Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I think I'm addicted and I don't know what to do.

(19 Posts)
YoureAnIdiotGoodNewsImTakingOv Mon 16-Jun-14 20:55:52

This will sound stupid, but it's really bothering me.

I have a coke addiction. Well, Pepsi Max, to be exact.

I've drank it for as long as I can remember. My mum used to laugh about how milk was a pointless expense, so they'd give me coke in a bottle. It's on my medical records, too...it rarely comes up, unless I'm talking to a dentist or a psychiatrist, but it's something that people can't help commenting on.

My foster family were encouraged to mix full fat coke with diet coke, and slowly wean me onto that. They did. They tried introducing fruit juice, squash and water, too, but water made me throw up. It still makes me horrifically nauseous. Fruit juice is okay for a small drink, but more than that every few days gives me tummy ache.

So I live on diet coke. I buy four or five 8-packs a week, and that's my drink. Sometimes I'll have a probiotic drink at work, but mainly, it's diet coke.

I've spent today avoiding it, and drinking only sugar free squash, but it's miserable. I'm not craving it, but I miss it. I'd be happier drinking it.

What on earth do I do?

fuzzpig Mon 16-Jun-14 20:59:11

Oh gosh that sounds horrible, being put on it from such a young age. No wonder you are hooked.

Well done for taking this step. I know there have been threads by people who've kicked the Diet Coke, so hopefully people with more experience will be along soon!

HPparent Mon 16-Jun-14 21:02:03

I know two people one a relative, one a colleague who have overcome this addiction with the help of their doctor. Please see a doctor ASAP both have quite serious gastro problems which is probably directly linked.

Frogisatwat Mon 16-Jun-14 21:02:48

I have a friend who is a diet coke addict. Sadly no advice but just wanted to say I understand its a very real addiction.

ALittleFaith Mon 16-Jun-14 21:04:17

It's more common than you think! Especially if it started at a young age. Honestly, if you can cope with it, cold turkey is probably best. You may get intense caffeine withdrawal if you don't drink hot drinks? I used to drink a lot of diet coke and I went cold turkey. It was tough but I found alternatives (elderflower pressé is lovely, sparkling water with lemon). Now I can't stand the taste of diet coke and never drink it!

Glitterkitten24 Mon 16-Jun-14 21:06:31

Oh my goodness, that's a lot of diet coke.
The good news is, it actually doesn't take very long to 'detox' from caffeine and diet coke- I've done it and after two days, the headaches and cravings pass.

The hardest bit I guess will be finding another drink instead. Have you tried sparking water? You could try and wean yourself onto that, maybe with a nice cordial or squash which you can make weaker as you get used to the taste?

I have tried to stop having super or sweeteners where possible, and went from diet coke, to diet lemonade with lime cordial, to soda with lime, to just soda. My (long, rambling) point is- I can't drink diet coke now cos it's too sweet. Your taste buds and body adapts.

Glitterkitten24 Mon 16-Jun-14 21:07:33

Cross posts alittle

spanky2 Mon 16-Jun-14 21:08:24

I had to give up caffeine as it gives me migraines. It is really hard and does make you feel crap and get bad headaches. It is an addiction, a caffeine addiction. Could your doctor give you any addiction support like smokers get?

Pinkelephanty Mon 16-Jun-14 21:17:28

I have almost the same problem. I can drink a few other drinks but don't like any of them nearly as much as diet coke. I weaned myself off of it for a while but missed it too much and it's back. I can drink one or two cans a day or I can drink 5 if I'm not being strict. I've never drank water or milk in my life (hated it from the age of 2/3) and grew up on squash.

I'm not sure what you'd drink instead but if you can find something you like you can do it. I've done it before by going from diet coke to caffeine free and then going from there to another drink. It sounds stupid but my meals aren't as enjoyable without it and I couldn't even think of having a take away with anything but diet coke (okay maybe wine) but nothing else is as nice.

HouseofEliot Mon 16-Jun-14 21:23:40

I only drink proper coke can't stand diet stuff and pepsi is rank. My teeth are bad as a result. I can drink squash but don't enjoy it. I don't like tea or coffee. We used to have it delivered when we were growing up from the pop man.

sad what a rotten start in life flowers

How are you with hot drinks? Could you try coffee instead? You'd still be getting the caffeine but it wouldn't cause the dental problems and it's so socially acceptable it's just seen as normal.

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Mon 16-Jun-14 21:30:38

I used to be addicted to coca cola, but managed to wean myself off it. It wasn't easy and I craved the caffeine, especially as I don't drink hot drinks.

I cut down my consumption gradually, and now I allow myself a drink of it at a cafe or if out, but I don't buy it in. I really enjoy it as a treat now.

Please get some help from your GP, caffeine addiction is a genuine one.

WipsGlitter Mon 16-Jun-14 21:36:01

I used to be addicted too. About a litre a day. I went cold turkey. It was very hard. I've not had it for nearly 18 months now. I worked out it was the cold and fizz I liked so try to substitute with fizzy water. It's very hard.

I'm scared to try having "just one" in case it's a slippery slope.

I've no real advice but you have my sympathy.

Imsuchamess Mon 16-Jun-14 21:41:06

I am addicted was started on it age three I drink two litres of regular coke or Pepsi a day. I don't like any other drinks.

YoureAnIdiotGoodNewsImTakingOv Mon 16-Jun-14 21:42:29

Thank you all...I was so worried that no-one would understand.

I do need to switch, I think. Swapping onto sparkling water and then trying to do cordial could be an idea, I'll get some on the way to work tomorrow.

I should probably see my GP, too.

It's bizarre, in a way, that it's so socially acceptable. The inlaws even get a few cases of coke in for me if we're going up for a while, like it's totally normal. My DP makes sure that we have some in the house so we don't go thirsty, and colleagues buy it for me all the time. I feel like I'm hidden in plain sight.

I used to be addicted to coffee. I'd drink about 10 mugs a day. I was getting constant headaches and not sleeping well.

I went cold turkey. It was bloody awful. Felt utter crap for about 3 days. Felt sick and dizzy, very tired, off my food. But after that I was fine. It's probably better to see you gp though and do it with support.

I now drink herbal teas, the occasional green tea, red bush tea.

Do you like milkshakes? Or appletise is nice.

spanky2 Mon 16-Jun-14 21:44:22

I wonder if the Pepsi is self soothing? Do you know what I mean? You must have had a difficult time growing up and you might use it to comfort yourself. I use food.

HPparent Tue 17-Jun-14 08:21:05

I would go to the GP. Medical help was beneficial to my colleague and also my relative (who is herself a nurse). My colleague only realised he had a problem when his mum bought the wrong brand and he wanted to hit her! He went straight to the doctor to ask for help.
My relative was really ill with collitis (sp) and the doctors thought it was directly related to the coke problem.
Both received counselling and addiction advice and it really helped them. It might be easier if you don't have to do it alone.

NoisyToyHell Tue 17-Jun-14 08:26:57

I bought cans, allowed myself 2 a day and drank flavoured sparkling water (sugar free) from Tescos all other times. I need the fizz blush

Once I'd cut down that much I could go cold turkey. I now drink coffee or flavoured fizzy water niw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now