Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What British values should Gove put in the curriculum?

(28 Posts)
kim147 Mon 09-Jun-14 18:36:54

www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jun/09/michael-gove-british-values-curriculum

Gove wants British values in the curriculum given what's happened in Birmingham.

Gender equality, democracy and the Rule of Law

So what values would you include?

<wonders if this thread will be serious or lighthearted>

sunbathe Mon 09-Jun-14 18:38:22

Live and let live.

ShineSmile Mon 09-Jun-14 18:44:32

How condensing of Gove to imply that British values need to imposed on others ... Like other cultures don't have their own set of equally important values

Justpickagoddamnname Mon 09-Jun-14 18:46:58

Proper queuing ettiquette.
Emotional repression.
An ability to talk about the weather, whatever the weather.
: )

Euphemia Mon 09-Jun-14 18:48:18

Laughing at foreigners and people with regional dialects because they "talk funny".

TryDrawing Mon 09-Jun-14 18:49:42

Queuing would be most important, surely?

weegiemum Mon 09-Jun-14 18:49:52

He can put "British" values in as much as he likes! but he's not actually responsible for education in Britain.

I'm not entirely sure about Wales or Northern Ireland, but I know for a fact that there's nothing he can input to the Scottish system.

Maybe he should start by getting his terminology right?????

MrsMaturin Mon 09-Jun-14 18:50:15

I would like Gove to embrace the British value of respecting the hard work of others- even if they are teachers. ATM he simply seems to regard them with contempt.

RevoltingPeasant Mon 09-Jun-14 18:50:59

Passive aggressive "politeness"

A weird dysfunctional relationship with the US whereby you sneer at them but actually import all their brands and cultural outputs

A fixed delusion that the NHS is free, mixed with a fear it doesn't have enough money, mixed with a reluctance to pay more taxes to fund it properly

ouryve Mon 09-Jun-14 18:52:05

There should be a 5 minute discussion of the weather, every morning, after registration. Even if a hurricane has just demolished the nearest village, the closing line should be "I suppose it could be worse."

Joules68 Mon 09-Jun-14 18:53:44

They need to clear up the jam/cream/scone confusion

somewherewest Mon 09-Jun-14 18:57:01

Queuing
Tea drinking
Invading other countries

meditrina Mon 09-Jun-14 18:57:12

He can put 'British values" into schools that fall into his remit. Just because nt all schools in Britain do doesn't invalidate that as an aim.

But the linked article quoted him saying; "We already require independent schools, academies and free schools to respect British values. Now we will consult on strengthening this standard further, so that all schools actively promote British values."

Isn't that bollocks? I didn't think they required anything of independent schools after EYFS.

Compulsory eating of marmite on toast needs to be on the agenda - perhaps in a cookery course that also includes toad in the hole and Eccles cakes?

ouryve Mon 09-Jun-14 18:57:16

Cookery lessons need to include lessons in making a pot of tea. In a cross curricular nod to our position in Europe, children should be taught how to ask for fish and chips in 3 languages as well as learning to use a map to find out where the best places in Spain and Greece are to stock up on Heinz ketchup and baked beans.

CharlesRyder Mon 09-Jun-14 18:59:25

I dunno how he thinks he can put anything else in now. He's jammed it up with so much calculating, spelling and British history facts there's no bloody time for values!!

meditrina Mon 09-Jun-14 19:00:30

Rum sodomy and the lash?

badooby Tue 10-Jun-14 09:16:37

The undesirability of being

a) no better than you ought to be
b) too clever by half

MiniTheMinx Tue 10-Jun-14 09:20:31

Next he will have all children raising the flag and singing the National anthem at the start of registration.

TheWordFactory Tue 10-Jun-14 09:22:11

Democracy, the rule of law, fair play and hard work.

MiniTheMinx Tue 10-Jun-14 09:28:52

Democracy, the rule of law, fair play and hard work.

Or Repressive state, property laws to protect those with property, exploitation and Zero hours contracts.

I thought this needed updating to reflect the situation as it is.

Escada Sat 14-Jun-14 03:59:18

Quiet desperation.

vrtra Sat 14-Jun-14 05:11:51

Chicken tikka masala.

Fideliney Sat 14-Jun-14 05:24:58

Rum sodomy and the lash?

What is this rum sodomy medi? Sounds interesting grin

Proper use of pavements and staircases. We are excellent at that.

daisychain01 Sat 14-Jun-14 05:44:01

ShineSmile, I see no harm in reinforcing the values British people hold dear. I personally feel we always stop short of stamping our true identity on our nation, and end up looking like we dont have a backbone so it could be a good opportunity to stand up and be counted. I am sure our values are universal and will be welcomed by all major faith-groups which will have a unifying effect.

- Our generosity, whenever there is a humanitarian crisis
- And our ability to don a decent coloured feather bra and jump into vatts of Heinz baked beans to raise funds, even when its pissing down with rain.

Sub-text, it's critical we continue to have the ability to call the French "frogs" if only to pay them back for calling us "les ros-bifs". But we should take a leaf out of their book and and learn to suck our teeth whilst ignoring all (pathetic) EU laws.

daisychain01 Sat 14-Jun-14 05:48:35

Minitheminx, perhaps you ought to go and live in a lawless state where there is no welfare state, employment or freedom of speak before casting dispersions over everything that has been achieved in our country over generations. Come on, what's with the negativity?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now