Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Can I ask you about your toddler's sleep?

(31 Posts)
Happydaze247 Fri 13-Jun-14 14:57:16

(Please)

Quick question: how much sleep does you 1-3 yr old usually have, including their nap? (if they still nap) Also, how old are they?

I'd really appreciate an insight as dd (19mths) seems to have suddenly reduced the amount she is having. I'm wondering if it's her age, the summer (we have black-out blinds) another sleep regression or just bad luck (she's never been the world's sleepiest child).

I was going to post this in the sleep section but realised that, as most people reading that section will probably be having problems with their dc's sleep, then the answers may be a bit skewed. Thank you.

persepolis123 Fri 13-Jun-14 15:09:31

DS is 19 months. He has now dropped his morning nap and usually has 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon. Sometimes this is in one go or sometimes he has a short nap at lunchtime then a longer one at 3-4 pm.

He goes to bed between 8-8.30 and sleeps through to 7am or thereabouts. If he wants to go to bed earlier I try to keep him awake or he will be up at 4-5am.

squirrelweasel Fri 13-Jun-14 15:13:32

My youngest is 18m he naps for 10-30mins in the morning then goes to bed at 6.30-7 and sleeps until 6.30-8.

woolymum Fri 13-Jun-14 15:16:54

we are 2.5. no naps during day. approx 11 hrs overnight (with wake ups in night sometimes). he dropped naps about 6 months ago but started to seriously reduce sleep from 18 months. eldest was the same roughly.
sleep has always been an issue here!

Blamenargles Fri 13-Jun-14 15:28:04

up until 2.6 DS had 2 1/2 hr nap in the afternoon 12 till 2.30 and slept at least 7 till 7 at night.

hes now 3.5 yrs hasnt had a day time nap since last year he still sleeps at least 7 till 7 at night

cakesonatrain Fri 13-Jun-14 15:30:05

DS is 2.10, and no longer naps officially, but will often nod off in the car (this affects his sleep at night though). He goes to bed 7-7.30pm and wakes up 6-7am, but if he's slept in the day it can be as late as 9 before he goes to sleep at night sad.
At 19 mo, he was going to sleep about 7.30pm, getting up 7.30am or often later, and was napping for about 2 hours straight after dinner (so 1230 to 2.30 or similar). I recall this very well as this was when his baby sister arrived, and that 2hr break in the afternoon saved my sanity!
He did have a phase of not napping at about 18mo, which terrified me!

LongTailedTit Fri 13-Jun-14 15:35:45

DS is 3.2 and generally sleeps 7:30-7. Often wakes a bit earlier, but rarely before 6:30.

He dropped his daytime naps before he turned 2, but is having a rare sleep now - it will definitely affect his bedtime. Often won't sleep till 9 or later after having an afternoon nap.

ToriaPumpkin Fri 13-Jun-14 15:37:32

My two and a half year old still has about two hours every afternoon and generally sleeps 7-7.

Fairylea Fri 13-Jun-14 15:37:35

Ds is 2 tomorrow smile ... still has 2 hour nap from 12.30 - 2.30 and sleeps 6-6. I have an older dc as well who is 11 now and has always been a similar sleeper when she was little.

I find getting up and out with ds in the mornings to the park and plenty of walking encourages him to have a good nap. And then by 6 he's usually all tired out. I don't mind getting up at 6 with him because I get to enjoy my evenings.

happypotamus Fri 13-Jun-14 15:38:48

DD is just 3. She usually sleeps from 8ish until 8ish. She gave up on her nap in January (at the same time as she gave up on breastfeeding, refused the pushchair and announced that she was a big girl now!)

beccajoh Fri 13-Jun-14 15:40:27

Dad is 23 months and sleeps 14 hours in total, 12 at night and two at lunchtime. She went through an iffy period around 20 months where we thought she was going to drop her nap but after a couple of weeks it sorted itself out and she went back to her usual two hour nap.

beccajoh Fri 13-Jun-14 15:41:39

DD not dad!

TinyTear Fri 13-Jun-14 15:46:07

2.4yo

nap is usually 1 hour around 1pm
sleep from 8h30pm to anything between 6am and 7h30am

Ds turns 2 in a few days. I don't know any toddler who sleeps as badly as him and he always has. Goes to bed anywhere between 8pm-10pm usually and gets up between 7am and 9am. Wakes around 3 times on a very good night (rare, only happened about 10 times in his life) and up to 10/12 times on a bad night (less rare!)

He was napping for 1.5 -2.5 hours in the afternoon but the last week has decided he doesn't need naps....but sleep at night still the same. Hopefully just a phase as I'm 35 weeks pregnant and would very much like to hang on to a nap!!

Bithurt Fri 13-Jun-14 16:12:22

Ds 2, has a 1-2 hour nap in the day. If he doesn't have it early I keep him up as he tries to fall asleep about 3/4 and instead of going to bed about 7.30 I've seen him awake till 10.30. He's awake antime between 6.30-7.30.

