Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Is anyone else letting their children stay up to watch the footie???

(111 Posts)
Dickorydockwhatthe Sat 14-Jun-14 19:20:23

Ds are 6 and 9 dh thinks we should wake them up but I'm not sure :-/

FatalCabbage Sat 14-Jun-14 19:22:23

DS1 is nearly six. He has gone to bed early on the promise of being woken up to watch the second half with DH and a midnight feast.

Jungfraujoch Sat 14-Jun-14 19:23:34

My two are going to the pub with their dad to watch - 9 and 13. I'm just pleased I dont have to have it on at home!!

Frontier Sat 14-Jun-14 19:24:48

mine have asked but as they don't show any interest in football usually and are only asking for the late night I've said no. If they were genuinely interested i would.

Are any England games at sensible times for UK viewers?

lucysmam Sat 14-Jun-14 19:25:36

Um, no! Dd1 would talk constantly through it & dp would get increasingly irritable the more she talked. Dd2 is pretty much ready for bed so we're chilling in front of some cartoons for half an hour.

ikeaismylocal Sat 14-Jun-14 19:26:53

Can't you just record it and watch it tomorrow morning? It's not as if they are going to look on Facebook and find out the result early.

FunLovinBunster Sat 14-Jun-14 19:29:29

No.
It's term time.
It's only a football game.
Getting a 6 year old up at midnight.
Are you on glue?

Dickorydockwhatthe Sat 14-Jun-14 19:29:41

Will the pubs even let children in to watch??? I've said know as ds too young I may wake ds 9 as all friends are watching it

FunLovinBunster Sat 14-Jun-14 19:30:32

Taking a 9 & 13 year old to a pub is not something I would do.

Frontier Sat 14-Jun-14 19:31:05

lol Ikea you don't watch football as a rule do you? It's sooooo not the same, no matter how much logic tells you it should be

FunLovinBunster Sat 14-Jun-14 19:31:32

If all your child's friends were jumping off a cliff would you let your child join in just because everyone else is doing it?!

Frontier Sat 14-Jun-14 19:32:27

Fun, that depends entirely on the pub

PrincessOfChina Sat 14-Jun-14 19:32:35

The next England game is at 8 or 9 and the final group game is 5pm.

I'd let older children stay up. They probably wouldn't last that long anyway!

ikeaismylocal Sat 14-Jun-14 19:35:01

lol Ikea you don't watch football as a rule do you? It's sooooo not the same, no matter how much logic tells you it should be

I think it would be the same for small children though, it's how fun you make it for them, maybe get together with some other families so the kids can watch together.

MrsRuffdiamond Sat 14-Jun-14 19:37:58

Watching football at midnight is nowhere near as dangerous as jumping off a cliff, Bunster!

Are you on glue? grin

TalisaMaegyr Sat 14-Jun-14 19:38:18

FunLovinBunster, it's a Saturday night! So what if it's term time confused

If I was staying up, I would let my lot get up and watch it if they were interested. As it stands, they all hate football, including DP. Yay!

Frontier Sat 14-Jun-14 19:38:27

Thanks Princess. In that case I don't feel bad about saying no- if they have suddenly become footie fans they can watch those but i bet they aren't interested enough to watch all the way through.

For children who are properly into their football i wouldn't hesitate though. Surely you'd let them stay up on a Saturday night for a special occasion (wedding?) For people who care about football it doesn't get much more special than the WC

Dickorydockwhatthe Sat 14-Jun-14 19:38:47

No but he is 9 and he's not normally into footie but I am hoping it might convert him.

TalisaMaegyr Sat 14-Jun-14 19:38:59

To be honest, your username is a bit misleading wink

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Sat 14-Jun-14 19:39:33

Funlovingbunster - agree wholeheartedly, and what's more, it's England for gods sake, were not winning anything are we

BornToFolk Sat 14-Jun-14 19:42:36

No, DS is a 6 and really into the World Cup but no way is he staying up. He's happy for me to record it and we'll watch it tomorrow. If he was a bit older (and more likely to sleep in tomorrow...) then I would.

I am going to take him to the pub to watch the match that's on at 5pm though.

Frontier Sat 14-Jun-14 19:43:25

Unreasonable - that's the reason it's so important ti watch the group games!!!

Anyway I think our new young squad with an English manager (no "foreign" manager has ever won the world cup) might surprise us. I don't expect to win but I do expect to see some entertaining football for a change.

Fattyfattyyumyum Sat 14-Jun-14 19:44:32

No way for any child under 10 in my opinion.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 14-Jun-14 19:47:31

I would if they wanted to/would be able to stay awake. DC1 could do it, but has no interest in football and will just ruin for the rest of us. DC2 loves it, but just won't be able to stay awake. DC3 isn't interested and can't stay awake.

Cockadoodledooo Sat 14-Jun-14 19:48:12

Ds1 is 10 and won't be watching tonight - he's got a cricket match in the morning and the decision not to watch was entirely his own. I'd have let him if he'd asked and was able to have a lie in tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now