Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

You're not allowed training, we don't authorised training in this department

(34 Posts)
Morethanalittlebitconfused Tue 17-Jun-14 17:10:19

So I was told today by my employer, an employer that prides itself on developing staff and in equal opportunities.

Can I challenge this decision? If so how?

We are the only team in a company of several thousand who aren't allowed training

StickEmAKissOnTheFish Tue 17-Jun-14 17:20:02

My first reaction at the thread title wasa a giggle.

Thought it was a joke!!

Cripes. What weirdoes

HaPPy8 Tue 17-Jun-14 17:20:49

I guess it depends on what you want training for?

Meow75 Tue 17-Jun-14 17:21:14

HR?

Frontier Tue 17-Jun-14 17:23:29

Why? I ssuppose a business can those not to train staff if it wants but doesn't sound like thats the case here. company does train but local boss says no? Speak to hr dept or boss' boss?

Nomama Tue 17-Jun-14 17:30:38

HR, immediately.

If not then look for their Investors in People number and report it.

HaPPy8 Tue 17-Jun-14 17:36:45

But it must depend on what the training is surely? The business is only going to pay for training that is needed for the role you do or any potential future role. If training is needed to carry out the job you do now, they are under no obligation to provide other training just for the sake of it?

CaptChaos Tue 17-Jun-14 17:38:28

Is this training you need to be able to do your job better?

As PP have said, talk to HR, because that sounds like a crock.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Tue 17-Jun-14 17:40:45

Thanks. The training will enable me to do my job better but will also enable me to develop my career and work elsewhere within the company.

Spacefrog35 Tue 17-Jun-14 17:45:25

HR definitely. There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for a refusal but the answer you've been given is not a perfectly reasonable explanation.

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 17-Jun-14 17:48:07

Hi.

Can you give us more detail. Who is the training with? Did you present a business case to your manager? Who arranges training? Who books it? Who authorises it?

RhondaJean Tue 17-Jun-14 17:48:10

Is there a corporate training/staff development type policy?

Nomama Tue 17-Jun-14 17:50:11

Which they should allow, if they have an Investors in People badge - as most large companies have these days.

If there is an IiP badge on the headed paper you can rattle it at HR and ask them to explain why you are being discriminated against. Also, in law, there MUST be a good business reason for them to say no, and a lot of rules about how they say no.

https://www.gov.uk/training-study-work-your-rights

Morethanalittlebitconfused Tue 17-Jun-14 17:54:39

Thanks. They proudly state they are investors in people so I'll go down that route!

It's internal training by an internal provider, I'm just not allowed to do it because of the team I'm in

iklboo Tue 17-Jun-14 17:57:40

Yes, I thought 'This is local training, for local employees. We don't do training here'.

Paq Tue 17-Jun-14 17:59:05

Their response is bizarre, but a department manager is allowed to decide what training and when their staff will get according to the needs of the business.

Nomama Tue 17-Jun-14 18:01:09

But they still have to give a good reason for saying no! A blanket ban is against employment law.

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 17-Jun-14 18:36:11

Which they should allow, if they have an Investors in People badge - as most large companies have these days.

No - training is not automatic with IiP. If it doesn't benefit the company/dept then it would be seen as a waste of time and money. If the manager has decided that it has no benefit to his dept then he would be more than within his rights to refuse his team members to do it.

OP - You can't play the discrimination card because your team isn' allowed training as 'being in [a particular] team' is not a protected characteristic.

What you would need to do is to present a business case as to what impact this training would have on your current job role and what benefits it will bring to the dept.

Nomama Tue 17-Jun-14 22:47:31

Ye gods, will someone read all I type?

I know that Funky. I posted that information and linked to the relevant employment laws.

I also acknowledged that IiP is a tad toothless, but they will withdraw their seal of approval if there is reason to do so.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 17-Jun-14 22:49:38

How on earth is a blanket ban on training against employment law?

Can you quote the relevant legislation please?

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 17-Jun-14 22:51:50

The link above only gives the right to request unpaid time off. Not for an employer to provide or pay for training.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 17-Jun-14 22:55:44

I would approach this carefully so as not to piss off your boss without good reason. Do you have the capacity at the moment to take time out from your day job to attend training. Is it an essential element of your role or would it just be nice? For example, there are lots of short courses I would like to do, however, I don't have the time to take out of my diary to do them, likewise my support workers.

Nomama Tue 17-Jun-14 22:57:52

Which is all you have a right to. Paid for is at their discretion.

OP said her boss told her that her dept gets no training - a blanket ban! Illegal!

It may not look fair, but that is the relevant employment law. That most employers offer a much more comprehensive deal is wholly at their discretion.

FunkyBoldRibena Wed 18-Jun-14 06:25:28

OP said her boss told her that her dept gets no training - a blanket ban! Illegal!

It is not illegal! IiP will not remove their seal of approval because one manager doesn't let the dept do training. The police won't arrest the manager because they don't allow training. Where are you getting your information from?

LadyWithLapdog Wed 18-Jun-14 06:29:19

There are lots of courses that would help me do my job better. I don't have the time and money for them and I can't expect my employers to pay or just give me time off either. I really think it depends on your industry etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now