Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I've just confused my mother

(94 Posts)
RhondaJean Sat 14-Jun-14 20:31:39

She phoned to tell me she's fine.

The conversation somehow got onto ironing - she has a big bundle apparently."you must too" she said.

"yes" says I " I do - and DH has quite a lot to do as well now I look at it"

It's going to take her days to recover...

grin

Mine is the same.

Whenever I go up to visit them on my own, if I ring DH while I'm there she will invariably ask me to thank him for nobly doing without me, and will ask if he is eating ok. He has told her he enjoys cooking but she's not quite understood what that means yet.

Singlesuzie Sat 14-Jun-14 20:35:19

Ironing? confused whats that? grin

RhondaJean Sat 14-Jun-14 20:37:11

Haha suzie you would kill her.

Nishky Sat 14-Jun-14 20:38:47

Oh god yes- my brother was due to have an 8 hour operation on his back and no-one with him when he woke up, so I decided to go up for a few days, when I told my mother she said:

' but who will look after the children'

Me: 'dh'

Mum: 'but dh has to work'

Me: 'actually I work as well'

Mum: 'oh that's not the same'

angry

RhondaJean Sat 14-Jun-14 20:39:43

LRD she still thinks its nice that I have a little job for pin money (I have an undergraduate degree, two post grads and a masters at present and earn about twice as much as DH just now, not that that the money matters but all the same...)

I have to grin so I don't sad

Singlesuzie Sat 14-Jun-14 20:40:34

grin

My mum rols her eyes and tuts when i mention i dont iron. She regularly offers to do mine and i say i dont have any and she'll say "you do really" and then look me up and down. grin i get immense pleasure from the frustration she has due to not being allowed access to my wrinkly clothes.

RhondaJean Sat 14-Jun-14 20:42:19

I have several friends who don't iron and I have never noticed the difference - but it's taken all my strength to give up towels, underwear, teatowels and gym tshirts the conditioning runs deep.

It's partly technology, isn't it? If that's the right word. I have loads of clothes in fabric that doesn't really crease. My mum does too, but she acts as if everything is linen or cotton.

What really confuses her is modern bras ... I need to get her onto the invention threads. She's convinced she's about a 40C and the proudest moment in my life was getting her into a 36F which, she admitted, felt rather better (I think she's actually about a G cup, minimum).

Then she went to bloody M&S and is wearing a 40D. hmm angry

RhondaJean Sat 14-Jun-14 20:50:53

My mother in law is just the same. Her sister in law (recently retired as a head of service in children and families social work) is regarded as somewhat up herself because she (gasp) SENDS HER IRONING OUT TO BE DONE and her brother does his own.

RhondaJean Sat 14-Jun-14 20:51:50

Oh and I'm pretty sure my mother just wears whatever approximate bra size she can get in the sale grin

mawbroon Sat 14-Jun-14 21:01:33

Mum: what would DH like to drink?

Me: I've no idea, you'll need to ask him.

Mum: ho ho, how long have you been married and you don't know what he wants to drink?

me: WTAF? confused

ItHasANiceRingWhenYouLaugh Sat 14-Jun-14 21:24:37

I particularly loved in when my MiL said that her daughter (my husband's sister ) was the perfect wife for her husband because she had no expectations of him to get in the way of his career.

Unlike me and her son, obviously, because he cooks and does the kitchen.

Annunziata Sat 14-Jun-14 21:31:22

I can't imagine my DH ironing confused How does he have a bundle, he does his own clothes but what about sheets and towels and things, do you have a rota?

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sat 14-Jun-14 21:32:25

oh blimey, my DH is a paragon to my DM just cos he 'looks after the children' and ........ 'can make cheese sauce' smile she really cannot get this whole idea that being a family and sharing household chores can be shared by two people doing full time jobs. dread telling her DH does all the ironing grin

RhondaJean Sat 14-Jun-14 21:33:53

Please don't tell my mum annunziata but we don't iron towels...

I tend to do the bedding as I like the way I do it, he is fine with pillowcases though (I'm a bit funny about my bed)

Are you all watching the Italy game later?

LauraChant Sat 14-Jun-14 21:35:27

Sheets and towels and things grin

DH's shirts are the only things that get ironed in this house. By him, obviously.

Annunziata Sat 14-Jun-14 21:37:37

you don't iron your towels? <faints>

grin

No, I'm in myself with baba. DH and the older ones are all at work and then they're having a party.

What do you think of our new man??

Thecircle Sat 14-Jun-14 21:37:55

My ex was a lazy twat, literally didn't help at all with anything.

His 75 year old gran told me IWBU to expect him to do anything as he worked and in her day it wasn't expected.

Erm hello! So did I, more hours than him. I left 2 years ago and his washing machine and iron, and quite possible his oven is unused since then

MarysDressSways1 Sat 14-Jun-14 21:39:48

People iron towels and sheets?? But... I don't understand. (Never iron anything so it's all academic)

We don't iron. Both sets of parents find this mind-boggling.

We recently went on a self catering holiday with MIL. Apparently, on my night to cook, this was fine. On DH's night to cook she seriously could not sit down. She was permanently hopping up to check he was ok, and that didn't he think he'd chosen something complicated.

He did chicken and bacon salad.

RhondaJean Sat 14-Jun-14 21:41:29

I'm reserving judgement. I hadn't heard of him but i like what I read now so I'm quite hopeful.

Annunziata Sat 14-Jun-14 21:45:17

I don't understand how you can't iron towels and sheets... I couldn't sleep in a wrinkly bed!

I really love ironing blush

I like him too Rhonda.

MummyBeerest Sat 14-Jun-14 21:45:37

Eye-ron?

My mother does this too. As far as she knows I do it every Sunday. ..in her imagination.

MummyBeerest Sat 14-Jun-14 21:46:40

Oh, and she irons jeans. And pillowcases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now