Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Help me to not notice an extra £800 leaving my account each month!

(11 Posts)
Scotslasslivinginfrance Sun 15-Jun-14 21:07:00

We are moving house and have found a new home to rent but it's going to cost us an extra £800 (€1000) each month! Whilst we are happy (well as happy as we can be! ) to pay this I'm just looking for ways to save money in other ways during the month so that this increase in rent has as little impact on our day to day to life as possible. Or maybe I'm just being overly hopeful!

I'm sure that between you all there will be lots of helpful money saving tips and advice that I haven't thought of.

PossumPoo Sun 15-Jun-14 21:24:51

that's a fairly big jump OP!

annielouise Sun 15-Jun-14 21:28:23

Well you could tighten up your food bills and utility bills but presumably council tax will be more. Any savings to be made on transport with the move?

Scotslasslivinginfrance Sun 15-Jun-14 21:37:38

possum I know!

annie the new taxe we are to pay, has still to be confirmed but should be fairly similar to what we currently pay. Utilities in theory should be less our current home is old and costs a fortune to heat (or not... As the heat just leaves the house through all the little nooks and crannies it's also very badly insulated). So our underfloor heated newer home should cost less to heat, yeah!

Will definitely save on petrol costs.

Yes I could definitely tighten up on food / shopping bills...tips please?

Eyelet Sun 15-Jun-14 22:01:07

Find the frugal thread on here.

Meal plan
Bulk buy and batch cook..
Set a budget and stick to it
Portion control (DH finally shed the two stone he put on since our wedding)
Bulk out mince with lentils and pulses
Have a budget night (beans on egg on toast once a week)
Eat less meat
grow your own veg but only grow what you eat

Decide the difference between want and need
Sell unwanted or old things
Secondhand bundle of clothes can often be a fantastic way to save cash for children.

Eyelet Sun 15-Jun-14 22:11:47

The growing veg is my pet hobby but as I'm currently juggling children and a degree I've scaled back. I grow tomatoes, salad lettuces, spring onions, runner beans, peas, courgettes and butternut squash. Because those are the things which cost me the most to buy.

I freeze batches of roasted tomatoes and courgettes to use over winter and start growing under glass to make rhe absolute most of the season.

Scotslasslivinginfrance Sun 15-Jun-14 22:19:54

Thanks eyelet - meal planning is definitely something I could do and I reckon that would help, I have a habit of buying lots with little thought and then still topping up during week when I decide what I want to cook that night.

Budgets are a good idea too as are your other ideas. Planning to have a yard sale before moving as we have so much stuff. I already buy a lot of my dc stuff secondhand but we do buy more than is necessary. Thanks

Scotslasslivinginfrance Sun 15-Jun-14 22:23:28

Very impressed eyelet, I haven't done much this year in my garden as I knew we would be moving, hopefully I will catch the tail end of the season, even if it's just some pots of things.

GreeboOgg Sun 15-Jun-14 22:45:21

Maybe check out the MSE forum, particularly the 'Old Style' section? There's huge amounts of info there on batch cooking, meal planning, cleaning without spending a fortune on all the latest chemicals and crap from the supermarkets.

Utilities and food I'm guessing will be your biggest outgoings after rent? So looking into ways to maximise the better efficiency of your new place in terms of heating etc., would be a good place to start, as any good habits formed now will help when the bills really stack up in winter.

Food-wise, well I'm utter crap at meal planning as I tend to grab reduced items, and I also have a habit of going "meh, don't fancy that, would rather have..." So instead I batch cook and make the most of my freezer. You can get take-away style containers that are safe to use in the freezer/microwave at around £4 for 20-50 last time I bought some on amazon. That's for 500ml-650ml, and they are reusable (although not as tough as expensive clip-lock types).

If you have space for a larger freezer then keep an eye out for reduced meat, fish and veg, as you can chuck it straight in then dig it out when you have 'the other stuff' required to make up a good pan of something/you're having a tough month adjusting and need to rely on your store cupboard. If you have the cash I'd definitely recommend doing a "big" shop for dried and tinned goods when you first move in so you've something to fall back on if things get tight while you're adjusting.

I didn't mean for this to be so long confused Enjoy the new place! Sounds very exciting! grin

Scotslasslivinginfrance Mon 16-Jun-14 08:41:21

gree thanks for this! With a little bit thought I could totally make savings with my food bills, I sound quite similar to you, I chuck in the trolley what I fancy without planning, we also tend to change our mind about what we want to eat and end up buying other stuff.

I haven't really done the batch freezing since I stopped working so it might be quite fun to go back to having pot luck lunches and suppers. I wasn't very good at labeling things and once frozen everything used to look the same so I never quite knew what I was eating until it had defrosted by lunch!

It is exciting planning a move and hopefully the reality is to!

Eyelet Mon 16-Jun-14 09:01:04

Use a sharpie to label, quick and easy and washes off after use.

my DH was given notice of redundancy last year and we went on a complete economy drive. Helped that the winter was mild so turning down the thermostat saved cash, we also fitted door curtains and thermal blinds at the windows.

DH got another job, and we found we'd saved enough to replace all the windows upstairs shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now