Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

So upset, phone wiped and I've lost all my favourite (MN) quotes, please share yours

(21 Posts)
BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 15-Jun-14 19:50:40

sad

I know this sound silly, but I used the little notebook on my phone to Choy every little quote/saying/funny quip that I read in random places on MN and t'internet. I probably had 50 odd.

I'd read them every few weeks and took a lot of, I don't know, comfort? from them. I had to send my phone away to be fixed so I backed it up, assuming they would be included in the backup, but they weren't. And now they're gone. I'm upset about it, DP asked what was in the notes that I was sad about losing and I didn't want to say as he wouldn't understand, then he told me to tell him "so he could sympathise", so I reluctantly did, he just said "oh, it's hardly the end of the world". I know it's not, but they were very important/helpful to me.

These were some of them (or the gist of them, at least) - hoping you clever bunch can help recover some of them by putting any you have along the same lines! Please don't laugh though, I know this it's silly.

-You get the relationship you think you deserve.

-Be kind wherever possible. it is always possible to be kind.

-Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, first consider whether you are just, in fact, surrounded by assholes.

-You need to dispatch him into orbit into orbit around planet offyoufuck.

-Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

-The three grand essentials to happiness in life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

-Surrender to what is, let go of what was, have faith in what will be.

-Little steps can lead to big things, eventually.

-What other people think of you is none of your business.

-Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

-You've confused "having a plan" with "things I'd like to happen".

That's all I remember at the mo.

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 15-Jun-14 19:53:21

Another one:

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does.

And:

If you don't control your anger, your anger will control you.

MrsLeonard Sun 15-Jun-14 19:57:32

no is a complete sentence

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 15-Jun-14 20:06:03

There was one that was something like "keeping your relationship monogamous is not a passive thing, you need to consciously keep it that way. Nobody can infiltrate your relationship unless you let them in"

But was obviously much more succinct than that. An MNer said it on someone's thread once.

pinkbear82 Sun 15-Jun-14 20:13:05

I love these types of things, here are some I have found recently. I hope you can build yours up again and maybe find some new ones along the way smile

- in life we do things. Some we wish we had never done. Some we wish we could replay a million times in our heads. But they all make us who we are, and in the end they shape every detail about us. If we were to reverse any of them we wouldn't be the person we are. So just live. Make mistakes, have wonderful memories. But never ever second guess who you are, where you have been, and most importantly where it is you are going.

- do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.

- if you don't like where you are then change it - you are not a tree.

- every little step could be the start of a huge adventure

pinkbear82 Sun 15-Jun-14 20:14:29

Oh and I love

Think prick say tut....

Comes in handy many times! Some times I think tut and say prick, that gets awkward!

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 15-Jun-14 20:36:43

Haha, I like "Think prick, say tut"!

There were loads about life and bad experiences mean you learn, or become wiser etc.

Argh I'm so annoyed at myself! Why didn't I email them to myself or something. The ones I can't remember were the best ones. But you're right, the list grew all the time so hopefully this way I will learn some new ones too.

tethersend Sun 15-Jun-14 20:40:39

There's no 'I' in idiot.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...

Dr Seuss

penguinplease Sun 15-Jun-14 20:47:23

Clinging to the familiar just buys you comfort today at tomorrow's expense

Crikeyblimey Sun 15-Jun-14 20:54:53

One of my mother's favourite sayings (not a MN spesh but hey).

Ships sail east and ships sail west whilst the self same breezes blow.
It is the set of the sail and not the gale that sends them where they go.

She often abbreviated it to 'it's the set of the sail'.

IceBeing Sun 15-Jun-14 20:58:39

If all else fails make cunt bunting?

tethersend Sun 15-Jun-14 21:05:07

Cunting.

headlesslambrini Sun 15-Jun-14 21:07:46

Life isnt about sheltering from the storm, its about learning to dance in the rain.

Thats one of my favourites.

Crikey that's a good one. Wise mum!

nethunsreject Sun 15-Jun-14 21:16:40

This too shall pass.

newyearnewshoes Sun 15-Jun-14 21:23:55

I don't know if it is a mn classic but I do love the Gandhi quote "be the change you want to see in the world"

Ememem84 Sun 15-Jun-14 22:31:14

Say what you mean, mean what you say and don't be mean when you say it.

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 15-Jun-14 22:54:52

Crikey that is a good one! Very true.

Thanks everyone flowers

I've remembered one more, "May your past make you better, not bitter".

tabulahrasa Sun 15-Jun-14 22:59:28

My favourite two are

Love is like a fart, if you have to force it, it's probably shit.

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes...then you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

But I suspect you meant more useful ones than that grin

BakerStreetSaxRift Mon 16-Jun-14 17:55:19

No new ones have come back to me today, unfortunately.

Come on, brain, get a move on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now