Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

if you ve ever had gallstone attack? can you describe the symptoms to me please

(72 Posts)
PandaPicnic Thu 12-Jun-14 07:13:03

As my dr thinks I might have gallstones

patjen Thu 12-Jun-14 08:49:08

About 3 years ago, I suffered excruciating pain in the right upper quadrant right (that's above the bellybutton) of my abdomen.

I had nights where I literally did not sleep due to pain owing to my abdomen area feeling like it was full of wind.

It was awful.

I had an ultrasound that found a large gallstone. I suffered another attack that saw me in casualty and put down for an operation.

No attacks since, but if it recurs, I will see GP and arrange to have the gallbladder taken away.

You must not ignore if during an attack you turn a yellowish shade as this could indicate a blocked bile duct. You'll be needing medical help if this happens.

They say not to eat fatty foods as bile which is stored in gallbladder is triggered to be released to digest the fat so it's probably best to follow this advice as a precaution but, in my experience, whatever I ate triggered it.

You have my sympathy.

KissMyFatArse Thu 12-Jun-14 08:57:58

Agonising pain in right side under rib cage, roasting hot to the point you feel u will pass out, shaking, clammy to touch, can't find comfort in any position. I got mine out last yr x

missknows Thu 12-Jun-14 09:13:36

I woke up in the middle of the night with a weird pain in my body (like all the way through my chest, not just the right). I knew it wasn't my heart, just didn't feel like it but couldn't figure out what was going on. I thought at first I had just slept funny and it was muscular or something. It gradually got worse and worse until I was rolling around in agony crying then after a couple of hours it slowly subsided and I went back to bed. Intended on seeing the GP in the morning but it wasn't there when I woke so didn't bother and almost thought I had imagined it. After it happening a couple more times in the next few weeks I went to the doc.

Doc thought it would be anything but due to my age at the time (21) and the fact it wasn't just on the right. Sent me for loads of scans etc and found a giant stone. From that moment on I completely cut all fat out of diet and it did reduce occurrences significantly but not completely so they whipped it out.

I only ever had the pain at night funnily enough. It was quite possibly the worse pain I had ever had and only slightly less painful than kidney stones. (My body just likes creating extra bits!) It was horrible because staying still didn't help, moving and stretching didn't help, so I use to end up sitting rocking in tears when it happened.

I now work with someone who had attacks when younger but they didn't have a giant stone and cutting fat out of the diet stopped her pain so she just doesn't eat fat now.

echt Thu 12-Jun-14 09:35:04

Shocking pain in upper right quadrant. I could feel something in my chest writhing; presumably muscles in spasm?? Only in the small hours of the morning for about eight days. An ultrasound showed nothing. Never recurred. I was 56 at the time.

On the other hand, the tales of those who've had gallstones removed and STILL have the symptoms are legion.

funkybuddah Thu 12-Jun-14 09:55:39

Pain, lots ofpain but started like the pain you get when you have a tummy bug but higher up.

I had my gallbladder out and aside from a few errrm 'quick evacuations'of certain foods im 2.5 years on and have no affects

Arsepaste Thu 12-Jun-14 10:05:21

Worst indigestion ever, a tight bad of sheer pain around the chest, sweating, and just plain pain. Sleeping sitting up used to help during an attack, but not much. Antacids didn't help (much) either.

Not as bad as kidney stones though, in my experience.

Echt, I was just saying the other day about getting the beginnings of an attack. Sickness, diarrhoea, cramps, collicky pain and then nothing. Even 10 years after the op to remove mine I occasionally brace myself for an attack that just builds up and then stops

mystifiedNanof1 Thu 12-Jun-14 10:33:26

I'd rather give birth!! Excruciating pain upper right quadrant, spams, sweats, wanting to vomit. Avoid laying on your left side as attack comes frequently at night when you lay on your side and the stone moves to cover the opening of the gallbladder. Also avoid fatty foods, ALL fatty foods.
I had mine out years ago and since then can not tolerate some foods any more, sadly bacon being one of them, but it is far better than the excruciating pain I experienced

Arsepaste Thu 12-Jun-14 10:36:28

I have heard some horror stories about the effects of having your gallbladder removed, but I'm one of the lucky ones - having it removed hasn't brought on a single symptom of anything. I can eat what I want, and sleep how I want, but I'm aware it's not the same for everyone.

