Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

At what age should/did your child learn to...

(59 Posts)
FattyMcSaggyChops Sun 15-Jun-14 22:39:09

Ride a bike?

Tie their own shoelaces?

Tell the time?

Be trusted to shower/wash hair without supervision?

FattyMcSaggyChops Sun 15-Jun-14 22:40:07

Ride a bike without stabilisers that should have said. smile

Annunziata Sun 15-Jun-14 22:41:52

Washing their hair and shoelaces, about 7 or 8. The rest in their own time, there is no rush.

ZanyMobster Sun 15-Jun-14 22:42:12

5 or 6 for all at the latest? DS2 still hasn't cracked the bike riding yet at just turned 6 but we have not really practised enough, he's not a natural but mainly our fault as we don't go out enough.

MirandaWest Sun 15-Jun-14 22:42:38

DS rode a bike at 4.5. DD was just over 6
DS can tie shoelaces at 10 but he's a but rubbish at it, not sure DD who's 8 has ever worn shoes with laces.
They've been able to tell the time since about 6 or so.
Shower and hair wash from about 8.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 15-Jun-14 22:43:53

Bikes - 5yo
Shoelaces - Still don't but have never had any shoes with laces (they're 6 and 8). I can't tie shoelaces blush
Time - 6yo
Shower unsupervised 6yo

Ride a bike- 7, I think.
Tie shoelaces- he can't, I am lining this up for the summer, along with joined handwriting.
Tell the time- nearly 9.
Shower etc- 7.

I have taught lots of children who learn to tell the time/ do laces at about the same time- including some who never quite grasp either of them. I'm always curious about a possible link.

ZanyMobster Sun 15-Jun-14 22:44:58

Actually thinking about it, probably Y2 for telling the time so 6/7 as they don't necessarily need to before that I guess.

Dragonlette Sun 15-Jun-14 22:45:39

Dd1 was 10 when she finally learnt to ride a bike without stabilisers. We didn't go out as much as she needed us to and she had a bike that was passed on from a friend which was actually far too big for her til she was about 9.

She could tell the time by 4 though. Don't remember tying shoelaces. Hair/shower was about 6.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 15-Jun-14 22:48:30

DD was 4.4 when she first rode without stabilisers, 4.7 when she learned to tell the time.

She is now 5.3 and has had a go with shoelaces but can't seem to get it, and I cannot imagine letting her wash her hair unsupervised for several years.

ShirazSavedMySanity Sun 15-Jun-14 22:48:39

Ride a bike - just turned 5

Tie shoe laces - just turned 5

Tell the time - almost there now at just turned 6

Shower - still not there, she likes to do the shampoo and soap herself but I /DH help as well

ShirazSavedMySanity Sun 15-Jun-14 22:50:05

Although DS has just learnt to ride his bike at 3 and 8 months but I'm putting that down to him having a balance bike first and wanting to so everything his older sibling does

FattyMcSaggyChops Sun 15-Jun-14 22:51:06

I'm just wondering as DD1 will be 6 after the summer and she can't do any of these. Time telling was mentioned in her report and she is keen to try and do her own laces and ride a bike but I don't want to make the summer stressful for her.

Also DD2 is 4.5yo so wondered if she was too young.

I sometimes feel that when DD1 only gets time with me when dd2 is there so we do activities suitable for Dd2s age. So was worried I was holding Dd1 back.

WrongendoftheSTIX Sun 15-Jun-14 22:51:52

Interesting re. Telling time ages.

I'm a primary teacher and have rarely encountered a yr 3 child who can properly tell the time including quarter to etc on an analogue clock. Most of the kids I encounter have finally mastered analogue and digital by Year 5.

ZanyMobster Sun 15-Jun-14 22:52:13

Also just thought that girls would probably be different with hair washing as may need supervising for longer with the washing.

FattyMcSaggyChops Sun 15-Jun-14 22:53:14

wrong what age is year 5? Is that just the same as primary 5 in scotland?

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 15-Jun-14 22:53:58

That amazes me, Wrongend. In DD's reception class about half the class can tell the time to some extent. DD immediately "got it" and did 5 past, 25 to, ten to, quarter past etc etc straight away. From deciding she wanted to learn it took about a week.

306235388 Sun 15-Jun-14 22:54:08

Bike - ds was 6 but has hypermobility

Shoelaces - he can't do (is 7) but tbh not tried much

Tell time : 6

Shower etc : he could now but he faffs and gets water all over the place

ZanyMobster Sun 15-Jun-14 22:54:59

Wow that is interesting re telling the time, I am quite shocked as all the Y3 children I know can tell the time really well. DS2 is Y1 and struggles with it but DS1 could tell the time properly at that age.

TheReluctantCountess Sun 15-Jun-14 22:56:03

Ds is seven and can ride a bike. He can tell the time, usually accurately.
He can wash himself,but has to be encouraged to wash his hair.
He can't tie shoe laces yet.

Noggie Sun 15-Jun-14 23:02:44

Ride bike= 8 as no inclination to do so beforehand despite our wishing she would. Seeing other kids in her class out on their bikes was the motivation in the end but did require a lot of effort on our part over a few weekends!
Shoelaces =7
Tell time =7 although needs reminded frequently
Wash hair = still help her rinse it properly at 8

EdYouKateShaun Sun 15-Jun-14 23:03:08

DS rode a bike with no stabilisers at 3.3. He's too young for the rest.

I'd not expect DD to be washing her hair adequately (if its still long for ages yet)

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 15-Jun-14 23:04:47

I don't know about 'should', but my DC could;

Ride a bike without stabilisers: DC1 6, DC2 5, DC3 4.

Tie their own shoelaces: The only one who has shoes with shoelaces is the 8yo and he learnt when he got those shoes aged 7. No idea if the other two can!

Tell the time; about 7.

Shower unsupervised: about 6 and a half.

firstchoice Sun 15-Jun-14 23:05:13

ds - bike at 5, shoelaces - not yet, time, around 7/8, shower/hair - not yet. He is 10.
dd - bike at 5 , shoelaces - nearly there, time -getting there, shower/hair - yes. She is 6.

steppemum Sun 15-Jun-14 23:07:07

bike - ds was 4.5, dd1 was 5.5 and dd2 5

time - around 7 properly on analogue (can tell o'clock and half past from about 4/5)

laces - 7 ish?

washing - 4 or 5, but hairwashing, depends on their hair. dd1 is 9.5 and struggles to do it properly (thick shoulder length bob)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now