Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Receiving a Montblanc pen; what does it say about the giver?

(96 Posts)
LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 14-Jun-14 20:22:25

If you were to receive such a pen as a gift from someone you're friendly with, what would you think the giver feels about you?

They're wickedly expensive £280+...

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 14-Jun-14 20:25:20

Er that they'd been out and bought it.

SamanthaJones Sat 14-Jun-14 20:27:10

I'd think they (giver) had a decent income and that they think you're (receiver) classy and someone who appreciates nice things. They might also be making a comment about your enjoying writing/always sending nice cards if that's something you do

But I could be massively over thinking it!

CaulkheadUpNorth Sat 14-Jun-14 20:27:46

That they thought it would be a nice gift.

SamanthaJones Sat 14-Jun-14 20:28:18

But if you received it from someone you DIDNT know very well I'd think er too expensive a gift, why have they given me ths v expensive pen?

MirandaWest Sat 14-Jun-14 20:29:48

Would depend how well they knew me and then how much giving that would make a dent in their income. And also whether I wanted a pen like that.

EBearhug Sat 14-Jun-14 20:30:37

I would be shocked that anyone would spend that much on me. But I would also think they know what I'm like, that I do write and that I like writing with a proper pen. But I don't think there is anyone I currently know with whom I have the sort of relationship that I'd be comfortable with them spending that sort of money on me, even if I knew they could afford it.

ZenNudist Sat 14-Jun-14 20:33:48

You're a very good friend to them and/or the giver has pots of cash.

What's the context of the gift?

I wouldn't know it was expensive, because I'm not into pens. I think if it was a special present I'd be a bit disappointed and if it wasn't I'd be a bit puzzled. Sorry, I know that sounds rude, I just wouldn't think to see if a pen could be that expensive!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 14-Jun-14 20:44:27

Thanks for all the comments; it's somebody I work with (client/contractor), I'm moving jobs so it's a 'goodbye' gift really. We're good friends. This glorious pen was given to me yesterday and I'm really touched - and terrified that I'll lose it. I wouldn't have bought something like that if it were the other way around - a nice wine perhaps?

I know how much they cost because I was looking at getting one for my husband who absolutely WOULD lose it.

annielouise Sat 14-Jun-14 20:44:39

Depends who the giver is to you. You say you're friendly, not close friends then? Have you done them a massive favour and they're repaying it? My ex gave his accountant a Mont Blanc. I knew exactly how much they cost and thought it ostentatious. So did his accountant!

annielouise Sat 14-Jun-14 20:46:11

Just saw your update. Then they're very generous and they appreciated your work and thought highly of you. I hope it makes you happy whenever you use it. I'd love one.

Oh, that sounds very sweet of them, then.

It's not possible they have some kind of funds for this, or get them cheap?

SamanthaJones Sat 14-Jun-14 20:47:11

Ah, in that case I'd say

Lovely! Would expenses have paid for it - PA have bought it? And...

Does he fancy you?

HermioneWeasley Sat 14-Jun-14 20:47:13

I would be hugely touched, but also assume it was tax deductible from their perspective!

SamanthaJones Sat 14-Jun-14 20:48:19

But equally

They can afford it
They're good friends
They want to show their appreciation
They want you to remember them

So it's nice!

KellyHopter Sat 14-Jun-14 20:49:40

I would assume they were very well off and therefore this is their equivalent of a nice wine.
Or maybe that they were recycling a gift with no idea of its original cost (I imagine most people wouldn't have a clue).

Pagwatch Sat 14-Jun-14 20:49:47

It's a lovely gift , something few people would buy for themselves but something that lasts forever.

Dh received one from his two key staff when he left. He was immensely touched. It's a lovely thing.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 14-Jun-14 20:50:29

Oh I really hope he got it cheap/tax deductible/expensed. It's such a lot of money but a really beautiful pen. It will probably sit with my beautiful journal that I bought myself about ten years ago, looked at often and wondered whether I had anything 'worthy' enough to write in it (I haven't yet). At least my journal has some good company... grin

No, Samantha, we really are just good friends.

SamanthaJones Sat 14-Jun-14 20:51:35

Fair enough! In which case, how lovely, enjoy it!

MuttonCadet Sat 14-Jun-14 20:52:31

It's a fairly standard leaving gift in our firm (but paid for by colleagues).

Pagwatch Sat 14-Jun-14 20:53:39

Christ alive, that's depressing.
I would buy a mont blanc in a situation where I want something significant but not overly personal/sentimental.
I won't now.i don't get tax deductions.

Bloody hell.

ManchesterAunt Sat 14-Jun-14 20:55:20

I bought one for my Dad once, it wasn't so expensive (under £100)

pipsy76 Sat 14-Jun-14 20:55:45

It would tell me the giver doesn't know me well enough to know I'd prefer a Biro and £279 to spend on my horse wink

MaryWestmacott Sat 14-Jun-14 20:56:18

Hmm, I'm with Samantha, I'd think they fancied you... just becuase you are just friends, are you certain they don't have a bit of a crush? (you wouldn't be the first person to be completely clueless that someone fancies you because you do'nt fancy them so haven't looked for signs)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now