Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

questions for csection mummies

(68 Posts)
mrsdicko90 Fri 13-Jun-14 11:34:58

So I'm Hoping for a planned csection. But I'm terrified, I have a few questions;

*did you have staples?! I hate the thought of having them removed!
* did you have a tube in your wound to drain it?
* could you breast feed and dit up slightly after?
* did you have an epidural or spinal? Did it hurt?
* how long was you in hospital for? And how long until you could do normal day to dsy things? X

LotsaTuddles Fri 13-Jun-14 11:38:53

I had an emergency c section but here you go:

*No, dissolvable stitches
*Nope
*Yes
*Not sure but DH refers to it as a spinal (which isn't something he's know) so assuming it's that
*Just over 24 hours. Erm we lived with PiL for the first few weeks, but by the time we moved into our house I could pretty much do everything normally.

HTH

Nicknacky Fri 13-Jun-14 11:40:06

I had no staples and was stitched from inside, and no drain. I had a catheter though.

I breast fed and could sit within hours, was still on medication which helped! I was in for 48 hours and doing light day to day stuff fairly quickly, within a few days.

It is nerve wracking x

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Fri 13-Jun-14 11:42:37

Hello,

I had a planned C Section and I just wanted to let you know I had a wonderful experience. The only slightly hairy moment was when they were putting the needle in my back - I don't like needles (I actually can't remember whether it was an epidural or spinal??blush I didn't ask!)

I didn't have a tube to drain the wound.

I think I had normal stitches and they were painless being removed.

I breastfed approximately 30 mins after DS was born, I was lucky enough that he latched on straight away. I wasn't in any pain and I was sitting up (well, propped up) and comfortable.

I was in hospital for 3 days, but this was due to my gestational diabetes, they needed to monitor me and DS. I loved my stay at hospital (visiting hours and MIL - great solution!)

I was up and about a few hours after the ELCS, went to the toilet, and walked around a bit. The next day I had a shower. I had to walk with a stoop, but the painkillers were great as I didn't feel any pain. there was one moment where they were late in administering the painkillers, and boy, could I feel the pain then, but I called the nurse and the pain was gone pretty sharpish.

I must warn you though, I had TERRIBLE constipation a few days after, due to the painkillers and my diet, so just watch out for that. I thought my stitches would burst at one point, and I had the "urge to push" so to speak!! Reckon it was my body reacting to having not pushed haha. Make sure you have suppositories to hand!

PoirotsMoustache Fri 13-Jun-14 11:43:34

I had an emergency c-section and I'd have one again

*No, I had a wire stitch that the midwife pulled out at a later visit
*Yes, but it was only in for a couple of days and I was still in the hospital
*Yes
*I had an epidural and it didn't really hurt when they did it
*I was in hospital for 4 days, but that was because of a blood pressure issue, nothing to do with the c-section. I can't recall how long it was, but I don't remember it being a particularly long time.

mrsdicko90 Fri 13-Jun-14 11:44:02

Thanks,in having a panic attack just thinking about it all.but surely it can't be any worse then what my fairy has been through! Im a size 18/20 too sad

DeepThought Fri 13-Jun-14 11:44:41

12 years ago:

A running stitch that was removed on I think day 3? No drain or tube

Bf straight away with help from DH, pillow on tummy to raise baby and to help pressure on wound (top tip - when you get home really try to get feeding lying down going, you will need help with positioning at first. Rugby ball hold v good for cs too)

Had a GA as was a crash cs

In hosp I think 5 days but that was because first baby born with strep B and was v poorly (special care for a fortnight) so they wanted to keep an eye on him for symptoms

Out and about quite soon after but not driving or pushing pram or lifting toddler til about 6 weeks. Scar was numb for a couple of years

Tricycletops Fri 13-Jun-14 11:44:59

I had staples, and having them removed really didn't hurt that much. My scar is now very tidy! I had a spinal; they do a small local to numb the site first so it doesn't hurt at all. No helpful answers to your other questions as DD went straight to NICU.

lucysmam Fri 13-Jun-14 11:47:47

My answers are the same as everyone else's apart from we were in 3days as dd was small and they wanted to be sure she was feeling well & I had dissolveable stitches.

(the needle going in my back made my legs kick up as it went in, without my wanting them to iyswim - it was very odd confused grin )

Whatsforpudding Fri 13-Jun-14 11:48:09

Mine was a long time ago, but they were ordinary stitches, no drain tube, it didn't affect breast feeding (that was difficult for completely different reasons!), had an eipidural, spent a week in hospital (I think 5 days was recommended but I stayed on to see the breast feeding advisor), and I was up and about and pretty active within a few days (with painkillers at first).

