Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Dr qualification to consultant time

(15 Posts)
ChazzerChaser Mon 16-Jun-14 14:16:30

If you qualified as a dr in 2000, as in graduated then. What year would you become a consultant? How long does that whole thing take?

Lucked Mon 16-Jun-14 14:22:57

It took me 9 years but it depends on your field and also how you went about your training. In the past lots of people were stuck at sho level waiting for a reg job. others have gone abroad for a while, had a family etc. it took my husband 14.5 years but he was fickle and bad at exams.

TeacupDrama Mon 16-Jun-14 14:24:00

I think probably a minimum of 8-10 years provided you pass every exam first time and take them at minimum time intervals and move jobs every 6 months to start with then every 1-2 years final pre-consultant post is normally 4 years

MerlotforOne Mon 16-Jun-14 14:26:39

Depends on the speciality, how much research you get involved in, whether you take any time out/mat leave etc.

I know people who qualified in 2000 who were consultants by 2009, having done full time training, not taken any time out for research/travel/family etc and chosen less competitive specialities.

I also know people who qualified then who are in competitive specialities where you need research degrees/fellowships etc to even be considered for a consultant post, have had a couple of mat leaves and travelled a bit, and they're still another three or four years away from consultancy.

cakesonatrain Mon 16-Jun-14 14:27:24

Depends on your speciality.
DH took 7 years, but took 3 goes to pass his final exams.

Oh, but that was post-mmc. I guess it would have been longer starting in 2000.

ChazzerChaser Mon 16-Jun-14 14:28:54

Brilliant. Thanks. That stacks up with what I was reading. Total tangent but that doesn't look particularly having children friendly!

ChazzerChaser Mon 16-Jun-14 14:30:26

Don't know what mmc is, but this is post 2000.

Would you expect to have publications by then or does it depend on the speciality?

Lucked Mon 16-Jun-14 14:35:18

Again depends on specialty. Not everyone publishes, not everyone likes research. It does help you get on though.

Lucked Mon 16-Jun-14 14:36:28

mmc I was pre mmc.

cakesonatrain Mon 16-Jun-14 14:37:47

Modernising Medical Careers.
A shake-up of the qualification-to-consultant training period.

Lucked Mon 16-Jun-14 14:43:48

Someone qualifying in 2000 may or May not have been caught up in MMC depending on where they were in their training. My husband qualified before me but ended up in MMC, I didn't as I already had a SpR post.

CMOTDibbler Mon 16-Jun-14 14:50:46

I know a lot of consultants in a lot of countries through work. Some love to publish and will have lots of papers, some will have only published as a registrar (and thats dependant on being attached to consultants who publish really), and some do fabulous, ground breaking work, but never publish it as they are too busy doing their clinical work - or just don't like writing papers

DinoSnores Mon 16-Jun-14 14:53:22

Depends. I should have become a consultant 9 years after graduating, but have been on maternity leave for most of the last 4-5 years, so it's taken a bit longer!

Are you thinking about a career change? If you can give us some clues as to why you are asking, we might be able to advise as different specialties are definitely different in how compatible with family life/less than full time training they are.

ChazzerChaser Mon 16-Jun-14 15:13:46

Ah no. No career change. Was just looking at a consultant who's going to be treating my little one and trying to get a feel. I'm from a not dissimilar field so was trying to frame it in what I know, but also remove my projection of what it's like in my field.

In another life though, I think I'd have been a great dr. I like figuring things out, researching them, and have lots of compassion and good with people. Although I appreciate in the real world being a dr isn't just these lofty ideals. And I hate no sleep so wouldn't make it through the junior dr stage.

ChazzerChaser Mon 16-Jun-14 15:14:53

And thanks for the info everyone. That's really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now