PenelopeChipShop Fri 13-Jun-14 18:45:24

Mine is very nearly 2. Naps for 1.5 hours after lunch, about 12.30. Bedtime is meant to be 7 but often doesn't settle til 8. Up about 6/6.30. Occasionally we get a lie in until 7!

I have recently realised that the later he falls asleep the earlier he gets up! So am always aiming for an earlier bedtime but it doesn't always work.

Oh and he has NEVER slept through the night, unless you count one night of 10-5 which was never repeated. Yep, never. I've actually given up hoping now!

chocolatemartini Fri 13-Jun-14 19:03:45

2.5yo sleeps 6pm-6am if I'm lucky or more often 7pm-6pm. Sometimes he sleeps in the day if I can't stop him, in which case he goes to bed with us at 10 or 11pm blush

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 13-Jun-14 19:08:41

My 2.6yo sleeps from about 7/8-6.30 plus sometimes an hour's nap (in the buggy or car). So around 12hrs total.

The sun does mess with them. Much harder to get them off to sleep than in the winter.

enormouse Fri 13-Jun-14 19:18:31

2.7yo

Naps very rarely now. But if he's crabby he'll have an hour's nap after lunch.
Bedtime 7.30. Sleeps till 7 or 8am

19mo dd has gone right off naps...30mins today confused

I think im putting her down too late she gets overtired. I think she can only go about 4 hours after waking in the morning.

DS is 3.11 and doesnt nap anymore. starting school in sept so wont be able to then!

PrueDent Fri 13-Jun-14 20:30:51

Dd is 25 months. She goes to bed between 7 & 8 pm. Usually she's asleep by 8 - 8.30. On average she wakes once or twice a week during the night. If this happens she could be awake for two hours, possibly more. If we're lucky she'll wake at 7 but usually it's 6.30. This morning it was 5.30.

That's about 9 or 10 hours a night.

She gave up her naps about 3 months ago. Occasionally, after a bad night she'll nap during the day (today she fell asleep eating lunch), but I try to limit this to half an hour as a daytime nap impacts on night sleep and it becomes an endless circle.

So probably she has about 10 hours a day.

Tournesol Fri 13-Jun-14 20:36:42

Dd is 2.5 she goes to bed 7 and gets up at 7 or sometimes more like 8 at weekends. She naps for two hours after lunch most days.

She is same as my Older two who both needed that much sleep but all gave up naps by age 3. Sob, only six more months of naps!

PurplePidjin Fri 13-Jun-14 20:39:21

<disclaimer> DS, coming up for 19 months, was a horrific sleeper until he started walking at 14 months, and still is when he's making a mental or physical leap.

These days, he generally sleeps 5:30pm to 6am when he needs his nappy changed, then I pop him back down and turn off the monitor and we usually get up around 8. There's often a nappy change around the time I go to bed too, although it's not every night these days (he's trying to toilet train himself <eek> so holds on for a nappy even though he's happy in and asks to wear pants)

If out he's started refusing to sleep in the buggy (walked him for an hour today and he was wide awake then he had 15 minutes in the car on the way home grr!) but will do 1 1/2-2 hours in his cot at home, usually 11:30 onwards with lunch after.

As with all things, read the book your child is writing not the one some marketing company is trying to sell you! All kids are different as are all families smile

PrueDent Fri 13-Jun-14 20:39:27

Penelope don't give up hope. I've never had sleepy babies. Dd 1 was worse than dd2. She slept 9pm -6am and woke at least once. Often more.

She started nursery shortly after her 3rd birthday and within a few months began to sleep through some nights - maybe three or four in the week.

Within a month of starting school she slept through every night, except the occasional wake from a nightmare or to use the bathroom.

Now she's at the age where most of her friends are fighting bedtime and wanting to stay up late at the weekend, but dd is asking to put her pjs on at 7pm and sometimes has to be woken on a school morning.

Happydaze247 Fri 13-Jun-14 20:40:11

Thanks, this is great. I do have sleep-envy though after reading some of these posts! It's also reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who's dc isn't a 12:30-2:30, 7-7 kind of girl.

At the moment dd sleeps from 8pm- 6:30/7 overnight, with a 90 minute nap in the afternoon (most days) Up until a month or two ago she was sleeping a good 12 hours overnight and falling asleep very easily for her nap, just after an early lunch. Now she's waking earlier, won't settle for her nap until around 6-7 hours after waking and isn't tired at bedtime.

She dropped to two naps at 6 months and to one nap at 11 months so I fear she'll drop her nap earlier than the average. I'm just not ready for it yet though. On the other hand her sleep overnight is brilliant so I should be grateful for that.

It's interesting to read that some of your dc's had a little blip around 18-20 months, but than reverted back to normal - that gives me hope!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now