Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What is your least impressive or most underappreciated skill?

(116 Posts)
CorusKate Fri 13-Jun-14 15:03:26

I am really excellent at making egg mayonnaise - I'm good at hard-boiling eggs to the right consistency and without grey bits or chewy bits, chopping it up to just the right size, and adding (by eye) just the right amount of mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.

No one is ever impressed, and yet all my egg mayo gets eaten while others' sad efforts languish in the bowls, depressingly over-salted, under-mayoed, or chopped too small or too big. Some people even use salad cream shockangry

Does anyone else find that their talents go woefully unrecognised? smile

My tongue reaches to the bottom of my chin and can touch my nose. No one gives a fuck. I'm hopeless at making anything involving egg tbh, it's always slightly too runny or something.

MrsRuffdiamond Fri 13-Jun-14 15:11:02

I can juggle with three balls, but opportunities to demonstrate this are few and far between. I usually manage to show off my skill to the lo at the nursery where I work, when they're playing in the ball pool. They're totally underwhelmed, but smile indulgently at me! blush

Olbas Fri 13-Jun-14 15:15:37

Well done CorusKate.

I excel in making scones. No measuring ingredients, all done by feel of the mixture. Ask me to make 31.5 scones and they will be on a plate easily within an hour. They will be light, fluffy and just the right height and width. Do people thank me... do they heck

kukeslala Fri 13-Jun-14 15:16:00

Making myself sneeze- no one cares!

CorusKate Fri 13-Jun-14 15:16:18

Thankyou Olbas smile

I'd love to be good at scones.

I can spin plates ( Butlins. Citrus Brothers)

No-one cares (apart from when I go to Butlins and do a demo) wink

eightyearsonhere Fri 13-Jun-14 15:19:45

I can tell when my toddler is thinking of lying before he has even had the thought!

KatoPotato Fri 13-Jun-14 15:21:26

olbas can you please produce 31.5 scones for me now please??

Catsmamma Fri 13-Jun-14 15:21:34

i am deadly accurate when throwing a snowball/wet dishcloth...NO ONE is safe...hood, upside their ear, small of back... you name it I can hurl a snowball or a wet dishcloth with almost 100% pin point accuracy.

give me a ball or a stone...nope...it could go anywhere. hmm

snoggle Fri 13-Jun-14 15:22:48

I have an amazing memory for song lyrics. I know the words to many hundreds of shite 80's numbers. I only have to hear something twice and I will have most of it.

Not only is this talent not appreciated, DH actually finds it annoying, and asks me to be quiet. I am loving the fact that I seem to have passed on the talent to both DCs though.

Re the eggs, I am impressed by that. Particularly how you stop hard boilers going grey? Why do they do that anyway?

CorusKate Fri 13-Jun-14 15:27:19

You need to stick the eggs straight in cold water as soon as they've finished boiling - that stops them going grey smile

Olbas Fri 13-Jun-14 15:46:25

Kato I put them on your door step 3 hours ago... mind reading is another talent of mine grin

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 13-Jun-14 15:57:35

DH would be impressed. He loves egg mayo or egg salad as it is known here in the States.

I posted this on another thread. I'm pretty good with how to pronounce words, foreign and domestic, and I email or call newsreaders on TV when they make a mistake. They always say thank-you, but often continue making the same mistake so my helpful advice is largely unappreciated.

The last time it was Glasgow, pronounced to rhyme with cow. But he corrected it in the next newscast so maybe I am making some progress. smile

ouryve Fri 13-Jun-14 16:00:28

I can lick the end of my nose, too. Maybe we should start a club.

Sherlockmaystealyourpug Fri 13-Jun-14 16:01:16

I can correctly name nearly every breed of dog, even if it rushes past quickly with its owner, i can also utter a large array of 'squueeee' type noises when i catch sight of breeds i particularly enjoy.

i work with teens with behaviour issues, in a short term centre. The last set of Yp's were pretty impressed by this skill tbh, and i taught them a lot. The two new Yp's think i am ridiculous and silly and refuse to learn anything.

FelixFelix Fri 13-Jun-14 16:05:10

I'm another tongue-nose toucher! And I can fit my fist in my mouth. No one ever cares confused

SongsAboutB Fri 13-Jun-14 16:07:43

I can Google stuff, especially things that someone wants to buy but doesn't quite know what it is or what it might be called. I had assumed that anyone can Google stuff, but apparently not. After they have been looking for a particular thing for long enough to get frustrated my friends and family phone me and ten mins later I email them four or five sites that sell the thing they need.

Some people are grateful but some get enraged by this skill. My Mum, in particular, demands that I tell her how I found something so quickly when she had spent all afternoon looking. She appears to think that I have some secret method that I'm keeping from her, but I genuinely have no idea why she didn't find it herself.

wubwubwub Fri 13-Jun-14 16:16:37

I can untie really tight and tangled knots

wubwubwub Fri 13-Jun-14 16:18:16

I can also remember exact details of conversations that happened YEARS ago... also, details of dinners that people ate, what they had and when they had it...

people aren't impressed with that on the whole

TheLemonisinPlay Fri 13-Jun-14 16:18:57

I can name actors and what they have been in from hearing one word.

According to some it's not a skill but an annoyance.

snoggle Fri 13-Jun-14 16:49:18

thelemon see that impresses me too. I hate it when you hear a voice on the radio and just cannot place them.

My DH can always remember what he ate where. Not who he was with, why, what you talked about. Just what he ate. We can be discussing a weekend away 10 years ago and he'll say "oh yes, you mean the place where I had the halibut". hmm

MummyBeerest Fri 13-Jun-14 17:02:13

I am a champion candy floss maker. I used to make it at my old video store job and was the only one who did it well, apparently.

I get no regard for it. None.

mrsleomcgary Fri 13-Jun-14 17:18:45

I can fit my entire fist in my mouth. It impresses a surprising number of people!

ChineseFireball Fri 13-Jun-14 17:40:24

I'd like to join the touchingnosewithtongue club, please. And also the wholefistinmouth club, if that's ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now