Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Will I look like a fool starting a college course at 30 years old

(31 Posts)
scarletoconnor Sun 15-Jun-14 23:06:04

I have a professional job at the moment that basically I never wanted to do grin.
At school I really wanted to be a hairdresser but my teachers / family encouraged me to take a more academic path as I was quite academic / expected to make good grades.

My entire GCSE's were about this profession, as were my A levels, my degree and then my career.
I've worked now for 10 years in this area and hated it since Day one, though got quickly used to the money so I was never in a position to train to do something else.

Since having my 2 dc I have no motivation to go back to a job I hate and for the absolute first time in my life my dh is making enough that providing I take on a part time job somewhere I can retrain and be a hairdresser.

My friends and some of my family are trying to talk me out of it. My dh supports me doing it.

Will I look stupid starting again at 30 though?

No, you won't. I recently completed a Level 1 Childcare course at college and was one of the youngest on the course, at 24!

You'll find everyone is there for the same reason and probably has the same worries.

Go for it smile

DontPutMeDownForCardio Sun 15-Jun-14 23:09:16

No! My sister went to uni at 28 and is about to start her phd at 31. Do it!

SmartiesMakeMeNaughty Sun 15-Jun-14 23:09:24

Of course not. You will look strong, smart & like someone taking control of their future. Go for it.

Marmaladecat1 Sun 15-Jun-14 23:09:29

No, I don't think you would.
IMO you did your time, life is short. Do something you want to do.

weegiemum Sun 15-Jun-14 23:11:18

Not at all.

I did school, Uni, teaching college, work etc .....

And at 35 went back to college to do theology!

I loved it, met some great people and was never made to feel out of place.

Mrsjayy Sun 15-Jun-14 23:12:49

I have done various course's my last one when I was 40 you realy are only young go do your course

Nah. I'm the oldest on my course (just finishing a masters). The next youngest is 30.

My undergrad group ranged from 16-53 year olds, all hitting higher education. So no, there is no upper limit.

scarletoconnor Sun 15-Jun-14 23:16:03

thanks everyone I'm a bit worried about being on a course with people almost half my age.

I've mostly been getting criticism from friends who I work with but I know they all love there job. I've always felt more like I was a bit railroaded into it.

I just can't imagine working another 30-40 years in my job.

scarletoconnor Sun 15-Jun-14 23:16:33

their jobs *

crazykat Sun 15-Jun-14 23:18:27

Go for it. One of my friends is 30 and is just finishing her first year of a hairdressing course and she loves it.

Your DH is behind you and its something you've always wanted so sod what anyone else thinks. Do what makes you happy, life is too short to carry on with a job you hate when you have the option to train for a job you'd love.

Foodylicious Sun 15-Jun-14 23:18:58

Go for it!
You are never to old to change career.

I was in my mid 20s before I went to uni to do nurding and was worried I would be old compared to all the A level leavers.
There were others on my course in their 30s, 40s, 50s

dont understand why anyone would try to talk you out of it!

good luck!

LadyWithLapdog Sun 15-Jun-14 23:19:12

Thirty? Young, so young... Do your course. Perhaps you could do it part-time, alongside your other job, to see if you like it. Don't underestimate how difficult it is to get used to less money. But don't worry about thd age.

Mrsjayy Sun 15-Jun-14 23:19:20

Do what makes you happy , although the last course I did was just a 12 week one half of them were young lads near my dds age they were great though just do it life is bloody short

Billynomates71 Sun 15-Jun-14 23:20:11

Never! I went back to uni at 32 and as a single mum, best thing I ever did, have never looked back, and never regretted it for a single moment. Some of the best times of my life. Go for it!

PeachTrees Sun 15-Jun-14 23:21:44

nope , youl be surprised at the age range. my first year in college there was a 68 year old lady (beauty course grin ) in my second year a large chunk were in their 30s and 40s and were mums. .

Mrsjayy Sun 15-Jun-14 23:23:54

I know a lady she is a retirec gp she finished her masters at 69 she wanted to do it before she was 70

sandgrown Sun 15-Jun-14 23:24:13

I started a degree course at 47 and my friend went on a brick laying course at age 56 ( most of the others were young boys). Just go for it !

Billynomates71 Sun 15-Jun-14 23:24:16

Oooh, just read your later update OP. I gave up a £50k pa job to go back to uni. All my friends said I wouldn't last, wouldn't be able to live on a student budget, basically that I would fail.

Three years later I graduated with a first class hons degree so that showed them!!

I was desperately unhappy in my job, had sort of fallen into it, like you, but didn't want to do it forever. So I changed direction, couldn't be happier.

Good luck, you'll do fine. Xx

GoshAnneGorilla Sun 15-Jun-14 23:25:19

Do it! 30 is no age and you'll regret it if you don't try it.

spiderlight Sun 15-Jun-14 23:29:15

No, of course you won't! I've taught a woman of eighty-four, who was nursing her husband through Alzheimer's and decided that she fancied doing a degree in psychology as a distraction and to keep her mind active. She was wonderful and all the other students on the course adored her - she used to go to the 'study groups' in the pub after the lectures and everything. Nobody bats an eyelid at mature students these days. Do it!

foadmn Sun 15-Jun-14 23:37:35

not at all. you'll look brilliant. what a wonderful thing to do. this is your life and you know what you want to do with it. good for you.

Wonkytooth Sun 15-Jun-14 23:40:32

Go for it.

I just finished my gcse's at age 49.

Good luck. How exciting - I live studying now.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 15-Jun-14 23:41:18

No, of course not. Go for it!

GatoradeMeBitch Mon 16-Jun-14 00:09:18

Please don't say that! I'm considering college and I'm not far off 40!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now