Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Traffic in London

(31 Posts)
squirrelweasel Fri 13-Jun-14 15:05:32

Hi, I'm going to lego land next Wednesday then to watch the eagles at the 02 at 7.30. Would leaving lego land at 5 give me plenty of time to get to the 02? Thanks smile

andsmile Sun 15-Jun-14 18:19:19

Have you checked out travel lodges - sometimes you can get the quite cheap. It may be less stress if you travel over say before if possible.

AllabouttheE Fri 13-Jun-14 19:51:16

You can't park in Greenwich. Nightmare and very expensive.
So park at O2 and bus into Greenwich. Except buses are now cash-less so either get oyster or find yellow ticket machine or contactless bank card (one for each adult). Kids free on bus with adult. And tube. Not train. If no yellow machine at O2 bus station, buy travel card in the tube station.

Loads to keep you and children busy all day in Greenwich.
And a fab free swings park with sandpit and pool for paddle boats.
2 museums and usually special stuff during summer. Cutty sark is now v expensive but eat lunch in front of it!
Greenwich market is also fun.

Yy to foot tunnel to mudchute for farm which is also free I think.
ride the DLR up front pretending to be a train driver
Take boat up to London Central. Don't try and do large London museums as they are further west than the boat and more of an effort.
South bank has udder belly all summer
Aquarium
London eye
All very do-able with boat journey. Boat about £6-8 return for adults and children have to pay. Travel card not valid on boat but would be if you tube or train into Central London.

Sleepysheepsleeping Fri 13-Jun-14 19:06:21

You can get boat up and down the Thames from the O2 cheaply (Thames Clipper hop on and off, buy tickets on the day) could get off at Tower of London, or Westminster and just see the sights. Tate Modern and walk over the bridge to St Pauls. You must take them on the Emirates Cable car right by the O2, again can buy tickets on the day, way cheaper than the London eye and fab views (slightly nerve wracking if scared of heights but most kids are fine, was adults I have seen looking nervous!)
There is a climbing thing to the roof of the O2 which you could look into for your older ones if you're going with a DP. If it's a hot day there are fountains for the younger ones to mess about with in front of the O2 and restaurants galore in the O2, an 18 m old would just love running about in the big space inside. I don't feel the love for Greenwich that everyone else does, I like doing proper Londpn things in London and I think Greenwich is a nice green break for Londoners iyswim?

HelloDoris Fri 13-Jun-14 18:35:43

Mudchute farm is brilliant for little ones, you can hop on the DLR or walk through the foot tune from Greenwich. That said there is LOADS to do in Greenwich itself, museums, a huge park... A most makes me wish we lived back there!

Andcake Fri 13-Jun-14 18:30:42

Depending on the ages of your kids Greenwich every time. One of the most lovely places in London and if your from a little place in Wales the view from the statue of Wolfe needs to be seen by everyone in their life time ( in my humble opinion) grin Iconic

CharmQuark Fri 13-Jun-14 16:37:44

Where are you staying?
Are you driving down from Wales that morning?

CharmQuark Fri 13-Jun-14 16:35:54

Nancy75 - the M25 is horrendous at that time of day - it would either be M4 - M25 and then clockwise and down the M11, A12 or 13 and some terribly congested bits down through E London to get to O2, or else a long route on the S half of the M25 and then the M2 up through SE london - also awful.

squirrelweasel Fri 13-Jun-14 16:30:20

No only the older boy is going to see the eagles with myself and my mother (he appreciates good music wink )

CharmQuark Fri 13-Jun-14 16:24:43

Well, let's see - massive queue to get out of Legoland, Motorway at rush hour, driving through London at rush hour... awful journey!

Greenwich, because it is so close to the O2.
Greenwich Observatory,
Astronomy Museum,
the Planetarium, which has some showings suitable for younger children - check website for times and booking -
the Maritime Museum which has great interactive bits for kids
,Cutty Sark,
Greenwich Park is lovely and you get fantastic views of London from the top of the hill.
DS loved the Maritime Museum and Planetarium when he was aged 6-10.