I just wanted to let you know that I found the csection incredibly easy, so please don't be terrified!

VeryPunny Fri 13-Jun-14 11:48:47

Emergency section here. No staples, no tube in wound. Breastfed in theatre, as well as skin to skin. No idea if I had epidural or spinal, whatever they gave me was bloody brilliant. Pain was worst about 24hrs after, but they gave me morphine which was ace. After that, paracetamol and diclofenac were fine. Section 2am Sunday morning, home Monday, so about 36hrs after. Gradually ramped back up to day to day things, could have driven at 4 weeks. Recovery was fine.

DeepThought Fri 13-Jun-14 11:49:04

MrsD I was your size then, was fine

Don't refuse painkillers blah blah, I had co dyromol (sp) in hosp then at home the GP prescribed um um um co proxamol (now withdrawn in uk)

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Fri 13-Jun-14 11:49:15

Please don't panic! Honestly I am so glad I had a c section. It is clean and clinical and you know what is happening every step of the way. I would be so much more scared by the unpredictability of a "normal" birth.

I felt like I was off on my holiday the morning I went to the hospital for my CS!! Please try and relax and enjoy it.

petalchops Fri 13-Jun-14 11:49:30

Hi I've had 2 emergencies and one planned . The emergencies were epidural, planned was spinal. I too was terrified but spinal was amazing, totally different to epidural. Didn't feel a thing. It's a lot more relaxed than emergency so don't panic. Baby out really quick so you have that to concentrate on whilst they put you back together.

Breastfed immediately when in recovery, out in 2 days and after 1st week feel a lot better and more mobile. They give plenty of painkillers too so it's not too bad either. It'll be fine smile

petalchops Fri 13-Jun-14 11:50:22

Ps no drain and dissolving stitches

FoxtrotOscarBackToEconomy Fri 13-Jun-14 11:51:41

I had staples with an EMCS and it was a bit uncomfortable having them removed but not painful. I am very squeamish too! They were taken out 1 week after the c-section and wasn't allowed home until they were out (I wasn't in the UK).

curiousgeorgie Fri 13-Jun-14 11:52:47

I've had two C sections. I didn't have staples or a tube for either of them. For DD1 I had one long metal stitch and for DD2 normal stitches.

I didn't breastfeed but I did sit the bed up in recovery and hold my babies and give them a bottle. Once back in my room I sat the bed right up both times.

I had a spinal for both. First time was fine, no real pain, just a pinch like when you have an injection anywhere. Second time I said yes to a student. Big mistake. Took forty minutes and I ended up black and blue. But my friend is a medical student and she hates when people say no!

I was in hospital for one night with DD1, then felt great and discharged myself. Went to Starbucks that day, then my grandparents, Christmas shopping the day after pushing the pram around a shopping centre for hours. No pain, no complications. Brilliant recovery.

With DD2 I was in for 2 nights as I felt awful. Couldn't walk well leaving the hospital, struggled for weeks with pain. I was allergic to the stitches / dressing or something. Quite unusual though.

Chocotrekkie Fri 13-Jun-14 11:54:10

I had staples and a drain (but I had complications which were related to other issues).

Staples coming out didn't hurt.
Drain didn't hurt - my whole area was and still is quite numb.

Doc recommended I didn't breast feed - the drugs they wanted to give me weren't suitable. If I had really wanted to they could have given me others but they weren't as good.

I have had epidural and spinal - they were ok. They numb the needle spot and you just don't turn round !!

I was in for 4 days (but other complications) and I was driving again after 8 weeks (this is longer than most).

Ellypoo Fri 13-Jun-14 11:56:56

My second section was planned.

Stitches dissolved.
No tube.
Yes
Spinal - didn't hurt apart from a bit of a scratch
Was in for 9 days, but not because of me - could have gone home the following day.
Was up and about pretty quickly - catheter out next day so walking from then.

Watch out for the constipation - make sure you ask for whatever they can give you from the start, rather than waiting a few days!

Take the pain relief offered!!

TinyTear Fri 13-Jun-14 11:57:28

Section on Thursday lunchtime.
I WALKED home on Saturday evening... ok, what should have taken 10/15 minutes, took me 45 minutes holding on to the pram and stopping... But I wanted to do it... for me...

