Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Can facebook force me to install messenger app?

(16 Posts)
MorrisZapp Mon 16-Jun-14 07:39:10

Ive already installed it twice after being instructed to, and then uninstalled it as it drove me mad (annoying alert noises, and circles bouncing about my home screen).

I have a pm waiting for me that I really want to read but it wont let me past the bloody 'install messenger' page. I don't want to install it!

Anybody else getting this?

Imsuchamess Mon 16-Jun-14 07:42:28

Yeah I had to install it angry

fuckinglondonballs Mon 16-Jun-14 07:42:40

Yes.

Use Facebook mobile instead (although not sure how long they'll let you do that for) or a laptop/PC.

OwlCapone Mon 16-Jun-14 07:44:59

What is this?

Sirzy Mon 16-Jun-14 07:45:08

I am just going to use my laptop for messages instead.

YellowStripe Mon 16-Jun-14 07:45:36

Yes and using it on your mobile means that anyone who has your number can see whether you have messenger installed and what your Facebook name is. hmm

dietcokeandcadburys Mon 16-Jun-14 07:45:36

Yes. If you are on iPhone though you can change the style of notifications to stop them being so annoying

DontPutMeDownForCardio Mon 16-Jun-14 07:50:41

I've turned off notifications and am checking messages on internet explore. It wants too many permissions.

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Mon 16-Jun-14 07:51:40

I am not updating the FB app in order to avoid this.

MorrisZapp Mon 16-Jun-14 08:10:14

Yes good point, I have used my iPad and it was fine. I absolutely hate the latest update of Facebook, but they have all the power don't they. Every update is met with howls of outrage yet they persist in reinventing the wheel.

Can only imagine it is to keep developers in jobs.

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Mon 16-Jun-14 08:25:46

It is to tie you in harder to FB.

ManchesterAunt Mon 16-Jun-14 08:28:54

Yes you do, I unticked something about my mobile nber and managed in find the settings to change tge ridiculous circle thing.

I still hate it but I clicked on FB one day and it said I had to install messenger.

Halt tempted to uninstall the app and just use Facebook in my phone's internet browser.

dietcokeandcadburys Mon 16-Jun-14 08:29:13

I really hate it when developers make changes to apps despite half of the users being happy with how it is. Whenever there's an update they just seem to fuck it up even more.

LeftyLoony Mon 16-Jun-14 08:30:45

I just use FB via my phone browser to message. Not the app.

OwlCapone Mon 16-Jun-14 09:37:13

Please can someone explain what this is?

Lioninthesun Mon 16-Jun-14 11:44:18

I was wondering the same OP as it is reminding me every time - I really don't want to. I think I just won't use my mobile to read messages when out and just use it to upload pics/status change. I keep ignoring it anyway. I'll just take the whole app off if they make it impossible to use it otherwise! No wonder teens think it is crap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now