Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I need some Jewish MNers to explain Matzos to me.

(79 Posts)
frogs Fri 13-Jun-14 22:16:15

My neighbours donated us a massive box of unused, unopened groceries when they moved out. Including three boxes of Matzos, which are not something I've ever tried before.

As far as I can see, they are very very big crackers. You can break them into more manageable-sized bits, but the crumbs go everywhere. And when you try to spread stuff on them, they break into even smaller pieces, creating yet more crumbs.

Am I missing something here? How are you meant to eat Matzos? I know they have a religious significance for Passover, but do people eat them at other times of year as well? And also, we tried one box and the matzos were slightly sweet-tasting, whereas the ones in the other box are more neutral, more like standard cream crackers.

So please, will someone explain Matzos to me? confused

CorusKate Fri 13-Jun-14 22:19:40

I'm not Jewish but I've eaten a lot of Matzo crackers. If they're Rakusens then they break nicely along the lines of holes. I'm not keen on Rakusens kosher for Passover ones in the red box; they're a bit heavily cooked. Not sure why some tasted sweet - are they all the same sort?

kelper Fri 13-Jun-14 22:20:36

I'm not Jewish, but i recently discovered matzo crackers. they're yummy, I've been treating them as a massive cream cracker, and having cheese and cucumber on one as lunch. also broken up and dipped into hummus.
You have to spread stuff gently, but you can keep them in one piece smile

Devora Fri 13-Jun-14 22:23:34

I am Jewish but I don't think you need to be to work your way through a Matzo smile. We always had the Rakusens ones as kids but tbh, unless it's Pesach they're a bit pointless, aren't they? Like rice cakes or lettuce.

Quite nice with hummus or baba ganoush. Or lime marmalade.

imip Fri 13-Jun-14 22:24:28

Not Jewish here either, but good with butter and Vegemite and like the challenge of not breaking them. Kids love novelty factor of how huge they are!

CorusKate Fri 13-Jun-14 22:24:47

If only lettuce were just pointless. Malevolent stuff.

kelper Fri 13-Jun-14 22:25:22

What is baba ganoush?!

DrFunkesFamilyBandSolution Fri 13-Jun-14 22:25:56

The blue box is nicer than the red.

Smother them butter & jam, have to say I've never broken a matzo!

Will hae to try them in hummus kelper!

frogs Fri 13-Jun-14 22:26:08

What are they eaten with at Pesach?

Sounds as if the rest of the time anything goes - hummus does sound good, though I have found marmite quite satisfactory too. smile

CorusKate Fri 13-Jun-14 22:26:19

You can get little matzo crackers that are cream cracker sized too. But they price them like fancy crackers, not like matzos. Matzot? Matsos?

My parents aren't Jewish but dp's mum is. Both dp and I had matzos at home when we were growing up, and both our families used then as crackers for cheese grin

Though dp's mum does make matzo ball dumplings that go in (delicious) chicken broth

Baba ganoush is roast Aubergine dip iirc

Hassled Fri 13-Jun-14 22:27:59

I have a Matzo related joke. Actually it's Marilyn Monroe's joke: when she was married to (Jewish) Arthur Miller she ate Matzo Balls at his parents' house several times. Eventually she asked "isn't there any other part of a Matzo you can eat?"

Fishandjam Fri 13-Jun-14 22:28:44

Matzo French toast. Dip in beaten egg (carefully as they go soggy v quickly, and tear), and fry in butter.

<drools>

kelper Fri 13-Jun-14 22:28:54

oo baba ganoush sound yummy, thank you cat and Willie*

FranKatzenjammer Fri 13-Jun-14 22:29:00

They are yummy with marmite and cottage cheese (another Gentile here).

At Passover you can't have anything leavened as the Jews didn't have time for their bread to rise before they had to flee. So matzos represent that. They are used in the religious ceremony in the home, plus the matzo balls I mentioned before

You can buy smaller sized ones. I am not Jewish but love Matzo crackers. I first had them in South Africa and prefer the red box which I have never seen in the UK.

Tesco have just ceased to stock them. I panic bought in Sainsbury's last week.

frogs Fri 13-Jun-14 22:30:36

Matzos have balls?

Ah, now I'm really worried I'm doing something wrong.

grin

CorusKate Fri 13-Jun-14 22:32:52

Wondering what percentage of matzos (matzoes?) sold in the UK end up being eaten by Jewish people - looks like you didn't need that qualifier in your title, OP grin

Exit you get the red box around Passover

I believe (though this may be Jewish family having me on), the rabbi goes and blesses the factory line

MamaPain Fri 13-Jun-14 22:33:14

I am Jewish, we always used to have them in the house and I invariably have a box indoors.

We did use them as big crackers with hummus, or with salads and yogurts. Also for light teas, I think my mum used to say we had them because they're dairy free, but would then happily melt cheese on them or serve with various dairy products.

Only other reason I can think of having them is for the Seder.

CorusKate Fri 13-Jun-14 22:33:54

The red ones tend to only appear around Pesach IIRC (and are sometimes heavily reduced afterwards, which is how I ended up with several boxes of the damn things).

SheherazadeSchadenfreude Fri 13-Jun-14 22:34:12

Matzot are large pieces of cardboard eaten in lieu of bread at Pesach.
The truly hardy make "cake" with them by arranging layers of matzot with chocolate goo. <shudders>

You can use matzo meal (crumbs) for making dumplings for chicken soup. It is excellent for coating fish with before frying it (dip fish in egg, then crumbs and put in pan).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now