Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

what bbq food?

(16 Posts)
MrsLeonard Sun 15-Jun-14 13:23:40

going to do a bbq for us and friends on wednesday. there will be approx 8 adults maybe 10, and at least 10 children. i am known in my circle of friends for doing fab parties. so food wise am thinking burgers, hot dogs and maple belly pork slices, mini jacket spuds, potato salad, big bowl of salad, coleslaw, going to ask my mum to make a couple of quiches (yum), a big tray of cupcakes, possibly a fruit salad. am i missing anything out?

TiredCassandrasbed Sun 15-Jun-14 13:27:10

Bread of some sort?

MrsLeonard Sun 15-Jun-14 13:30:02

there will be rolls for burgers and hotdogs

Any vegetarians coming?

I think as it's a bbq there's not that much grilled stuff. It's sounds lovely but is heading towards buffet territory. We're having a BBQ today and having, BBQ ribs, steak, minted lamb steaks, garlic and chilli prawns, koftes, peri peri poussins, burgers, sausages and mushroom and halloumi wraps.

I love bbqs grin

Apollonia6 Sun 15-Jun-14 13:34:18

Fresh peaches and pineapple cut into chunks, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and wrap in foil packets, put on BBQ for fifteen minutes, serve with ice-cream.

or

Bananas cooked on the BBQ, can be studded with chocolate drops for children, rum/ Malibu for the adults

MrsLeonard Sun 15-Jun-14 13:34:24

no veggies. maybe worth doing a tray of chicken drumsticks as well?

TiredCassandrasbed Sun 15-Jun-14 13:42:29

I don't like chicken at a bbq, it is either overdone or underdone. I never touch it unless I cook it myself.

We're doing a BBQ today for 4 adults and 4 kids. There will be grilled sardines, huge wagyu steaks (we live in Texas, they are mammoth!), chicken satay with peanut sauce and burgers for the kids. Also jacket potatoes, garlic bread, green salad and tomato salad. Ice cream for after and my friend is bringing a cheesecake. It's hot here so minimum effort.....

softlysoftly Sun 15-Jun-14 13:46:33

Sucuk!

Tis amazing wonderful stuff that works well with hallumi and pitta

www.istanbulfood.com/sucuk

softlysoftly Sun 15-Jun-14 13:47:28

(pronounced sujuc btw

2Kids2Cats1Dog Sun 15-Jun-14 13:50:36

I also think it sounds like a buffet rather than a bbq.

MrsLeonard Sun 15-Jun-14 13:54:11

the chicken would be cooked in the oven then finished off on the bbq. its more of a party than a strict bbq so am happy with that food.

"...am i missing anything out?..." My invitation? winkgrin

It sounds like a wonderful menu, and I am sure everyone will be more than happy with that selection!

MrsLeonard Sun 15-Jun-14 14:08:30

ha ha grin not sure i can cope with any more people, i only have a little garden so 20 odd will be a squeeze. thank you. i have just submitted the order to asda. i will make a load of cupcakes on wednesday while ds is at school, and possibly a victoria sponge or 6.

rootypig Sun 15-Jun-14 14:14:56

Gracious a lot of underwhelming responses here! sounds divine OP, I'll come grin. a good twist on coleslaw is beet, apple and celery (matchsticked) - make a yoghurt dressing (yoghurt, a little mayonnaise, lemon juice, mix to taste), sprinkle with chopped walnuts and the celery leaves.

I'd probably substitute little pavlovas for cupcakes too - easier, and more special.

rootypig Sun 15-Jun-14 14:28:07

(raw beets)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now