It was an emergency section after induction... had epidural so they just topped it up for the section.

Breastfed straight after

Atbeckandcall Fri 13-Jun-14 12:02:56

No staples or drain.

I led down on my side for the first feed, sat up afterwards no probs (the problem was my nips but that's a totally different thread altogether).

I walked 8 hours after and felt great, legs a bit jelly like though.

Stayed 2 nights and discharged almost exactly 48 hours after delivery.

I don't know if I had epidural or spinal block (what's the difference?)
Either way didn't hurt at all. They have me a local thigh before they started anything. Bit weird when they hit a nerve/something going into the spine though and I kicked the nurse, like a non painful electric shock. Quite funny really.
I was capable of driving after 2 weeks but had to wait until 3 weeks to get the ok.

HTH

OsMalleytheCat Fri 13-Jun-14 12:03:16

I had an emergency section so not quite the same situation but;

* no I had dissolvable stitches
* yes I had a drain for about 24 hours, I was bed bound and very numb for about 48 hours so it didn't bother me in the slightest
* yes I BF but it hurt like absolute hell to sit up for about 2 weeks post surgery and DH and the midwives had to pass me the baby for the first few days
* I had an epidural (because I was labouring normally initially) and they numbed the area before they inserted the needle so I didn't feel a thing, was lovely smile
* I would say it was about 4 weeks before I felt at about 90% normal! it's hard because not only are you recovering from major surgery but you have all the normal new mum things to contend with! I think it makes the experience much much more difficult!

I hope I've not put you off but hopefully my honesty will prepare you, congratulations and good luck thanks

JaynewithaY Fri 13-Jun-14 12:05:57

Hiya! I had an EMCS in December and it was a positive experience. I wouldn't be nervous about doing it again.

I had internal stitches too, but you could see a knot on the outside at each end and these dissolved.

I didn't have a wound drain, but did have a catheter in until the next day. This was the part I was worried about, but because I had a spinal I didn't feel it being put in and didn't feel a thing when it was removed.

The spinal again was totally fine. I didn't find it painful, but I was having contractions at the time which were a good distraction.

I was breastfeeding within about half an hour and did stay in bed that night, partly because my legs were still numb and partly because of the catheter (the baby was born at 16:30).

I was in hospital for 6 days, but this was because the baby had jaundice and nothing to do with the EMCS.

I was walking round / picking the baby up etc the following morning. I too was walking with a stoop for about 3 days and was sore when walking for a good few days afterwards. When I was back home I was sore when leaning to put the baby in the crib and when sitting / getting out of bed. I'd say I was back to moving normally & totally pain free by week 3. In hospital they offered lots of pain relief, I didn't need the morphine, but did have pain relieving suppositories for a few days and they worked brilliantly. A helpful tip I picked up here was to use a maternity pad across where my scar was to give it some padding against waistbands until it was no longer tender.

Good luck!

I had a csection with twins, I went for a check up on the Monday and was in theatre at 10 am on the tuesday morning!

- didn't breast feed as I had no milk, not a single drop
- had an epidural, didn't feel a thing except some pressure as they babies were pushed out
- had a long kind of wire stitch with beads on the ends that was just snipped at one end where the beads were and pulled out
- I was in hospital for a week
- trapped wind and constipation so bad I had to be xrayed to make sure everything was ok
- had a catheter
- was on morphine for three days after but was made to get up after that and move round the ward though was put in a wheelchair for going up stairs to see the babies (they were in special care)
- was asked to shave the top of my pubic area, laughed at the nurse and told her i'd be giving myself the section if I attempted it as I had zero chance of seeing a thing! grin

Linskibinski Fri 13-Jun-14 12:09:33

2 c sections here one emergency one elected. Dissolvable stitches first time, staples the next. Preferred staples to be honest! Epidural first was fine but had spinal second time round which was much better. Neither hurt at all. Breastfed with both but had no trouble and no pain just a bit of tightening of tummy muscles which was fine. I was up the next morning with the ECS just needed catheter removal which was fine. The second cs I had some complications when my bladder was cut due to sealing to my old wound so I was stuck in for a week whilst my bladder healed but again no issue with pain. I had morphine pessaries for a day then just paracetamol. You won't poo for a week, the bowel gets all moody at being thrown about so goes on strike. You will poo though eventually just remember to take a cushion into the loo to use to gently push on your belly helps if you strain! Disclaimer: this is not a poo thread. grin good luck! thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now