Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Magical mumsnet batch cooking

(54 Posts)
justcallmethefixer Sun 15-Jun-14 15:28:14

So today I am batch cooking, I have 1 whole chicken & 500g mince, with various extras. How many meals/portions will I be able to make from this?

I will post the answer later once all is portioned up ready for the freezer. smile

FatalCabbage Sun 15-Jun-14 15:53:32

"Extras" - lentils/beans/pearl barley, or less proteiny?

A bulked out bolognese/chilli from 500g mince could do 8-10 portions, then I'll have another 4-5 each from the dark and white meat respectively, and a soup from the stocked bones. Five meals for family of 4-5 assuming no ravening teenagers.

Or, if you're greedy like us it would be one roast, one mince & tatties, and stock for next roast's gravy.

deakymom Sun 15-Jun-14 15:58:16

how do you bulk out mince and still get the kids to eat it?

FatalCabbage Sun 15-Jun-14 16:18:02

My children aren't fussy. I started with finely grated carrot and celery, which pretty much totally disappear into cooked dishes, but now I just finely dice them.

DH drew the line at sweetcorn though, drat him.

justcallmethefixer Sun 15-Jun-14 16:22:24

Extras include lentils, beans, veg, pasta etc.
planning on lasagne , chilli, roast chicken and salad for tonight, chicken for lunches, Spanish chicken (chicken with choritizo butterbeans & veg)

FabULouse Sun 15-Jun-14 16:23:19

Thought it said biatch cooking

FabULouse Sun 15-Jun-14 16:23:37

Sorry to lower the tone

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Sun 15-Jun-14 16:28:26

I thought I did well today having made bolognese to serve 4 and put half of it in the freezer. Now feel guilty that my 500g of mince could have lasted much longer. grin Ah well baby steps!

KarlWrenbury Sun 15-Jun-14 16:29:11

those are one meal each for us

KarlWrenbury Sun 15-Jun-14 16:29:26

500 g is nothing!!!

Haroldplaystheharmonica Sun 15-Jun-14 16:32:56

If I make a meal from 500g mince, it would do us four for one meal (2 adults, 2 kids -7 & 9) and a couple of kid-sized portions for the freezer. My boys don't have huge appetites though, a 500g lot of mince would be only just enough for my friends with kids of the same age.

justcallmethefixer Sun 15-Jun-14 17:03:19

I am cooking for me, DS 14 & dp. Most will be made into single serve portions as due to various commitments eating together is difficult during the week.

DS & dp are capable of making extras (bread/pasta/ rice etc) to bulk out their servings if needed.

GoldenGytha Sun 15-Jun-14 17:51:06

500g of mince, just about does me and two DDs for one meal of Pasta Bolognese, or Mince and Tatties, with maybe a handful of mince for the cat who loves it.

I only ever buy Chicken Breast Fillets as we only like white breast meat, but before I used to buy a whole chicken, and throw most of it away as no one would eat it.

KarlWrenbury Sun 15-Jun-14 18:43:32

lol at the OP who has 500g on her and thinks this is a GIANTS meal grin

BarbaraPalmer Sun 15-Jun-14 18:48:53

a chicken = 2 dinners for 2 adults, a 7yo and a 3yo
a pound of mince = usually one dinner for us all, and a day or two worth of leftovers for DH to take to work, depending on what it's made into

EverythingIsAwesome Sun 15-Jun-14 19:00:51

BrokenToeOuch Sun 15-Jun-14 19:05:22

Bloody hell, that's hardly any food!
5 of us here and we use 1kg of meat (won't use mince) in things like chilli, spag bol with possibly only a scraping left over for ds lunch the next day. Definitely not enough to bother freezing.
And a chicken does us one roast and Dp picks the carcas for making his sandwiches for one lunch!
However, this is MN, so I reckon you'll make about 35 portions with what you've got there!

anyoldname76 Sun 15-Jun-14 19:07:05

A whole large chicken will do us (2 adults,3 children) 2 meals. 1st night we have a roast chicken dinner, 2nd night curry or wraps.
500g mince will do us 1 meal, whatever I make with it.

Szeli Sun 15-Jun-14 19:09:57

A chicken 2 adult roast dinners and a baby roast dinner and a curry for the same 3 portions.

500g mince would be bulked out with beans and veg etc so say for a chili we'd be looking at around 8 large adult portions

Our portions are obscene tho, it's why I'm such a fatty, I'm sure if you ate sensibly you could do much better

EverythingIsAwesome Sun 15-Jun-14 19:11:18

1 chicken feeds 5 of us for a roast, with enough leftovers for a sarnie next day
500g mince makes one meal.

So in answer to your question, 2 meals and a snack.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that it will feed 36 people for a month.

DrLizShaw Sun 15-Jun-14 19:12:39

I can get 3 meals out of 500g mince... I double the quantity with lots of finely chopped veg, then make bolognaise with about half of it. Then double what's left with beans and use to make two chillis. That said my kids are little and will eat a negligible amount of it so that's really between me and DH.

cakesonatrain Sun 15-Jun-14 19:14:12

A decent sized chicken? I think we get about 8 portions. Some bigger than others but as we have 2 adults and 2 smalls that's ok.

Not sure about the mince as we don't currently buy it much.

cakesonatrain Sun 15-Jun-14 19:16:09

Actually, ignore my chicken-portioning. I have no idea.

KarlWrenbury Sun 15-Jun-14 19:25:00

ew at your meals tbh

prettybird Sun 15-Jun-14 19:31:19

A 1.6kg roast chicken will do 3 of us (2 adults and 13 year old ds) 2 meals and then made into stock and the remnants stripped off for a broth (with carrots, neeps and cabbage) so another 6-8 portions of soup.

500g mince will make chili for c.10 portions, stretched with blitzed hidden veg (carrots, leeks, onion celery if I have it - I might even put in a cube or two of frozen chopped spinach) and 3 cans of kidney beans.

I am old enough to have witnessed how our portion sizes have increased over the last 40-50 years. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now