Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

For Uncompetitive Parents...

(31 Posts)
BikeRunSki Sun 15-Jun-14 21:46:10

This popped up on my FB feed, as one of those naff many-times shared motos on life. I rather liked it.

Make The Ordinary Come Alive - William Martin

Do not ask your children
to strive for extraordinary lives.
Such striving may seem admirable,
but it is a way of foolishness.
Help them instead to find the wonder
and the marvel of an ordinary life.
Show them the joy of tasting
tomatoes, apples, and pears.
Show them how to cry
when pets and people die.
Show them the infinite pleasure
in the touch of a hand.
And make the ordinary come alive for them.
The extraordinary will take care of itself.

ancientbuchanan Sun 15-Jun-14 21:47:42

Wordsworth said much the same,

Getting and spending we lay waste our powers.

BikeRunSki Sun 15-Jun-14 21:51:12

I like Wordsworth for that. I am very much a scientist, but in my 40s now I am beginning to enjoy, understand and appreciate literature.

Annunziata Sun 15-Jun-14 21:53:07

That's very pretty. I was singing Twinkle Twinkle to DD3 today and I realised that she's never seen a star. Isn't it lovely she has that to look forward to?

kippersmum Sun 15-Jun-14 21:53:58

Lovely, one to print out & put on the fridge (serious praise in this house) thank you xx

Luggagecarousel Sun 15-Jun-14 21:59:09

The three brightest, hardest working girls from my class at school all got into top unis, got good degrees and embarked on highflying careers. now we are in our mid 40s it has all turned to dust for each of them. burn out and depression, long term sick, or minimum wage job. It has certainly made me re evaluate my aspirations for DC.

BikeRunSki Sun 15-Jun-14 21:59:19

Annunziata how old is she? Dd is 2.8 and signs it with the hand actions now. It is extremely cute. Ds is 5 and really into nature. I keep promising that I will wake him up to look at the stars one night in the summer hols. I clearly remember my GF doing this with me at a similar age. I adored him,it is one of my fondest memories. Heafe the ordinary come alive.

siblingrevelryagain Sun 15-Jun-14 22:03:45

We recently did this with our boys-my eldest (7) had a school project on nocturnal creatures and had to write about what he saw & heard at night. So we sat outside 'til it was dark, had a fire/hot choc/marshmallows etc. A few candles in the garden and the night sky made it a magical evening I'm sure they'll remember forever. Probably the easiest & cheapest thing we've done with them!

OP thanks for this. I often find myself worrying about the DCs and how 'successful' they are (and I fully accept that's my issue- but it's a hangover from my childhood). I think this may be a useful reminder that they are amazing as they are

BikeRunSki Sun 15-Jun-14 22:10:29

I do stealing that!

DS's best mate and mate's sister both do a sport at high level. Both primary school age and national gold medal winners. But it's all they do and train/compete for 20+ hrs a week outside school. If/when they're injured they don't know what to do with themselves.

Ds goes to school; does a bit of this; a bit of that; PLAYS!!! This poem has made me feel much better that he is not amazing at anything.

Annunziata Sun 15-Jun-14 22:11:38

She is only 15 months smile So much to look forward to- the beach and the snow and the stars!

SantanaLopez Sun 15-Jun-14 22:15:16

This is such a peaceful thread. Beautiful!

elQuintoConyo Sun 15-Jun-14 22:26:23

DS 2.6 has bern running in and out of little waves today, squeaking, with DH. They were trying to catch the waves by stepping on them grin

We are getting year passes to the zoo this summer - DS has never seen a live cow, let alone elephant/giraffe/dolphin! I can't wait to see his face!

He already drags me outside to show me "look mummy, MOON!" even when it's such a fingernail you can hardly see it!

Even at his young age it's all about: is he talking, can he recognise his name, is he toilet trained, can he count, does he know his colours.... etc. Well, some of the above, but mostly he likes chasing me round the house with a yoghurt lid, caked in yoghurt.

BikeRunSki Sun 15-Jun-14 22:27:08

anunziata ah, 15 months! smile I will freely admit that I struggled with 9-18 months, but found 2+ fascinating. You have so much to look forward to.

Annunziata Sun 15-Jun-14 22:38:22

I feel so blessed with her- there is 15 years between her and my second youngest so I have been there and done that and I know that they don't remember the holidays, they remember splashing in puddles and playing in the park!

Lioninthesun Sun 15-Jun-14 22:39:33

DD (nearly 3) and I spent 20mins rolling down a hill at a castle today. It was the best part of our day. It's taken me a while to find a hill with just the right incline grin

PandaWatch Sun 15-Jun-14 22:47:56

13mo DS spent ages today playing with the hose - watching the water running, waving it around, pouring it over himself, pouring it over his toys. Then he moved on to inspecting all the little holes between the patio stones with his gorgeous, tiny chubby fingers. He was having the best time and so were we, just watching him. I can't wait for him to discover more of the "ordinary" magical things life has to offer smile

Singlesuzie Sun 15-Jun-14 22:50:13

Lovely. Thanks OP.

MitMopse Tue 17-Jun-14 22:16:47

Oh I have something in my eye, lovely OP one to remember.

JellySnakesLadderedTights Wed 18-Jun-14 21:48:14

Oh, I like that. Thanks for posting OP.

:-)

wigglesrock Wed 18-Jun-14 21:52:44

This popped up on my FB feed a few days ago, I'm usually a bit oh meh about stuff like that, but I really liked it.

This morning I put the little table on the sofa and covered it with a blanket, and dd (2.4) had her "poddige" in a cave.
She spent the afternoon throwing the piles of cut grass in the air and covering everything with it, in between putting bits in the bag, all the time squealing with delight
She counts. One two six seven eight nine six
She's not potty trained, can't say her own name properly and has gone to bed covered in felt tip.

They only get one childhood after all

Excellent fred op!

OscarWinningActress Wed 18-Jun-14 22:06:49

Marking place to save this poem for later. Thanks, BRS smile.

CarpetBagger Wed 18-Jun-14 22:07:44

I agree its wonderful, I do try and teach this to dd but already she is alone in a sea of bitter materialistic people who have lots and are still not satisfied and want more....

I just hope I instill all this appreciation in her before their influence kicks in.

Singlesuzie Wed 18-Jun-14 22:16:28

Same carpetbadger. My eldest is 8 and friends all talk about PS3 and minecraft and what theyre getting for birthdays or where theyre going on holidays but my youngest is 5 and still very much in his own world where he is simultaneously a pirate, spiderman and a robot who uses a fishing rod to dig for treasure grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now