The cable car over the river by the O2 is good.

At O2 Jimmy's World Grill is a popular place to at with children - you pay a basic buffet price (under 11's half price, 4 and under : free) and then you can eat what you like. The food comes from a range of 'live stations' chefs cooking from a range of cuisines, fresh to your order. You can re-visit as many stations as you like. Including ice cream. I was very snotty about the whole idea and assumed the food would be awful, but actually the fresh cooked food was excellent - South Indian Dhosas being my favourite.

beccajoh Fri 13-Jun-14 16:19:12

Kids travel free on the tube. Write off the parking for the O2. Are the kids going to see the Eagles too (is the the band?)? Leaving the O2 at night can be a bit of a bun fight!

squirrelweasel Fri 13-Jun-14 16:18:10

Oh dear I really have been quite naive haven't I? Going to have to plan all of this differently by next week. Thanks everyone for the advice, taken on board. The kids would love to go on a open top bus so I guess lots of little activities and definitely the museum.

nancy75 Fri 13-Jun-14 16:17:34

you can also get to the o2 from legoland via the motor way, you don't have to go through central london, I still think it is a bit far but certainly easier

nancy75 Fri 13-Jun-14 16:16:00

you could do chessington during the day, or have a day out in greenwich. where are you staying?

Sleepthief Fri 13-Jun-14 16:12:46

Greenwich would see you right all day - the park, the meridian, the maritime museum. Stick with SE smile

Runningforfun Fri 13-Jun-14 16:12:27

I would park near a tube station and tube it to the O2. Getting to the O2 is not great driving in and even worse coming out.

I live north London and usually park around Baker Street then jump on the Jubilee Line. Then pick up the car on the way back. Have taken the car once and it took an hour just to leave the carpark.

PetraArkanian Fri 13-Jun-14 16:08:14

But still don't drive! You do NOT want to be driving round central london all day!!! Seriously just write off the money for parking at O2. You won't enjoy it and it will cost you an arm and a leg in parking!

andsmile Fri 13-Jun-14 16:02:50

free museums, natural history diansaurs etc then take tem to harrods for frozen yoghurt in the Moo Moo bar.

then go to O2

squirrelweasel Fri 13-Jun-14 15:58:17

Thanks everyone! Going to scrap the idea of lego land. Any suggestions for what to do with 4 children aged from 18m-10yrs?

cestlavielife Fri 13-Jun-14 15:55:27

where are you staying?
you would be mad to do LEGOland and then rush to a concert....park near 02 all d y do trip out to greenwich, boat on river that kind of thing.

Squidstirfry Fri 13-Jun-14 15:52:54

The best (only) way to get around London is to park up when you arrive and then use tubes / trains.

Can you park up for the day at the 02 and then use the tube to go to wherever else?

eurochick Fri 13-Jun-14 15:50:09

Last time I travelled East to West across town in a car (Heathrow to my home in SE London - not as far out as the o2) in peak times it took the best part of 3 hrs.

If you've never even been to London before, I think you would be bonkers to try to drive across it in peak traffic.

BristolRover Fri 13-Jun-14 15:48:50

spend the day in Greenwich then go to O2

Isabelleforyourbicycle Fri 13-Jun-14 15:47:40

Not a chance. I regularly drive into London and over to the east from west. You could maybe do it in those times on a quiet Sunday morning!

Lots to do in East London...near the 02. There's the sky lift thing near excel, a free interactive exhibition called Crystal ( you might want to check suitable for your kids ages) even walks along the Thames can be interesting, beaches on that part of town throw up historical items!

Have a good day!

squirrelweasel Fri 13-Jun-14 15:44:44

We have (stupidly?) already paid for parking at the 02 confused

joydivisionovengloves Fri 13-Jun-14 15:39:31

I wouldn't drive to the O2. I would park at an outllying Tube station such as Ruislip Manor or South Ruislip and get the Tube. Far less stressful and would mean you could easily leave Windsor at 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now