Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

anyone who knows about passports PLEASE help me!

(114 Posts)
HecatePropylaea Tue 17-Jun-14 11:56:55

My husband is taking our children to Kenya this summer. Their passports expire in November. They are going in July and coming back in August.
They have visas in their passports, we sorted that out.
I have only just discovered that it says that travellers must have at least 6 months on their passports at the time of entry.

Well, they will only have 4!

My husband is dismissing my concerns and telling me I am ridiculous and there will be no problem, that he is Kenyan and do I really think that they will be refused entry...

Well yes, I do!

He won't entertain any suggestion that he might be wrong.

He knows better than both the british government website and the kenyan high commission site.

Please. Does anyone know. Will they end up being refused entry?

Pinkandpurplehairedlady Tue 17-Jun-14 12:00:19

I would call the embassy and check how stringent they are. I have been refused entry to a country because I didn't have the correct amount of time left on my passport. Could you get urgent passport renewals and visas done in time?

AnyFucker Tue 17-Jun-14 12:01:38

The Kenyan travel advice on Gov.uk seems pretty clear you need a clear 6 months on return travel here

HecatePropylaea Tue 17-Jun-14 12:04:11

I know.

He is just repeating "trust me, in their case there is absolutely no possibility. trust me"

I am actually CRYING right now. And he is just getting angry and refusing to deal with it because he is right and that is the end of it. He won't even ASK.

oh my god. they are going to get to the airport and be turned away.

I am so angry.

PeterParkerSays Tue 17-Jun-14 12:08:39

Why are you getting upset about this? Let him deal with it.

They will be turned away, so he will have to explain to your DC, extended family etc what has happened. Let him get on with it.

I wouldn't blame you if you wrote "told you so" on the mirror in lip salve so it appeared when DH had a shower, but it would be childish.

BeCool Tue 17-Jun-14 12:08:53

I don't think you will get a clear answer on this question.

Whilst the guidelines are 'clear' they probably aren't necessarily enforced strictly.

Your H may be right, you may be right, and it could well just depend on the person who is checking their passports on the day they arrive.

Bit of a mess - sorry. I really empathise with you though as anything to do with immigration etc can be really stressful.

If you get the DC new pp then you will need to get visas etc reissued?

BeCool Tue 17-Jun-14 12:10:03

I agree with PeterP - your H is dealing with this, let him take responsibility?

AnyFucker Tue 17-Jun-14 12:11:28

I don't know what to say sad

It is so close now you would probably have to apply in person at a Passport Office to ensure they are processed in time. Could you simply do that for the children's sake and ignore his protestations ?

BeCool Tue 17-Jun-14 12:11:55

Presumably the visas were issued by Kenyan HC? Did they have the PP when they did this? If so, then they knew the expiry date when they issues the visa's.

HecatePropylaea Tue 17-Jun-14 12:16:53

I am upset because they both have autism and this is such a massive deal. the first time they are travelling to their father's home country and meeting most of their family. To get to the airport and be turned away would be devastating for any child, for children with autism - I cannot describe the hell!

They will be hysterical and inconsolable and be unable to understand why they have packed for a trip, gone to the airport and then it doesn't happen.

I am trying to do it myself, contacting the passport office, but I can't get to london for the visas, and he is refusing to, and I am fighting him with it because I am trying to sort it out and he is taking stuff off me and telling me that nothing needs sorting.

I can't leave it to him because he will do nothing, go there on the day and refuse to accept that they might not travel, because HE has decided they will be able to.

I just feel really upset and stressed about it. And he doesn't seem to care or accept that I HAVE to sort this out or there is a chance that they might be refused travel, because he has decided that cannot happen.

HecatePropylaea Tue 17-Jun-14 12:19:36

yes, the visas were issued by the KHC. He went down there. He was also sorting out getting their kenyan birth certificates.

But - he got the 6 month visa when the passports still had over 6 months on them! Because - you can't put a 6 month visa on a passport that has less than 6 months on it.

He is a FUCK UP.

I asked and asked and ASKED and he goes on and on about how he's right and ARRGGGHHHH!

It's just going to come down to me. again. trying to pull a fucking miracle out of my arse. Again.

Pinkje Tue 17-Jun-14 12:20:46

Sorry to raise this but do you trust your DH to bring the children back?

