Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Costume for school play - how am I going to provide this?!!

(17 Posts)
eleflump Sat 14-Jun-14 10:15:21

DS has come home with the costume I need to supply in one week's time for his Year 5 school production.

I have got family staying all weekend for a World Cup barbecue and work full-time, but somehow I need to provide (and I quote):

Billowing breeches, a frilly shirt, high cut boots, waist-coat and a hat.

We have a waist-coat and I suppose I could try and find a pair of black wellies somewhere in the middle of summer to do for the high cut boots, but have no idea about the rest.

Has anyone any suggestions, bearing in mind that I have the sewing/craft skills of a gnat?!

Think I'm going to have to waste another load of money find a fancy dress shop on ebay...

AlerieVelaryon Sat 14-Jun-14 10:24:21

are any of the footy loving family members creative? They can sew whilst watching the football ? Sat in a circle....maybe.

I think you will be fine. I thank the lord that mine are in secondary school + college now and are not of a thespian bent. I remember this well, I used to get away with dress up costumes although one year the costume I sent in was so bad that someone took pity on DS and gave him a spare costume without telling me. Will the school help if you tell them about all of the above WOH, busy, footie loving and not a sewer? There might be a earth mother type with extra costume making capacity?

Olbas Sat 14-Jun-14 10:24:52

I hate this, why do schools always think we have "just the right thing" laying around for school plays.

Frilly shirt... You can use fabric glue/ double sided Velcro to attach lace to a plain white shirt. Only by the time you have faffed about with that you could have brought one from a charity shop.

Billowing breeches. Jogging bottoms with padding in the pockets to make them stick out a bit.

dietcokeandcadburys Sat 14-Jun-14 10:26:35

For the trousers how about just cutting the bottom half of the legs off a pair of old trousers and tying the bottoms with a piece of string? For the shirt I'd probably just use a normal white shirt, maybe one a few sizes bigger. What character is he playing?

cathyandclaire Sat 14-Jun-14 10:29:07

Is he a Zorro -ish type or a pirate?

Biscuitsneeded Sat 14-Jun-14 10:30:22

Breeches, yes, go to primark/tesco and unless your DS is quite solid you can buy some age 4-5 jogging bottoms that should do. Boots - do you have any?? It won't matter if they are too big, just for a play. Shirt with frill, tricky, maybe charity shop if you can despatch a relative there this weekend, or a plain school shirt with something pinned on the front? What sort of hat? From your description he sounds like he's being a musketeer or a cavalier or sth similar.

meditrina Sat 14-Jun-14 10:32:45

Try a trip to a second hand shop.

A pair of too-big trousers with belt hooks can be hoicked in to stay up and billow baggily, and be cut off just below the knee. If you sewing skills stretch to it, rehem and put elastic in the bottom of each leg - if not glue/tack on a strip from the bit you've cut off to tie below the knee for the knickerbocker effect.

And cross your fingers that they have a lacy blouse. They might even have a hat.

Ignore the boots - plain dark shoe with dark knee length socks will give similar effect, and no-one's going to find/pay for suitable boots.

cashmiriana Sat 14-Jun-14 10:33:32

I had a similar costume to make for DD2

For the billowing breeches I bought a pair of cheap black knee length harem pants off the market.
Found a frilly 80s style shirt in a charity shop.
She just wore her sister's black knee length boots. Riding boots look great if you know anyone with horses.

Alternatively, over the knee black socks, and make some big gold cardboard buckles to stick to black shoes.

eleflump Sat 14-Jun-14 10:38:37

Thanks all - apparently he is a Shakespearean gentleman if that helps any.

Too big trousers tucked into dark socks for the boots is a good idea for the boots and billowing trousers - I have no imagination for stuff like this so thank you!

Will try second hand shops - I don't think I am going to find a boys age nine frilly shirt, but I suppose there might be something from a very small lady!

Next step will be to convince footy-mad DS that he has to wear it - might just chuck it in a bag and leave that one to the teachers....!

Thurlow Sat 14-Jun-14 10:42:51

Ooh, I had to be a Shakespearean gentleman (hmm) when I was a kid - my mum sewed big nighttime pads into my trousers to make them billow out!

charity shopping - will the school provide stuff if necessary?

CatsCantTwerk Sat 14-Jun-14 10:46:34

I feel for You op. I hate the way schools expect you to magic up costumes out of thin air.

My ds school is pretty amazing but I was so annoyed last week ,I sorted out all the dressing up stuff which I had in the house and took them to the school. These included:

A full shepherd
A witch
A Tudor Princess
A Sheep
A Cow
2 x Skeleton
A King
A Knight
A Queen
A Bear.
An Elf.

I thought they would be used for school plays and would maybe help out some parents who might be struggling and suggested this as I handed them in but no, The head teacher said 'Thanks very much, I will give them to reception as they love dressing up'.

hmm

eleflump Sat 14-Jun-14 10:52:52

Ok - have found this so I presume this is what they mean:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lace-Cravat-Jabot-Victorian-Edwardian-Neck-Tie-Black-White-Red-/380818909644?pt=UK_Period_Theatre&var=&hash=item9762eca219

I could put this over a white shirt, and we already have a grey waistcoat...

Try putting in black adder costume into ebay search for more ideas. IMHO the collar will look more Tudor if the lace points up.

cashmiriana Sat 14-Jun-14 14:41:57
AuntieStella Sat 14-Jun-14 17:17:14

Wouldn't a Blackadder costume search lead to giant comedy breasts and codpieces?

grin

No. I searched Blackadder before I made the suggestion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now