Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I NEED to eat meat (30 yr vegetarian), help me!

(86 Posts)
DroppingIn Sat 14-Jun-14 11:44:16

I am anaemic, my body is falling apart and my mind is buggered.

My GP has said I need to eat meat after being a vegetarian since the age of 12 (now 42). I do not tolerate iron pills very well. I had had 4 pregnancies including twins.

I have looked into the blood type diet as I am very overweight and tired and I am also suffering from stomach/bowel issues due to a high bread/wheat diet. I am now in agony when I eat it. For my blood type, I should apparently have a red meat based diet with no wheat/grain products. Not sure I believe it but it makes sense considering the way I feel and it has good reviews.

I have also just read 'The meatfix' about a guy with similar problems to me who was a vegetarian for 26 years. Within a few days of eating meat, he was feeling 100% better with his stomach issues totally resolved. Something to with stomach acid changing when eating meat.

So how can I do it? I have tried having meat on my plate, even as far as in my mouth, then I spit it out!

I could not eat the liver DH cooked me last night and later on thought, 'fuck it you need to do this', so went to Tesco at 10pm and bought a massive rump steak, cooked it to perfection then could not eat it so DD (17) devoured it in literally 5 mins uuummmming over it and commenting on it's velvety texture and juiciness! How could I have raised this carnivore? She had a bad stomach before she ate it, then said within a few mouthfuls it was gone.

Please help! I need to start caring about myself more than a bloody cow I have never met! How can I force myself to eat it? I am terrified of it. I know I am irrational. I have always cooked it for DH and the DC.

LostInWales Sat 14-Jun-14 11:46:52

How about starting with a nice, light, meat broth made into a lovely soup with tonnes of vegetables? Surely you need to start slowly, or just get some spatone, lovely,easily absorbed iron, in a liquid form.

magimedi Sat 14-Jun-14 11:47:05

I think that liver or steak would be very hard to start with. Maybe try chicken or even some fish (I know it hasn't got the iron content) to get you back to the taste & texture of flesh.

calzone Sat 14-Jun-14 11:47:08

Start with chicken as it is a much lighter texture and flavour.

Liver? . Bleurgh! I eat meat but could not take liver.

Steak is too extreme at the moment.

Maybe some bacon in a salad.....sauteed spinach, fresh or frozen.

Build up gradually then come and join the low carb thread!

crispyporkbelly Sat 14-Jun-14 11:48:17

Chicken noodle soup mmmm

crispyporkbelly Sat 14-Jun-14 11:49:02

Oh and if you're going to eat meat after 30 years make it a ribeye not a bloody rump steak!

adsy Sat 14-Jun-14 11:50:12

Fair enough to want to eat meat for health reasons but why are you believing bollocks about different blood types needing a different diet?!

gamerchick Sat 14-Jun-14 11:50:29

I don't think a steak is the way to go yet, or not a full one at least. A corner cut into little slivers maybe to start with.

What about beef slices shredded very thin into something to try trick your brain a bit? I have to hide meat in food so my youngest will eat it.

Nerf Sat 14-Jun-14 11:53:26

Why not contact the vegetarian society for advice on iron sources or try spatone with orange juice? No way could I eat meat again so I totally sympathise.

TulipOHare Sat 14-Jun-14 11:54:11

Start small? Straight to liver or steak is a bit full-on. Meaty broth as someone said, or slivers of meat in a veggie stir-fry? Stew?

I love meat but couldn't do liver!

And if you can afford to, buy the best quality high-welfare meat you can. It is better for you (OK, just my opinion) and may ease your conscience a little bit.

quirkychick Sat 14-Jun-14 11:54:26

I would second a meat broth. Taste but not the texture. Liver and offal is quite a strong taste!

Make sure you get good quality bones for the broth as it takes out all the minerals etc. so you don't want meat with poor welfare as it will give you any nasties too. It might help you feel better about consuming meat as a veggie too. Apparently pressure cookers make quick stock.

there are plenty of alternatives to steak and iron pills for iron confused

cakesonatrain Sat 14-Jun-14 11:54:54

I agree that you should start more gently than zero to steak or offal!

