Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Is it possible to clean cardboard?

(16 Posts)
UnderEstherMate Sat 14-Jun-14 12:22:18

And if so, how?

I bought a christening gift which came in a nicely decorated cardboard box with ribbons and the "handmade by..." stamp on the back. DD has decided to play with it with greasy bacon fingers while I was washing up! It is now covered in grease stains. The christening is tomorrow morning and I won't get a chance today to go traipsing around the shops looking for another suitable box. Is there any way of salvaging the original box?

motleymop Sat 14-Jun-14 12:23:45

I might be tempted to try a little cif on a very small patch!

TobyLerone Sat 14-Jun-14 12:25:10

I doubt it. You'll just have to giftwrap it.

motleymop Sat 14-Jun-14 12:27:36

depends if it's got quite a glossy coating to stop the grease actually absorbing in I guess

UnderEstherMate Sat 14-Jun-14 12:31:42

No glossy coating, just ribbons. I can't gift wrap without a box as it's a loose keepsake. I think I'll have to try the Cif!

motleymop Sat 14-Jun-14 12:32:45

oh gawd - i'm not sure about the cif on plain cardboard - I was thinking of a sort of hard glossy coating type affair! grin

Mrsjayy Sat 14-Jun-14 12:32:46

Dab it with a facewipe if you have one I did this with a gift box and it lifted tge greasy crisp mark that I left

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Sat 14-Jun-14 12:34:52

Stick some pretty paper to the box and cover the whole thing. Then either give it as it is, with a bit of ribbon maybe, or wrap it in a different paper.

lucidlady Sat 14-Jun-14 12:36:07

Try a babywipe

UnderEstherMate Sat 14-Jun-14 12:44:34

Good idea youdontneed, why didn't I think of that! Always the simplest things..?

motleymop Sat 14-Jun-14 12:47:35

You'll lose "handmade by" stamp if you cover the whole thing but it does seem to be the best option!

TobyLerone Sat 14-Jun-14 12:48:30

That's what I meant. Wrap the whole box.

UnderEstherMate Sat 14-Jun-14 13:29:13

Oh, I thought you meant giftwrap the actual gift Toby grin.

I know motley, it seems such a shame! sad

Baby wipe?

And write on the cardwhere it's from

spiderlight Sat 14-Jun-14 13:47:31

Magic eraser? Re-covering the box sounds like the easiest option though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now