Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

DS's passport photo - is too pale acceptable?

(23 Posts)
kim147 Sun 15-Jun-14 15:31:30

You can tell it's him. He's not smiling. But the flash and his pale skin have made him look ghostly.

Are they fussy over the colour quality?

who took the photo?

kim147 Sun 15-Jun-14 15:33:44

The machine.

Luggagecarousel Sun 15-Jun-14 15:37:16

You re best getting it done by a professional photographer. That way, if it doesn't come out right, they do it again. And if the passport office reject it, they will do it again free of charge. also they have the experience to know if it is going to b accepted. Our local snappy snaps even have different back grounds for different nationalities, as they know what shade each government likes best!

I don't think a wash out from the flash will be acceptable.

nothruroad Sun 15-Jun-14 15:38:27

My last passport photo was like this. I stupidly wore a pale pink top as well so I looked naked. It was accepted though. Why don't you use the Check and Send service at the PO - I'm sure they could tell you.

RancidOldHag Sun 15-Jun-14 15:38:33

It might be (sorryl). Can you use check and end and see if they ave a view?

When printed into the passport, good contrast photos come out a lot paler than the original. One that is washed out and therefore poor contrast might not be adequate.

Some chain photography shops do it by camera - costs a little more than a machine booth, but will keep taking until there is a set that meets passport standard (and they see enough to know what they're talking about).

kim147 Sun 15-Jun-14 15:39:36

That's my gut feeling. DS quite liked it but he's not the one paying for it.

sanfairyanne Sun 15-Jun-14 15:40:17

check and send said my son was too pale. i sent it anyway and it was fine. he just is pale!!

KittiesInsane Sun 15-Jun-14 15:43:09

Check and Send said DD was fine, but the passport office still rejected it for being too pale.

I re-sent a very similar photo with a note to say 'This is a very pale child with no visible eyebrows'. They took that one.

Clarinet9 Sun 15-Jun-14 15:45:46

naked passport photos - the mind boggles!!!!

OwlCapone Sun 15-Jun-14 15:46:41

With a pale child, I wouldn't use the photo booths. I am very pale and always looked dreadful with a photo booth photo. I take passport photos myself now and have them printed by Paspic online. That way I get one I'm happy with and can take as many as I need to!

The passports I've just got back have iPhone photos.

OwlCapone Sun 15-Jun-14 15:47:40

rancidoldhag is right, the ones prints in the passport are much paler than the actual photo was.

OwlCapone Sun 15-Jun-14 15:48:38

The one I took for me this year used natural sunlight so I didn't get washed out by the flash.

kim147 Sun 15-Jun-14 15:48:55

Hmm. He might not be visible then.

Maybe a bit of blusher grin

I too have used paspic for passport photos. The last one we did for dd was quite pale too but it was accepted.

brittanyfairies Sun 15-Jun-14 16:10:02

My DS' passport photo was rejected because he is white blond and pale. He was sick and running a temperature for the second set. I'd have been screwed if it wasn't for that bit of colour in his cheeks from his temperature.

Clarinet9 Sun 15-Jun-14 16:20:18

one of my dcs was the hospital photo, very pale baby in white top lying on white sheet

maybe it was the marks left from the various drips and tubes that made him show up ha ha!

deakymom Sun 15-Jun-14 16:26:25

i used the machine for my drivers license it was ghastly i looked ginger and ghostly (im actually not either) get it done in max speilman?

YellowStripe Sun 15-Jun-14 16:28:12

I find you have to trowel the make up on to get a half decent booth pic - like stage make-up!

PicandMinx Sun 15-Jun-14 16:35:07

I have dark hair and I wear red lipstick. I had my photo professionally taken and yet when my passport arrived, my picture has greyish hair and coral lipstick. You can just about recognise me.

AlpacaPicnic Sun 15-Jun-14 16:35:33

I am sooooo tempted to get my next passport pic done with no top on! Just to see if they say anything about my bare shoulders. Might get a few looks in the post office queue for the machine though wink

I have very pale blonde eyebrows and eyelashes despite having very dark hair. I also have pale skin. I have to draw my eyebrows in every day otherwise you can't see them! I also have to carry mascara at all times. If I had a pic done without the addition of makeup the flash would wash me out so much I would look too ill to travel...

Harry1603 Sun 15-Jun-14 16:38:44

I'm very pale (DH says my make up is pure brilliant white!) and I also looked naked in my last passport photo as I was wearing a pink top! I sort of blended into the background but the passport office accepted it.

ChuffMuffin Sun 15-Jun-14 16:43:02

No it's not fine. I am incredibly pale and I have this malarky with passport photos too. If my skin colour was a shade of paint, it would probably be Elizabethan Lead :D.

Avoid the booths, they make you look even more washed out. I went to a photographers that took passport photos, think it cost me a fiver for four pics. The woman took my pictures, said they would be rejected as I'm too pale, and then darkened me a little bit on a touchscreen machine.

Slightly unrelated but, I sent my passport renewal fast tracked and got it back 3 days later. They'd printed my passport the day after I sent it. This was in October 2012 but is that some kind of world record?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now