Mitchell2 Thu 12-Jun-14 10:36:38

Pain in the upper right, sometimes just in the back sometimes all over.

Like someone has got your intestines and wringing them or severe spasms

Sometimes that bad, couldn't do anything but lay down and writhe in agony. No one would be able to touch or move me. And often threw up while having an attack confused

Was 17 at time, and had loads of little ones, some had gotten into bile duct. Liver started going funny in the end so had an emergency operation.

Worst pain in my life so far (but just about to have a baby so may revise this statement soon grin)

Mitchell2 Thu 12-Jun-14 10:40:43

I think the pain does differ depending on what type of stones - ie a few large ones or loads of little ones.

HobNails Thu 12-Jun-14 10:41:34

OP im in the same position as you at the moment.

Would you mind posting again and saying what your GP said?
My GP said indigestion and gave me omeprazole which helped a LOT. But still being put in for a scan to check for stones.

HobNails Thu 12-Jun-14 12:50:15

Any joy OP?

lizandlulu Thu 12-Jun-14 12:54:40

Mine was just indigestion like pain, doctor said it was indigestion for over a year. Awful horrible, just pain. Not directed at one one place, but a 'stuck' feeling in my gullet. Like I had swallowed food and it hadn't gone down properly.

Had mine removed 8years ago and never had any kind of problems since. Not had to cut any food out, no side affects. Nothing.

Hope you get sorted x

TallyGrenshall Thu 12-Jun-14 13:03:10

Vomiting.

Uncontrollable vomiting for hours only stopping after 2 or 3 injections (anti emetic? )

Bizarrely, not much pain and what pain I had was from the puking.

Evil gall bladder is gone now and, apart from cheese no longer being my friend, all is well

BallyGoBackwards Thu 12-Jun-14 13:03:11

Couldnt even put into words just how painful it was. I had stones in my gallbladder and they travelled into my pancreas. I was told it was the pancreatitis that caused the worst of the pain.

I have given birth with no pain relief (not my choice) and I would take childbirth over gallstones any day smile

Pastperfect Thu 12-Jun-14 13:29:56

4 babies, two without drugs and I would take childbirth over a gallstone attack without hesitation. The pain is excruciating. Entire upper abdomen feels like you're being squeezed to the point where you will break whilst you have shooting pains in side, between shoulder blades, under ribs.

I had my gall bladder out 2 years ago - best decision ever.

PandaPicnic Thu 12-Jun-14 13:38:47

drs sending me for an ultrasound scan

my symptoms have been

waking in the night with agonising pain, the sort that makes ypu almost call 999
worse than childbirth

no posion can make you feel comfortable

back goes throught he back inbetween my shoulder blades

the dr thinks it sounds liek gallstones

has happened three times now

diarrhoea, vommitting
sweating chills the sweating and chills only happned on the first attack

PandaPicnic Thu 12-Jun-14 13:42:39

oh and ive also just found blood in my stools
but thats happened since seeing the dr

GetLippie Thu 12-Jun-14 14:23:12

Yup, sounds like gallstones, alright. Good luck!

HobNails Thu 12-Jun-14 16:37:19

Sounds very similar to me. Except I havent got the squits, I have had the complete opposite problem for months.

Driving me nuts.

lizandlulu Thu 12-Jun-14 17:01:09

Mine also blocked one of my tubes into my pancreas which caused pancreatitis. Made me yellow and vomit uncontrolably. Also blood in wee.

Not nice

PandaPicnic Thu 12-Jun-14 17:52:15

oh i dontthink it was blood, im not sure i think it could be last nights beetroot in my salad!

all other symptoms though

can i ask hwo you felt after and inbetween attacks?

UnMasterChef Thu 12-Jun-14 18:18:52

I've read two threads now on gallstones and seriously think I must have them. I've been having attacks severe pain just below my ribcage, like nothing else I've ever known. Feeling very hot, sweat pouring off me, shaking, feeling like I'm going to pass out, but DH says I feel really cold, feeling very sick. Episode lasts 30mins to an hour and is horrible.

Wonder if it is worth going back to GP now, I'd given up going after the attacks as they never did anything about it, last attack was about 8 weeks ago, I know because I was in a large department store ordering sofas when it came on I'm still waiting for the flaming sofa, was in now way embarrasing that moment, not entirely certain what sofas I ordered smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now