Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

its official. don't wash your chicken

(201 Posts)
Frogisatwat Mon 16-Jun-14 07:10:23

On the news now! There was a thread around Christmas where lots of mn'ers washed meat. Well don't!

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Jun-14 07:11:56

I have never washed chicken. Seems a bizarre thing to do. Just cook it properly.

Frogisatwat Mon 16-Jun-14 07:13:33

Nor me but a surprising amount did. Its really serious campylobacter. (Sp?)

RachelWatts Mon 16-Jun-14 07:14:29

I wasn't on MN at Christmas, but people wash meat? Why? Seems like a good way of spreading bacteria round the kitchen and giving the family food poisoning.

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Jun-14 07:19:29

That lady still has paralysis in her feet. sad

That's exactly it Rachel. I try not to even touch raw chicken if I can help it, let alone give it a good scrub.

beachyhead Mon 16-Jun-14 07:20:29

Read this as ' don't wash your children' gringrin quite excited...

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Jun-14 07:20:56
Piratejones Mon 16-Jun-14 07:21:09

I though the thread title was "don't wash your children".

i've never washed meat.... too lazy.

annielouise Mon 16-Jun-14 07:23:36

Thanks, but I think I'll carry on rinsing meat under the cold tap. The thought of not doing it is bleurgh to me.

That's always been the official advice AFAIK, and very sensible too, washing chicken seems like the fastest way you can imagine to spread bacteria round the kitchen.

Frogisatwat Mon 16-Jun-14 07:28:19

Have a read of that link annie! Its a dead chicken a thorough cooking will kill off any bacteria

Why would you wash a chicken?

Think splashing water containing potentially very harmful bacteria over your kitchen and yourself is far more yuk!

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Jun-14 07:36:45

I just can't imagine washing meat. confused The sink getting all splashed with meaty water-plus having to touch it. Bleurgh.

annielouise Mon 16-Jun-14 07:39:46

I have it down to a fine art, never fear. Cold tap on low, rinse dried blood off chicken and meat, have baking tray that you're putting it in right next to sink so you're not carrying it anywhere. Chicken/meat goes in the oven. Hands, taps, sink and sink area get washed down. Never had any illness from it in 30 years. Seems a bit lazy not to wash it but each to their own.

pippitysqueakity Mon 16-Jun-14 07:39:53

But why would you wash meat? Don't get that.

annielouise Mon 16-Jun-14 07:41:02

How do you get meat or chicken from package to baking tray if you don't touch it Sparkling? What's the big deal about touching it? Everything can be washed.

Flisspaps Mon 16-Jun-14 07:41:18

But why wash chicken/other meat?

Any bacteria on it will be killed during cooking, the same as the bacteria in it!

annielouise Mon 16-Jun-14 07:43:34

Because as said have you never seen dried blood on anything? Why would I not wash that off? True any germs are probably killed off but to me it's meat that's been lying about touching all sorts, possibly has dried blood on it so I like to wash it off. I won't stop doing it because someone says so. It's how I was taught so that's what I do. You carry on not doing it, I don't care. Each to their own as I said.

LumpySpacedPrincess Mon 16-Jun-14 07:47:34

It's the heat and the cooking process that kills bacteria. Washing raw meat prior to cooking is just weird and unnecessary.

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Jun-14 07:47:43

I just sort of tip it in annie, I have never been able to touch raw chicken. I don't eat any other sort of meat, there's no way I would touch red meat.

treaclesoda Mon 16-Jun-14 07:47:49

but you didn't really say 'each to their own' because you also said it seems lazy not to. confused That's a whole new level of judginess - judging people for doing something that is more dangerous than not doing it. A mumsnet first grin

mousmous Mon 16-Jun-14 07:49:00

I try getting this through to my parents.
to no awail.
their food hygiene is questionable at best. their fridge is at 10 degrees and they store stuff without lids, raw and cooked nicely mixed up.

treaclesoda Mon 16-Jun-14 07:50:12

gah, I meant judging people for not doing something that is actually more dangerous than not doing it.

Also the chicken I buy doesn't have dried blood on it, not that I can see anyway.

dietcokeandcadburys Mon 16-Jun-14 07:51:02

The chicken I buy never has any dried bloody on it confused It's not lazy to not wash something that isn't supposed to be washed

mousmous Mon 16-Jun-14 07:51:40

oh, and they say they are never sick. erm they are but chose to ignore it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now