tue 17-Jun-14 19:57:04

Btw it isn't Ramadan yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now