Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Does anyone here know anything about Sugarcraft, or can help me please

(36 Posts)
McPhee Sun 15-Jun-14 23:22:57

blah blah blah...have set myself up for a fall.

I'm trying to make dd a Hungry Caterpillar cake for her birthday, but it seems I have no idea how to actually construct the caterpillar.

For a start, do I just use normal rolled coloured icing, or is there something else I need to be looking for?

And how do I stick all the body bits together.

I've got 2 weeks to get this right blush

Am hoping an expert will come along and I can pay them to do it for me grin

Lewisfan Sun 15-Jun-14 23:24:43

don't M&S sell a caterpillar cake? wink

Davinadivine Sun 15-Jun-14 23:28:02

You need to find an image of the cake you want to replicate. There are some cool cupcake ones on google that would be much easier than trying to construct a caterpillar.

McPhee Sun 15-Jun-14 23:28:47

Oh don't you worry, I've checked out all the caterpillar cakes in the southern hemisphere. And just for a moment, I nearly went down that route. The problem is I made dds cake last year and now I've pressured myself in to it again this year.

Stupidly in my head, it feels a let down to not do it again blush

Hakluyt Sun 15-Jun-14 23:30:38

Google images Hungry Caterpillar cake, find the one you like best, then post it on here and we'll tell you how to make it. It will be easier than you think, I promise.

McPhee Sun 15-Jun-14 23:31:46

Oh bum, I've not explained myself very well. The cake will be a white iced number 2, then I've got lots of coloured icing to make the food. What I'm struggling with, is just the stupid caterpillar blush.

I've got spotty ribbon to go around the bottom, and letter stamps to do her name etc, plus small circle cutters to do spots around the cake board. Grrr I wish I could bloody draw, because it would really help my head plan it out!

BreeVDKamp Sun 15-Jun-14 23:33:22

Are you wanting to make a little 3D caterpillar to go on top do a cake, or the whole cake to be in the shape of a caterpillar?

If the former, I'd make discs of sugarpaste (aka fondant or rolled icing) - make balls and flatten them a bit - to make the segments of the caterpillar, and stick them together with a tiny bit of water or sugar syrup (or edible glue but done fork out for it if you're not going to use it again). Can't think of other features of the hungry caterpillar off the top of my head!

Hakluyt Sun 15-Jun-14 23:33:44

Ah. Is he going to be a 3d standing up caterpillar or a flat one like a picture?

BreeVDKamp Sun 15-Jun-14 23:34:16

Sorry for typos

McPhee Sun 15-Jun-14 23:34:46

Like this! It looks so simple, and now I am feeling rather thick grin

BreeVDKamp Sun 15-Jun-14 23:35:54

Ah cool! Yeah see my previous post then. Cute cake good luck!!

I made this one a while ago. The caterpillar is done with little squashed balls of fondant pressed together and glued onto the cake with edible glue (you can use royal icing). I just copied the face from the book. Honestly, it was really easy.

Sorry, cross post. Make it in the same way, but add some gum trag to your fondant to make it hold.

Right, this is easier than you think.

First don't panic, it makes your palms sweaty and the will make the icing sticky.

You need three shades of green. If you have ready coloured icing mix the green with some white to lighten it.

First make 8 balls with each shade of green. Then place them artily in a wavy formation until you are happy.

Now slightly squish each ball so the are more of a 0 shape than and O shape and place on the cake.

Face

Roll a red ball and place and one end of your snuggle of balls.

Are you following so far?

Hakluyt Sun 15-Jun-14 23:38:23

I would make discs out of different colours of green icing, the flatten one side into a wedge. Then just stack them together, sticking them with a glue made by dissolving some icing in boiling water.

I think once you actually start it'll be easy- you've just got a fit of stage fright!

dietcokeandcadburys Sun 15-Jun-14 23:40:37

Get yourself down to M&S - you need a Colin.

McPhee Sun 15-Jun-14 23:40:45

hold on, hold on....what's gum trag?

<panics>

Ah, do you need it to be standing, or could you just lay it flat on top of the cake?

Normal ready roll icing is too soft to have it standing upright like that you need some gum trag to stiffen it.

McPhee Sun 15-Jun-14 23:41:30

I tell you what...if it goes tits up, a colin it will be confused

McPhee Sun 15-Jun-14 23:42:08

I was hoping to have it standing, but if it prefers to recline so be it grin

STOP PANICKING <strokes hair>

<washes hands for kitchen hygiene>

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C1000-ultra-fine-TYLO-POWDER-CMC-cake-decorating-icing-sugarcraft-gum-trag-sub-/360478153531?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&var=&hash=item53ee2c1b3b also known as tylo, it just adds a firmness to your fondant so that shapes dont collapse. You just use a very small amount, add in some trex too if you have some.

Hakluyt Sun 15-Jun-14 23:43:18

Honestly,ordinary icing'll be fine for something that simple.

Don't terrify the poor woman Glaikit - you'll be talking about flower paste and Garrett frills next!

Right, reclining. We can do that! See my first post, is that clear enough?

I have to go to bed now ,<knackered> but pm me if you need online suppliers of stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now