Hard though it is, I think you have to let him deal with this. He may be right he may be wrong but its his problem now. They may well be more flexible with children especially as Visas were issued without difficulty.

Are you travelling with them? You sound very stressed by this and I wondered if it was a reaction to the DC going away without you? DH takes the DC to his home country every year (North Africa) and I might join them for a week but they are gone for a month. I start to get a bit of a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach from about a month before they go just at the thought of being without them and worrying about them being so far away without me being there. DS1 is 10 and DS2 is 6 and DH has been taking them to his country since they were babies but I still worry about them going and still miss them hugely when they are gone.

HecatePropylaea Tue 17-Jun-14 12:31:33

He's just said that he will panic when he needs to panic but not over things that are so trivial.

what an ARSE

will he bring them back? yes. I have no concerns there. I am the trustee of our eldest son's trust fund and I also have all the money. If he was to stay with them in Kenya, he'd have nothing and neither would they. Everything is here and managed by me. They have support here and therapies that they need.

Now he is saying that my behaviour is "unusual."

"all this panicking is most unusual behaviour, I must say"

HecatePropylaea Tue 17-Jun-14 12:33:54

No, I am not travelling with them. I am very stressed about it (it's very obvious, isn't it? grin ) that's true, I think because I feel helpless and I feel that my concerns are not being taken seriously. I feel that he is dismissive of my worries and refusing to accept that he might just not be right.

now he reckons he can just phone his friend at the embassy and get a letter that overrides the policy on needing 6 months on a passport hmm

He probably can just ring his friend at the Embassy you know! wink If the DC have Kenyan birth certificates now anyway can he put them on his Kenyan passport? DH has the children on his passport for Algeria as they don't require children to have separate passports - that way the children don't need a visa at all. and they just take their British passports to get back in to the UK without having to queue for hours.

AnyFucker Tue 17-Jun-14 12:39:41

OK, Hec, ignore my previous suggestion. This is what I would do.

I would completely detach from this. Play no further part in the travel arrangements. Leave it all to him and do not raise the matter again after one more attempt to get him to see past his quite ridiculous propositions. In the meantime, I would start quietly preparing the boys for the chance they may not be able to travel. Then make sure you are around to pick up the pieces if it all falls apart by planning some nice days out with them.

AnyFucker Tue 17-Jun-14 12:40:22

The boys, that is. I would tell your husband to Get to Fuck.

Hoppinggreen Tue 17-Jun-14 12:42:27

Unfortunately we can't help you because your husband is being an arse.

HecatePropylaea Tue 17-Jun-14 12:47:32

Yeah. I'm getting there, AF.

If this turns to shit I am finally going to be done with him. It will be the last straw in this long, bloody ridiculous, well, you know, AF, don't you?

He's just said why don't you let me just deal with it. why are you acting like this, what's wrong with you

erm. our autistic children will be inconsolable and unable to understand that they are at an airport and won't be flying! (if we can't sort this out)

I just want to see some indication that he is taking this seriously. Because at this point it is sortable. fastrack passports and hotfoot it to the embassy. Why WON'T HE?

HecatePropylaea Tue 17-Jun-14 12:48:38

ha, that made me smile. Yes, I know you can't help with that.

I guess I was hoping that someone might know that there is wiggle room in minimum time left on a passport rules.

HauntedNoddyCar Tue 17-Jun-14 12:49:00

First hurdle is check in. The airline will not carry passengers who don't have the correct documentation. Start by speaking to them.

At the UK airport it is only the airline who check you are eligible to travel. Security just see you match your documentation and have the correct boarding card.

How flexible Kenyan immigration are is difficult to say. He may be right .

Phone the airline and have a chat with them.

HecatePropylaea Tue 17-Jun-14 12:50:51

I have just after reading your post said to him why don't you phone the airline

his reply

that will not be necessary.

AnyFucker Tue 17-Jun-14 12:52:05

Hec, I do know, yes. sad

HecatePropylaea Tue 17-Jun-14 12:53:08

"you're making a mountain out of a molehill, honey"

ok. I'm just going to kill him. That'll solve all my problems. Chuck him off something really really high.

(I'm not even sure that I am joking)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now