Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

my snake is awfully thirsty

(65 Posts)
siiiiiiiiigh Fri 13-Jun-14 21:01:26

He shed three days ago, and is now drinking loads. Ate yesterday, as usual. Not seen him sit and drink before - he's been popping in and out the water all day. Should I panic google "diabetic snake", or, is this normal?

And, no, title's not a eumphemism. Sorry about that.

BonjourMinou Fri 13-Jun-14 21:02:25

Thought this was going to be such a dodgy thread! I know nothing about snakes. Sorry.

RhondaJean Fri 13-Jun-14 21:03:09

I'm on to blatantly ask for a snake photo please!

Sorry not to be helpful.

LotsaTuddles Fri 13-Jun-14 21:04:12

I thought it was going to be about something else entirely too sorry [sorry]

But I know nothing about actual snakes either though. Hopefully someone who does will be along soon

Another shameless request for a photo. I would love a snake. I would call it Hissing Sid and I would occasionally wear it provocatively.

Wish I knew more about snakes sad. Our bearded dragon (rest his soul) never seemed to "drink" but he would lay in his water bowl often and was a lovely healthy boy.

Heathcliff27 Fri 13-Jun-14 21:08:49

I also got the wrong end of the stick there so to speak.

As you were.

LemonMousse Fri 13-Jun-14 21:11:28

Another who thought 'Aha - Friday night thread - this'll be a larf' wink

But I do hope your snake is ok. I've never though about a snake drinking but I suppose they do smile

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 13-Jun-14 21:12:13

he might not have felt like eat and drink when shedding. My lizard is v grotty when shedding (like dragon PMS) then seems to eat and drink extra to makeup for it after. I always help him to shed to speed things up as he gets itchy and irritated

Our snake used to coil itself around the water bowl to keep cool when it was particularly warm, I wouldn't worry about it drinking more than usual. Apart from which, what are you gonna do?

TiggyD Fri 13-Jun-14 21:18:05

Why not get a rabbit instead?

Ratbagcatbag Fri 13-Jun-14 21:19:10

My snakes drink a fair amount, that said little snake (relative, he's five ft) doesn't drink much, big snake often is slurping away. They've both been more restless the last few days though, weather is muggier so maybe that's part of the reason.

QueenOfThorns Fri 13-Jun-14 21:21:37

I came expecting a euphemism for something rude, but I'm not disappointed, because there's a photo of a snake dressed as a rabbit!!!

HoneyDragon Fri 13-Jun-14 21:22:42

I know you guys love your pets

I know I'm irrational and this is totally my issue but.....

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!

<<runs from thread sobbing and screaming>>

HoneyDragon Fri 13-Jun-14 21:24:07

<<runs back in>>

I hope your snake is just hot and tired and feels better soon

Or some one knowledgable arrives to put your mind still ease

<<resumes hysterical screaming and running away>>

Wuss grin

BlondieBrownie Fri 13-Jun-14 21:27:49

I would also request a photo please.

Also what type of snake have you got?

I would suggest google.

Sorry I haven't been more helpful!

RhondaJean Fri 13-Jun-14 21:30:15

What do you mean a snake dressed as a rabbit?

It's just a quite thin rabbit isn't it?

confused

LotsaTuddles Fri 13-Jun-14 21:39:22

I thought this would be a funny thread but I have to admit I'm with Honey

<covers eyes and backs away before people start uploading pictures>

hiddenhome Fri 13-Jun-14 21:44:18

Did he fast for a while prior to shedding?

hiddenhome Fri 13-Jun-14 21:45:04

This is my snake.

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 13-Jun-14 21:50:00

beautiful

FruVikingessOla Fri 13-Jun-14 21:53:01

Blimey [impressed]

We had an albino corn snake, white and gold with pink eyes, he died in the bath (don't ask blush).

hiddenhome Fri 13-Jun-14 22:00:59

Snakes are good at swimming.

desertmum Fri 13-Jun-14 22:06:06

as a bit of a snake-a-phobe can I ask pet owners why they have them ? I understand dogs and cats and rabbits and stuff, but don't understand the snake thing. I do wonder if I touched one and lost my (running away from a stick that looks a bit snakey . . ) phobia I might end up as a fan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now