Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Incompetents on huge pay...do you know any?

(101 Posts)

Can't go into what's inspired this post as I'll rant and out myself, but I'm just SICK of encountering people in my line of work (education) who are on high pay but are utterly incompetent. I don't mean in the sense that they need a bit of support - more downright lazy, negligent and dishonest.

An example - a previous boss of mine never quite seemed to be on top of things. She was a head teacher but always gave the impression of just not having much of a clue what was going on. She then left and her office was taken over by new Head. Virtually every neatly-labelled file on her shelves turned out to be empty or stuffed full of junk. Nothing was in place, including vital paper work. Lesson observations have vanished. Performance management paperwork missing. She was on 60k.

Really struggling with work at the moment. Anyone else know examples of massive incompetence that will cheer me up?

Not just education and public sector. I used to work for a private technology company. The guy who was brought in to 'manage' the team (I use the term 'manage' very loosely as he did no such thing) was so incompetent it was scary. He'd sit at his desk eating all day, take credit for everyone's work especially mine, but the minute something went wrong, it was all our fault. Got paid a fucking fortune too. He didn't like me much as I got so sick of his antics I questioned everything he asked me to do - a woman questioning his authority really pissed him off grin

bringonyourwreckingball Fri 13-Jun-14 20:56:12

Yep. Our marketing manager, paid more than me, full of shit. Head of comms, utterly useless, massively over promoted. Our organisation is so large it's easy to hide

CrotchMaven Fri 13-Jun-14 21:00:36

It's not just public sector.

Actually, there are a lot of people out there who are convinced (and are promoted on the back of) their own marvellousness when they are anything but. Sadly, the ones who really are great don't always shout so loudly. It's kind of a mark of their excellence. (I am currently working in a brilliant team, for a fantastic boss, and we are fighting against both our innate modesty and the incompetence of our loud but bullshitity competitors). And I have past experience (and that of family members) of quite eye-watering incompetence of managers.

I asked on another thread about managers. The op was asking about offering an outsourced service to root out duplication and lack of coordination between departments. I asked why management weren't already doing that (and what they were there for) and killed the thread.

CrotchMaven Fri 13-Jun-14 21:29:06

I killed this one too?

^^ points and stares.

Killer.

CrotchMaven Fri 13-Jun-14 21:37:27

I'm dancer

ImperialBlether Fri 13-Jun-14 21:39:36

So many in education.

The Peter Principle is the principle that everyone gets promoted to their own level of incompetence (I think.)

BikeRunSki Fri 13-Jun-14 21:41:00

My boss's boss. Talks the talk, can not walk the walk. He has been moved sideways. I hope he keeps going til he falls off the edge.

ImperialBlether Fri 13-Jun-14 21:48:27

grin

RickyDinkPanther Fri 13-Jun-14 22:02:07

But how the devil do they get these roles at these amazing levels of pay? Salaries like that just seem unattainable and v rare from where I'm sitting. (I'm looking for roles in the private sector - not sure if that makes any difference...)

onepotatotwopotato Fri 13-Jun-14 22:04:48

Oh lord. So many public sector managers who couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag.

Several of my former managers amongst them. One of them used to allocate work to a team member who didn't exist, except in his head.

CrotchMaven Fri 13-Jun-14 22:06:03

Bullshit & golf clubs.

And other people hiding their light under a bushell. Modesty is a virtue unless you are going for promotion.

thenightsky Fri 13-Jun-14 22:08:50

I got rung up by someone on twice my salary to ask for advice the other day. She actually said... 'I'm only a band 6 nurse, I shouldn't be expected to make decisions like this'. My reply was...'so you think its ok to ring a band 4 secretary to make them for you then?'

The Head of Mental Health Services, Head of Adult Mental Health Services and Associate Medical Director too, as well as one of the consultant Psychiatrists.

All utterly corrupt wankers.

quite a few senior roles seem to be about justifying their own existence in terms of their output i have found

rinky you don't have to actually do the work, you just have to convince the people who make decisions that you did it, or at least led/influenced other people doing it

thenightsky Fri 13-Jun-14 22:13:01

Madame We work in the same Mental Health (foundation) Trust? shock

Sicaq Fri 13-Jun-14 22:14:16

Quite a few tenured academics do bugger all and live off the results/publications produced by the fixed-term contract post docs. angry

RickyDinkPanther Fri 13-Jun-14 22:15:02

Willie sad This thread is so depressing. I'm bursting a gut doing exams to qualify in my field to try and progress. I have it all wrong. In fact a lack of integrity is actually all I need. (not that I could do it)

Iggly Fri 13-Jun-14 22:15:34

The higher up you go the less work you actually do. So you get out of touch and become shit.

RickyDinkPanther Fri 13-Jun-14 22:17:38

I've heard it said that 'shit floats'.

A bit of a generalisation, but I can see where it comes from.

NormHonal Fri 13-Jun-14 22:18:20

My DH grin.

To be fair, I think he just uses up all of his powers of organisation and competence at work. At home he's a bumbling ninny who couldn't can't organise a sock drawer. grin

I often question how he gets paid what he does in light of his daily inability to remember his keys in the morning, spell or punctuate.

Or it's all a big ruse so he gets out of housework hmm.

But he works bloody hard, very long very tough hours, so the OP doesn't apply in that regard.

I wonder if SamCam would say similar about Call-Me-Dave? wink

CrotchMaven Fri 13-Jun-14 22:19:01

Of course, what often happens is that managers serve those above them, rather than manage those below. Or even think about those without, which is what's most important.

Grim.

Technically, I'm a manager, but it's very flat. And our focus is out, towards the client, so there is very little strife because we are all looking the same way.

SquattingNeville Fri 13-Jun-14 22:19:57

I know a teacher like that. Hates her job, hates the kids, puts in just enough work to say she's done the work. Creates drama wherever she goes.

CalamitouslyWrong Fri 13-Jun-14 22:20:19

<looks at every level of manager above her>

Yes. And they generally seem to get worse the higher up you go. The people at the top (on ludicrous salaries) are mind bogglingly useless. So much so, I really don't see why I can't eventually get somewhere up there too. I honestly couldn't be any worse that the shower running the place now. I'm pretty sure my 4 year old would be more effective at running a large organisation than they are.

CrotchMaven Fri 13-Jun-14 22:22:57

The thing is, those who are competent will not get anywhere within an organistation with idiots further up. Because you'll show them up. If you are in that kind of firm and have ambitions upwards, move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now