Bacon butty?

scarletforya Sat 14-Jun-14 11:56:00

I used to be a veggie. I started with chicken, then sausages.

Liver is something I could never eat, it's revolting. Steak is hardcore too, although I had a lovely one when I was pregnant.

Have some lasagne or a nicely made burger to start with

Oldraver Sat 14-Jun-14 11:57:31

What kind of liver did you have as it is quite a strong flavour ? If you can get calf liver this might be better for you. Its got a very soft consistancy and is very subtle, its not as 'red' as other liver. You will probably have to get it form a butcher. Get him to thinly slice it, you wont need much

quirkychick Sat 14-Jun-14 11:57:33

Or marinate chicken. The texture/flavour changes and is more digestible.

If you are interested paleo/primal diets focus on high welfare meat and loads of vegetables.

DoItTooJulia Sat 14-Jun-14 12:00:25

Start gently!

Try making something like a vegetable soup, but use chicken stock and build up to it.

That's if you're sure you want to. I'm a veggie, have been for 30 years like you and I couldn't eat liver or steak even if I had a medical need, I just couldn't do it.

Smoothies made with one third greens like kale or spinach with high vitamin c fruits will boost your iron while you're building up to a meat diet.

Best of luck, hope you feel better soon.

AtSea1979 Sat 14-Jun-14 12:05:23

I second spatone. This happened to me, I was vegetarian for 5 years though and then had to go back to eating meat. The first meal was difficult and I lay in bed all night trying not to be sick, because I couldn't stand the thought of a dead animal in my tummy but it did get easier. I made spag Bol with quorn mince and some real mince mixed in.

Barbabelle Sat 14-Jun-14 12:08:11

It sounds as though it's all the wheat that's caused your problems rather than lack of meat. I would definitely remove grains from your diet but rather than introduce meat I'd focus on more fruit and veg, particularly oily fruits like avocado and olives. Spatone is great and a couple of sachets a day with some vitamin C will help. It's worth looking into B12 as well. I use either patches or a spray. You'll probably recoil at this, but colonic irrigation is brilliant for removing the build up of debris that wheat products cause. You'd then be able to absorb more of the essential nutrients in your diet.

whatsagoodusername Sat 14-Jun-14 12:09:42

Definitely start with something easier! Beef is more difficult to digest, I think no scientific basis for my thought, just experience. A full steak would be daunting. I too wouldn't touch liver!

Maybe chicken salad? Or a vegetable soup with chicken broth, incorporating small bites of chicken.

Or vegetable soup with beef broth, if you really want to do beef for the iron content.

Aliceinvodkaland Sat 14-Jun-14 12:12:36

i was vegetarian for fifteen years and also had really bad stomach problems, i started eating meat and felt better straight away, i couldn't believe it ! smile

I agree, meat broth is a good place to start, going for liver or steak from a standing start is too drastic.

Psychologically, it will probably help to buy the best quality meat you can, in the sense of the animal having had the most 'natural' life possible, so free range etc whenever you can. Also, some cultures say a type of grace, thanking the animal for the sacrifice before they eat it. Not something you have to do out loud but a sort of acknowledgement in your head might help?

On the blood type diet, It doesn't work for everyone but other people get amazing results from it, I believe there is something in it, if your heritage is generation after generation of vegetarians then chances are that you will be absolutely fine doing the same long term. However, if your parents, grandparents etc were omnivores, it's likely you will need meat eventually - as your body is telling you.

TwoKidsAndCounting Sat 14-Jun-14 12:15:47

Did you know tinned black currents in juice have a higher iron content than any green veg and meat, second is tinned sardines in tomato sauce!

I second spatone too, expensive but effective.

What you need is IRON, not meat.

Iron can be found in beans (kidney, pinto, soy etc), lentils (a handful of lentils has about as much iron as a steak I believe), kale and spinach (which are both easy to add to smoothies), a lot of green vegetables like broccoli, Brussels sprouts etc, nuts and some dried fruits like apricots and raisins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now